For those of us in the summer months, fresh tomatoes are at
their peak - making this article from The Kitchn, "15 Tips to Help You Get the
Most Out of Your Tomatoes" particularly timely. Here's their
list, we hope you find something new:
- The best place to store tomatoes to keep
them fresh and juicy.
- How to store leftover tomato slices.
- Got cherry tomatoes? Here's how to cut a lot of cherry tomatoes in half all at
- The best kind of knife for slicing tomatoes.
- How to ripen still-green tomatoes.
- Love green tomatoes? Here are some recipes for green tomatoes.
- The best tool for crushing tomatoes - you almost
certainly have one already!
- The scientific reason why conventional tomatoes are often so tasteless.
- Tips for making the best tomato sauce you've ever had.
- A great way to preserve tomatoes for sauce: Freeze them!
- Why a wide pan is best for making tomato sauce.
- Broiled, roasted tomatoes: Here's how to roast tomatoes under the
- Tips and encouragement to help you can tomatoes this summer.
- Peeling tomatoes? Freeze them first to make peeling them a
- How to identify real San Marzano tomatoes.
And don't forget how easy it is to find recipes at EYB, whether
in your cookbooks, magazines, or on line. Here's a game plan to
walk you through some of your options if you're looking to use
- Go to our Library
- On the top tab, click Recipes
- In the right hand box, under "Only show" find tomatoes (they're in "vegetables"
under "salad") - and yes, we know that tomatoes are a
- This will bring up over 60,000 recipes with tomatoes as an
- In the box to the right, you can further sort the results by
author, date, etc. (we like "buzz" or "rating" as that brings up
talked about or highly rated recipes).
- Finally, you can filter by book, online, or magazine
We hope this gets your creative juices flowing - and
teaches you how to get even more out of your EYB membership. Bon