Want to avoid advertising?

Join as Premium member »

Forum

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

11 Pages«<45678>»
Say Hi and introduce yourself   Go to last post Go to last unread
AgusiaH
#101 Posted : Tuesday, March 01, 2011 9:56:24 AM(UTC)

Hi, I'm Agnieszka, a Polish living in Portugal for 11 years.  I love to cook and collect cookbooks.

I was absolutely happy to find this service.  I have around 1300 cookbooks in 6 languages. Fortunately majority of my books is in English so I was able to import almost 700 here. Up till now about 200 of them have been indexed.  

It was growing more and more difficult for me to really take advantage of so many books. Almost impossible to find recipes I was looking for. This site is a brilliant solution for my problems. And one more success - I have been using Eat Your Books for over a month and I am already wasting less food. If I have some forgotten ingredients in the frigde I simply make a search here and - problem solved.:)

I am looking forward for an option for the subscribes to help in indexing books (I have a lot of older editions still not on Eat Your Books).

I am also blogging about food and my cooking:
here in Polish
and here in English.

robm
#102 Posted : Tuesday, March 01, 2011 12:16:00 PM(UTC)
Welcome, Agnieszka! You should enjoy EYB a lot, with such an extensive library of books! Even at its current state, you probably have thousands of indexed recipes! it's really handy! I also want the option for subscribers to index books. I've got a bunch of Portuguese and Brazilian cookbooks (in Portuguese) I'd love to index! But for Portuguese food there are several books in English indexed already! I haven't checked for Polish cookbooks, but hopefully we'll have some of those, too! There are some very nice surprises on the site!
sandyathanas
#103 Posted : Monday, March 14, 2011 12:31:47 PM(UTC)

Hi. My name is Sandy and I just found EYB today after a couple of years of trying to figure out how to index my cookbooks in a database. I love to cook vegan food. I have a lot of cookbooks from my pre vegan days and I enjoy trying to "veganize" recipes. 

EYB is going to make using my beloved cookbooks so much easier!

MsB
#104 Posted : Sunday, March 20, 2011 3:14:31 AM(UTC)

Hi all.

I just signed up for a new member ship last night. Thought I would take it for a test drive before I sign up for the year. 

I used to love to cook and entertain. When our boys came along, and we moved away from our family and friends the style of cooking and entertaining changed. Now both our boys will be in college next year and I can already see that I'm starting to explore my love of cooking again.

The hunt for my recipes has made me committed to get them all organized. That is how I found this wonderful site. I figure I can get at least my over 200 cookbooks ( i have more in the attic ) organized. And I'm hoping you may help me figure out how to order my computer recipes and many hand written and printed recipes. 

Now to my first question :). Where do I post questions about how to use this BRILLIANT site?

Thanks in advance for all the help.

mcvl
#105 Posted : Sunday, March 20, 2011 8:02:48 AM(UTC)
Hi, MsB, welcome! There's a Forum especially for site knowledge. Go to the Forum link (the last of the links on the left-hand side of most pages), scroll down the various forums a little, and you will see just what you're looking for: Site Help, Tricks, & Tips.

mattner
#106 Posted : Monday, March 21, 2011 4:43:01 PM(UTC)

Hi, I joined when eatyourbooks got a mention in the Weekend Australian last year.  I have about 200 cookbooks and have found this site incredibly useful in reaquainting myself with some books I hadn't looked at for a long time and also in using whats left in my fridge a lot better via a quick search.

I get a bit of flak over the number of cookbooks I own so to attempt to redress this in some small way, I am attempting to cook at least one new recipe from each of my cookbooks in 11 months this year.  So far I have completed 40.  Not only do I get a bit more use out of my books, but I am also getting out of my comfort zone and trying new things, so it is all good.  I am blogging about it here

Love this site.  Keep up the good work.

kmd
#107 Posted : Thursday, May 19, 2011 1:05:19 AM(UTC)

Hi, I'm Kevin and stumbled on EYB via the Times article on search engines and cooking. I thought I'd try the free account and realized within minutes that I wanted to subscribe.  I thought I had a decent little collection of cookbooks, but realize now it's amateur hour in comparison to many/most around these part!  Time to buy some more books and make even better use of the site.  Well done, EYB.

jzanger
#108 Posted : Friday, May 20, 2011 12:19:33 PM(UTC)

Welcome, Kevin! I had the same realization last summer when I signed up and I think my collection is about half again as big as it was back then! The community here is full of knowledge and insight and a lot of enthusiasm. Jane and Fiona and the rest of the EYB team are always quick to respond to questions as well. Everyone has their own little tips and tricks for making the most of the site, and it's proven really helpful during this period of tweaking to share them with the community. Don't hesitate to speak up or look through the forum if you have any questions!

birch
#109 Posted : Tuesday, May 24, 2011 11:04:50 AM(UTC)

My name is Vicki and I live on Flathead Lake, Montana.  Like others on the website cookbooks are an entry into a new adventure.  The cookbooks accumulated from pure curiosity about other cooks and cultures  and now seem to have a life of their own, certainly now that they're started to be listed on EYB.   No one can have too many cookbooks or too large a kitchen. 

Cooking is always a pleasure and an adventure.  My husband will read a recipe in some newspaper and request not the recipe but something along that line.  Since the grocery store is fifteen miles away I make most bread products.  But my real adventure comes through day to day vegetables, salad and main dishes.  At meals we then discuss how and why the dish contains particular ingredients and cooking methods.

Part of the challenge for creating food that you've never tasted is the possibility of failure. And if it happens that's okay.   It's all edible  but part of the adventure is to absorb some of the culture.  

For example my car book is Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese  about Indian expatriates that doctor in Africa.  Over the weekend I reread my books on Indian cooking and cooked all our meals with an Indian or African theme.  Foods mentioned even in passing in movies, reading or listening intensify the experience for me.

Read a recipe with an appreciation of why ingredients and cooking methods were used.  And always think in terms of what we now know about  healthy eating. Incorporate that knowledge into everything we eat.   It's our responsibility to create food that enhances our families life not  harms it.  

Think of a recipe as something recorded at one point in time;   we then take the concept and make it our own.

Julia
#110 Posted : Monday, June 06, 2011 6:03:04 PM(UTC)

Hi - I have been a member for a few months and absolutely love this service.  My cookbook collection was growing and looking for direction and here it is!  I love checking other member's shelves to see what we have in common and what they may have of interest, love the comments in the community section and am now really excited to see member's comments on individual cookbooks.  I am so enjoying the ease this service provides in viewing my books and better using them.  I look forward to participating in this great community and continuing the collection.  Julie

ptherrien
#111 Posted : Tuesday, June 07, 2011 5:41:18 AM(UTC)

Hi. Love this website. My name is Paula and I live on the beautiful Mississippi Gulf Coast. I love to cook and do a lot of it. I enjoy cooking most all kinds of cuisines (especially Italian!), but most of my cooking is based on regional recipes; love the seafood we have available here and all the spicy, yummy ways tocook it. I have a fear of baking that I've been trying to conquer for years. I got a KA stand mixer for Christmas but haven't used it yet, plus several baking cookbooks. I've just had so many failures that I remain fearful! I mean, who can't bake a yeast bread or a buttermilk biscuit or a pie crust!!! (me). I'm 58 and have been cooking since I was 13. Have about 300 cookbooks and subscribe to several gourmet mags as well as online places; love cooksillustrated.com even tho' I have to pay for it. This afternoon I'm going to (try to) make pizza dough with my stand mixer. God help me!

Jane
#112 Posted : Tuesday, June 07, 2011 5:56:05 AM(UTC)

Welcome Julia and Paula - you are now among like-minded people who love their cookbooks and are so happy they are now getting better use out of them.

Lindainak
#113 Posted : Thursday, June 09, 2011 8:04:42 AM(UTC)

Hello, my name is Linda and I live in Alaska.  Love to cook and bake and I have been collecting cookbooks (and cooking magazines which I can't seem to throw away) for years.  In process of organizing them. This site certainly has potential and I'm hoping that it will help me out some.  Making it easier to find something that I want to make or just find and share.

Linda T.

MikeinDurham
#114 Posted : Tuesday, June 14, 2011 9:41:43 AM(UTC)

Hi I'm Mike from Durham (as you might have guessed from my user name) in England. Signed up following a promotion in the food magazine I get. Have to say this is a brilliant idea and will definitely be subsribing once the promotion is over. Can't believe some of my more obscure books are in the library and look forward to them been indexed. Carry on the good work Eat Your Books!

Jane
#115 Posted : Tuesday, June 14, 2011 10:53:18 AM(UTC)

Welcome Linda and Mike.  One of the many great things about EYB is that we are connecting cookbook lovers around the globe - Alaska and Durham, England, the Mississippi Gulf Coast and Montana.  We now have members in 64 different countries which we never anticipated when we launched the website.

alisonfrances
#116 Posted : Friday, June 17, 2011 12:23:01 AM(UTC)

Greetings from sunny Feltham (that's somewhere near Heathrow airport).  What a great website!  Am having great fun putting books in the library - I've no idea how many I've got, I lost count after 500.

Janemac
#117 Posted : Friday, June 17, 2011 11:20:41 PM(UTC)

Hi to all at EYB

I'm Jane from Luggiebank, Scotland.  Like Mike from Durham, I read about the site in a cookery magazine and thought would have a look.   Think it's great, saves so much time and I am finding it really useful using up the contents of my weekly organic fruit n veg boxes.  Like others not all my books are in the library and most are not indexed yet, but I'm happy to patiently wait more UK coverage.  

If I was a cookery book publisher I would be sending EYB index info for books ,  having books indexed in a site like this is a definite selling plus.  I've bought 8 books this week because of info and feedback about them on EYB, hope Amazon is giving the girls commission!!

Look forward to having more books indexed, off now to spend the weekend cooking and putting up more bookshelves :-)

saladdays
#118 Posted : Saturday, June 18, 2011 10:17:59 AM(UTC)

Hello everyone,

I can't believe my luck - found this site by accident when browsing the internet and had signed up within 20 minutes !  I live in England and have a collection of over 400 cookery books that I hardly use because of the effort of finding recipes. I have been busy sitting by my bookcase and adding my books today, have put over 200 on so far and 90 of them are indexed.  Some of my books I have had for over 30 years and have no ISBN numbers so will have to add those eventually.  I am feeling rather overwhelmed at the moment by being able to do this and can't wait to start using my recipe index.  I know I have a lot more to learn about using the site but I am so excited !

robm
#119 Posted : Saturday, June 18, 2011 1:06:57 PM(UTC)

Yes, as I understand it the site does receive a commission if you buy the book after clicking on the "Buy This Book" link!  It doesn't cost any more, so definitely use it to benefit the site!

Jane
#120 Posted : Saturday, June 18, 2011 3:23:47 PM(UTC)

Welcome Janemac and saladdays.  We will definitely be indexing a lot more British books in the coming months.  We are looking to take on some more British indexers so if you know anyone that is looking for freelance work they can do from home, has good culinary knowledge and data-entry skills, please point them in our direction.

robm is right that we do earn a small commission for all orders on Amazon and the Book Depository that originate from EYB.  Though to date we haven't earned a cent from either!  If everyone who does a book order online places them through EYB (they don't even have to be books listed on EYB) then we earn more money to index more books!  So everyone wins.

11 Pages«<45678>»