Want to avoid advertising?

Join as Premium member »

Forum

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

11 Pages«<56789>»
Say Hi and introduce yourself   Go to last post Go to last unread
rbarathan
#121 Posted : Tuesday, August 02, 2011 3:47:47 PM(UTC)

Hi everyone,

I'm from London and signed up to this amazing website after a magazine promotion.  Although my cookbook collection pales in numbers compared to some of the others on this website(!) - I still had trouble remembering where I saw a particular recipe.  Brilliant website - love the fact that you can index recipes from blogs!

chrisguzzi
#122 Posted : Wednesday, August 03, 2011 7:15:43 PM(UTC)

Welcome to EYB, Ihave been a member for quite a few months and recommend it to anyone and everyone - I am becoming expert at sequing to EYB in a conversation about food, books, the net, giftgiving - anything really.  I love to cook and prefer to use organic or minimal spray fruit and veg.  Working full time meant in the past that I was less organised and less inspired with using up leftovers and produce that will spoil.  Food wastage is something that I have really cut down with the help of EYB, eg.   I haven't listed all my books yet, but My husband is keen to assist now that he has eaten the results of my inspired cooking and we only have two shelves left of three 6ft bookshelves to go.  I am not quite sure where the 4th bookshelf is to go LOL.  What I have found is that I have stopped buying food mags as much - sometimes I might have bought a magazing because of a couple of recipes or a themed article but now I figure that I already have the recipe in a book that I can look up - I find that I often have more than one version in my collection already and EYB makes it so easy.  Wishing you a long and satisfying association with EYB.

AndieG52
#123 Posted : Thursday, August 11, 2011 3:06:35 PM(UTC)

Hi everyone.  I live in Lake Hughes, California and recently joined this site.  I'm happy to see that there are others who share my love of cookbooks and cooking - I used to think I was alone out there!  I guess I'm a true obsessive collector - I've just entered cookbook #492 and from the looks of it I'm only half way through!

Jane
#124 Posted : Thursday, August 11, 2011 5:24:52 PM(UTC)

Welcome AndieG52 and rbarathan

You are in good company - everyone here loves their cookbooks, whether they have 50 or 5,000.

JFM
#125 Posted : Thursday, August 18, 2011 6:37:32 AM(UTC)

Hello, I'm Jeanne and I live in Switzerland, on the Lake of Thun, with my husband. I stumbled upon EYB because I googled for a recipe with exact words (something like "ragout of spring vegetables with asparagus"). I've been collecting cookbooks in English for quite a few years - I prefer them to German/Swiss ones - and now I've discovered that there is a huge American market in cookery books! :=))) I'm particularly interested in recipes with rosemary, as I have a big garden with huge rosemary bushes. Were we live it's like a microclimate, we also have palm trees.

Best regards, and I think EYB is one of the best sites I've ever seen! Thank you for your work!

Jeanne

luckylyn
#126 Posted : Thursday, August 18, 2011 6:01:54 PM(UTC)

Hi, all - I'm Lynda, and I'm in Southern California.  I love to cook (even trained to be a chef many years ago until I realized that doing it for a living was taking the fun out of cooking for me).  I used to have a collection of about 500 cookbooks, most of them stored at my mother's house when I moved to another state.  Unfortunately, when she passed away about 8 yrs ago, my stepdad sold them all at a garage sale.

I am slowly rebuilding my collection - I would guess that I have about 50 cookbooks at this time.  To me, cookbooks aren't just a tool, but a pleasure - I love to read cookbooks in a way not all that different from when I read fiction.

I don't cook as much as I would like, between a demanding job and a tiny inefficient kitchen, but cooking is a lifelong passion of mine.  I discovered Eat Your Books through a link on another food-related website - I believe it was Leite's Culinaria - and immediately signed up.  I added a few cookbooks to My Bookshelf today (based on memory), but I am so excited to go home, go through my collection, and get as many as possible added.

Jane
#127 Posted : Friday, August 19, 2011 9:20:27 PM(UTC)

Welcome Jeanne and Lynda - Switzerland and California. I just love how international EYB is! 

Lynda - I'm so sorry to hear your story.  First losing your mother and then your entire cookbook collection, which I assume took many years and many dollars to accumulate.  I find second-hand bookstores and flea markets can be great for picking up wonderful cookbooks, quite cheaply.

Jeanne - thank you for your kind words.  It is amazing how many cookbooks there are in the world.  I expect by the time we have finished adding all the cookbooks our members request for the Library that we will have the largest catalog of cookbooks in the world.

HeatherC
#128 Posted : Wednesday, August 31, 2011 9:58:27 AM(UTC)

Howdy!  I'm Heather and I live just outside of Portland, Oregon.  I love love love this site as a tool, as I've got my cookbooks scattered all over the house and it saves me getting them all into one spot to search.  I ran across the site on eGullet, where I'm pretty active.  I bought a lifetime membership and I'm amazed by all the hard work the indexers are doing to make the site even better!  

The only (major) downside is that I keep discovering more books that I want!

nororu
#129 Posted : Monday, October 03, 2011 1:46:16 AM(UTC)

Hello everyone! I 'm from Tijuana (Mexico), we have BAJAMED food here! Which is a mix of Baja California and Mediterranean food, my favorite restaurant is Mision 19, they have nice pics in flickr.com! Well, anyways, my husband and I are real foodies, and we love to cook at home! I fell happy to join! Nice to meet you all!

:)Nororu

Leanan
#130 Posted : Thursday, October 06, 2011 2:30:46 PM(UTC)

Hi I 'm Leanan from New York and I stumbled across this little gem of a site while reading food Blogs.  I am a FOODIE at heart  and have a few amaturish food blogs of my own. I adore cooking everyday. I have a full time job in the Food Retail business and was a caterer in one of my earlier jobs. Food is my passion and I look forward to spending a lot of my Buffalo winter on this site.

Jane
#131 Posted : Thursday, October 06, 2011 3:07:20 PM(UTC)

Welcome Leanan, nororu and HeatherC - so glad you all found us.  Every piece of publicity whether it's a mention on forums such as eGullet, and on blogs, or a major article in print such as this week's Associated Press article, all help to gain EYB more members.  Just as important though is word-of-mouth so please spread the word to all your friends and family who love to cook.

Mariancb
#132 Posted : Friday, October 07, 2011 3:16:58 PM(UTC)

Hi, I too stumbled across this site while cruising through some food blogs.  I do have my own blog which started out as my spot on the web to keep all my recipes that I like then I discovered that I could use evernote so the blog now has become a place for me to practice writing about  what I like - cooking, eating out, new finds etc..  I think Eat your Books is a fantastic idea.  I have tried using digital cookbooks but I find i prefer to use the real thing.  This site is going to make finding a recipe so much more simple.  I am looking forward to using it.  My blog is:http://galleyrecipes.wordpress.com

Mennonite.Cook
#133 Posted : Monday, October 10, 2011 11:20:41 AM(UTC)

So excited - Eat Your Books is just what I've been waiting for.  Can't wait to list my books.

paoniapeach
#134 Posted : Monday, October 10, 2011 7:28:34 PM(UTC)

I just read about this site in the Denver Post yesterday and am sure it will be a huge help in finding my recipes!

sharifah
#135 Posted : Sunday, November 13, 2011 5:22:49 AM(UTC)

Hi there, I'm Sharifah from Woking, Surrey and have just joined on a full membership.  I thought I was obsessive with about 200 cookbooks and then I stumbled across this website via a blog and discovered that there are people worst than me! I feel SO much better now :-)  I am surprised that reading this post, so many people have stumbled across this website via blogs, and yet when you search using Google this website only appeared on Google page 10.  Why is that?  Why isn't it further up the search page?  Seems a shame, as I think this website is FAB, and I hope to use my cookbooks a lot more...now that I can search through my own recipes!  I will also have to go to the gym more!! :-(

LavenderandLovage
#136 Posted : Sunday, November 13, 2011 10:15:40 AM(UTC)

I just joined EYB and already love what I see! I write a food blog called Lavender and Lovage and will be back to upgrade I am sure, as I own over 600+ cookbooks that I would love to add here!

Karen

LavenderandLovage
#137 Posted : Sunday, November 13, 2011 10:16:46 AM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: sharifah Go to Quoted Post

Hi there, I'm Sharifah from Woking, Surrey and have just joined on a full membership.  I thought I was obsessive with about 200 cookbooks and then I stumbled across this website via a blog and discovered that there are people worst than me! I feel SO much better now :-)  I am surprised that reading this post, so many people have stumbled across this website via blogs, and yet when you search using Google this website only appeared on Google page 10.  Why is that?  Why isn't it further up the search page?  Seems a shame, as I think this website is FAB, and I hope to use my cookbooks a lot more...now that I can search through my own recipes!  I will also have to go to the gym more!! :-(

Had to laugh, I have just owned up to my 600+ books! LOL!

Karen

Trackypup
#138 Posted : Sunday, November 13, 2011 4:26:05 PM(UTC)
Hello everyone... Tracey from Vancouver here. Just entered all my books this morning a measly 194, a baby compared to some here. Darn impressive. Can't wait to start making better use of my books and perhaps helping out getting some books indexed.
BookishMa
#139 Posted : Sunday, November 20, 2011 8:52:55 PM(UTC)
After making several moves in a 5-year period I realized I had tons of books that I had never read and cookbooks long dormant. So I ruthlessly cut my collection. We did the same thing with a recent kitchen remodel where we allotted only so many feet to bookshelves. So more cuts.

I work for a book publisher so I'm always getting new books (have a shelf full of as of yet unopened cookbooks in my office). Now, with this service I hope to stop relying on allrecipes or cooks .coms for instant fixes and hope to keep my collection active and well-used! Of course I will need to sign on for the paid service but starting small is good!
spooneb
#140 Posted : Wednesday, November 30, 2011 9:46:07 PM(UTC)

Hi all. I cook to decompress from a frustrating day job and love to entertain large groups of friends and family. I have a substantial collection of cookbooks that I generally read for inspiration more than specific recipes and find myself consulting the internet when I want an exact recipe for something because finding what I want in the books can take forever. This application could be life-changing for me, and I'm very happy to have discovered it.

11 Pages«<56789>»