Forum

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

5 Pages123>»
Member indexing   Go to last post Go to last unread
monicahorridge
#1 Posted : Friday, October 21, 2011 8:21:45 AM(UTC)

I noticed a couple of books have been 'member indexed', but I can't find the feature for adding them myself?

I'm desperate to start adding some of my books!

Monica

line73uk
#2 Posted : Friday, October 21, 2011 11:38:12 AM(UTC)

Hello Monica, 

To request to index a book, all you have to do is tick on the request index or index requested button on a book on your shelf. You will then be given the option between asking EYB to index the book or to request to do it yourself. EYB will then reply to your request.

I have also just requested to index a book, but have not had a reply yet.

Lena

Jane
#3 Posted : Friday, October 21, 2011 5:05:53 PM(UTC)

We are just doing some beta testing on the new member indexing feature now and as soon as we are sure all the glitches are gone, we will then be announcing it and throwing it open to all members.  Though as Lena says, you can request to index books now by clicking the Request index button.  Our data manager, Deborah, will contact you shortly to let you know when we expect to start assigning the books.  It would be good if members just request one book to index at a time so we don't get inundated.

Glad you are so enthusiastic!

robinorig
#5 Posted : Saturday, October 22, 2011 11:35:21 AM(UTC)

Is there a way to filter one's cookbook list to see which books are not yet indexed?

It would be great if there was an "unindexed" box in the filters as well.

Otherwise I need to go through pages and pages of my list to see all of the unindexed books which is cumbersome.

Also, would love to see a list of page numbers so that it would be possible to jump back and forth in one's list without having to go throught the list 25 books at a time.

Jane
#7 Posted : Saturday, October 22, 2011 1:18:11 PM(UTC)

I have passed this one over to the developers.  I remember that adding the filter for Index Soon books was a quick job so I assume that filtering by Unindexed books should also be a quick fix.

The page numbers is a harder one to resolve as we don't use pages to load our search results - which is much quicker for data loading but more problematic when you want to leap ahead.  We are pondering on this one.

schambers
#6 Posted : Saturday, October 22, 2011 3:18:38 PM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: robinorig Go to Quoted Post

Is there a way to filter one's cookbook list to see which books are not yet indexed?

It would be great if there was an "unindexed" box in the filters as well.

Otherwise I need to go through pages and pages of my list to see all of the unindexed books which is cumbersome.

In the meantime, robinorig, I don't have nearly the size of Bookshelf that you do, but I have found it useful to sort My Bookshelf by popularity when I want to find the unindexed books. The most popular books are indexed, so the middle to end of my Bookshelf is very likely to be unindexed. I still have to hit the "Show next 25 books" a few times (or in your case, probably several times) before I get into unindexed territory.

Jane
#9 Posted : Sunday, October 23, 2011 12:51:14 PM(UTC)

The developers leapt on it (even though it is the weekend - thanks Zac) and you can now filter the Library and your Bookshelf by Unindexed books.

robm
#11 Posted : Sunday, October 23, 2011 4:53:22 PM(UTC)

I've indexed a few books already under the trial program.  On the whole, it's pretty straightforward and the interface is pretty easy to use.  

Please be sure to read carefully the indexing guidelines and manuals -- EYB has rules and styles for listing recipes, categories and ingredients.  If you don't want to have to go back and do lots of corrections to a book you've indexed, read these guides first!  Have a good look at the list of recipe categories (by clicking on that link in the manual) to see how EYB categorizes them.  It has many examples listed, especially of recipes that may differ by country (for example, flapjacks in the UK are not the same thing as in the US, so different categories).  There are also guides for using the "Occasion" and "Ethnicity" fields.  Read the guidelines for listing "Store Cupboard Ingredients" which can trip you up, and print out the handy shortcut abbreviations for entering common ingredients.

It sounds like a bit of a hassle, and it does take a bit of getting used to, but it's pretty quick to learn the EYB rules and guidelines and then you'll be indexing away like mad!  It'll really be great to have lots more indexed books available!

mziech
#12 Posted : Friday, October 28, 2011 7:08:05 AM(UTC)

I'm really excited that the member indexing is available. Can't wait to try it!

mcvl
#13 Posted : Friday, October 28, 2011 12:22:27 PM(UTC)

It's here!  Member indexing is here!  Thank you so much, EYB, I know how hard it has been for you to figure out how to let us index our own books without polluting the Library.  Now I need to figure out my strategy ...  I'd love to hear from other people how they're going to choose which book to index first.

mziech
#14 Posted : Sunday, October 30, 2011 8:25:10 AM(UTC)

I chose one (day of honey by Annia Ciezadlo) based on the fact that a. obviously like the book and b. it doens't contain many recipes so that I first see how this one works out. Haven't heard if I can start yet so have to wait for that first.

Jane
#15 Posted : Sunday, October 30, 2011 10:28:07 AM(UTC)
Both Deborah (our data manager) and I have power outages following the big storm on the US east coast last night. I can deal with emails and Forum posting on my iPad but admin work requires the computer and Internet access. So we hope to get back to work later today but it's hard to predict given there are about 1.7 million people without power.
robm
#16 Posted : Sunday, October 30, 2011 10:22:15 PM(UTC)

Hope it doesn't take too long to get your power back!  Earlier this evening on CNN they said Connecticut alone has 700,000 without power.  The snow came down on all the trees, which still have their leaves, so there's been great damage as they toppled over on power lines!  I'm sure it's just as bad in Massachusetts!  Hope everyone is OK!

Jane
#17 Posted : Sunday, October 30, 2011 11:14:38 PM(UTC)

Thanks Rob - power is back on which I'm very glad about given how cold it was getting.  Mind you, I feel bad complaining when I think what the Turkey earthquake victims are enduring.

After I'd posted that there were 1.7 million without power, I heard on the radio that there were 3 million.  That's going to take a long time to fix - so I'm extremely grateful that mine was just out for 22 hours.

mziech
#18 Posted : Monday, October 31, 2011 4:38:49 AM(UTC)

that sounds terrible! Hope you will soon be connected again and stay connected expecially when winter is coming.

Jane
#19 Posted : Monday, October 31, 2011 3:32:45 PM(UTC)

I just heard from Deborah that she may not get power back until Thursday night.  She's trying to work out of her local library which does have power but is full of people doing the same thing.

robinorig
#10 Posted : Tuesday, November 01, 2011 1:16:14 PM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: Jane Go to Quoted Post

The developers leapt on it (even though it is the weekend - thanks Zac) and you can now filter the Library and your Bookshelf by Unindexed books.

Jane & Zac,

Thanks so much! It's so much easier now that I don't have to go through my entire list to see what is not yet indexed. Also, at some point when I have more time, I hope to be able to index some of the books...

best,

Robin :) 

Jane
#20 Posted : Tuesday, November 01, 2011 5:41:34 PM(UTC)

When you do look at your Unindexed books it would be a good idea to sort them by Popularity.  Then avoid requesting anything on more than 25 Bookshelves as those are in our indexing queue to be done by professional indexers.  It is possible that in time we will assign more popular books to indexers who show that they can turn a book around in a reasonable time and follow the indexing rules (of which there are many!).

We have had a very good response since we launched member indexing on Friday.  You can see how many books are now Index Soon by clicking that filter.  And some members have already finished indexing their first books.  Deborah is just checking them over now and adding any new ingredients required.  You should see them start to go up in the next day or so.

judyg
#4 Posted : Saturday, November 05, 2011 7:35:41 AM(UTC)

I have just started indexing a book - what a great idea! I'm about a third of the way through the one assigned to me - and most certainly hope I can do others after this one.

loughlinchow
#21 Posted : Saturday, November 05, 2011 9:19:17 AM(UTC)

I'm pretty excited about the prospect of member indexing!  I've already put my first request through, and have read all of the user manuals -- when can I expect to hear about approval?

Thanks for alerting us to the possibility via Facebook!

All best,

Clare Loughlin-Chow

5 Pages123>»