Want to avoid advertising?

Join as Premium member »

Forum

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Substitute red wine for white?   Go to last post Go to last unread
eureka
#1 Posted : Saturday, November 05, 2011 6:57:14 PM(UTC)

I'm planing on making a roast leg of lamb tomorrow night: http://www.eatyourbooks....w-roast-shoulder-of-lamb

On clicking thru to the full recipe it calls for 1 x small glas sof white wine, but being red drinkers we don't have any on hand... do you think I would be OK to substitute red wine for the white?

Don't want to spoil a lovely leg of lamb!

Vanessa
#2 Posted : Saturday, November 05, 2011 8:39:29 PM(UTC)

I'm sure that red wine will be fine. Different, perhaps ... but fine!

robm
#3 Posted : Sunday, November 06, 2011 1:48:53 AM(UTC)

There shouldn't be any problem substituting.  In fact, you may get a more robust flavor in your lamb!  You might not want to do this in a dish where the color of the sauce is important, but in a case like this it should be fine.  You also might want to consider using a lighter red wine, like a Merlot or Beaujolais, if you have them on hand instead of the white wine.  That should keep the flavors closer to the original recipe, if that's important to you.  

Queezle_Sister
#4 Posted : Saturday, November 12, 2011 1:24:19 PM(UTC)

I have substituted vermouth for white (or red) wine.  The result was very good - but didn't do a side-by-side comparison to know if it was better or worse!  Dry vermouth is inexpensive, and for non-white-wine drinkers, it can be very useful for cocktails.  It also keeps for a long time in the refrigerator.