Forum

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Southern Living?   Go to last post Go to last unread
jrmitch
#1 Posted : Tuesday, December 20, 2011 10:31:37 AM(UTC)

How are magazines selected for indexing?  Can you add Southern Living?

Jane
#2 Posted : Tuesday, December 20, 2011 2:17:26 PM(UTC)

We ran a survey on the site for many months and based our selection on the votes.  Southern Living got hardly any votes so we haven't yet indexed any.  If you are interested in doing member indexing we could put a couple of issues up that you could then request to index.  If it then looks like many EYB members add them to their Bookshelves we can add the magazine to our regular indexing list.  If you are interested, let us know what issues you would like added - we prefer the most recent to be added first.

Slocumj
#3 Posted : Tuesday, December 20, 2011 9:38:16 PM(UTC)

That would be great to index the magazines because then the annual recieps would be automatically indexed.  There are a lot of members with the annual recipes and that would kill two birds with one stone.  I have all the annual recipe books and only two are indexed and there are 33 now.

Jane
#4 Posted : Wednesday, December 21, 2011 12:54:43 AM(UTC)

I just today paid an indexer (a lot) for another annual (2006) today so that will be another one that will be available soon.  In addition we have indexed another 4 of the Southern Living books.  The more EYB members who own the books the faster they will get indexed so encourage all fellow SL subscribers to join - maybe ask the magazine to write about us??

So I wasn't sure from your comment Slocumj if you were volunteering to index the magazine.  I can put up the last couple of issues and see if anyone volunteers to index them - they are a lot easier to do than a cookbook as they usually have a lot fewer recipes.

Slocumj
#5 Posted : Thursday, December 22, 2011 10:45:22 AM(UTC)

I am indexing one book right now, but with the holidays don't really have much time.  I am just starting and wanting to do a good job so it is very time consuming checking everything out - I am sure it will get faster and easier the longer I do it. I might consider it later.  The annual recipes are the exact recipes from the magazines so would there be a way if all the magazines were indexed in a calendar year to connect it and to also show the annual recipes book indexed?  Thank you for indexing more of the Southern Living Annual Recipes.  There are many of those books that are on more than 30 bookshelves. Love your website and all of the improvements. Happy Holidays!

Jane
#6 Posted : Thursday, December 22, 2011 1:47:23 PM(UTC)

Yes, if the annuals are just the magaines bound together in the same way that the Cook's Illustrated annuals are then we can "chunk" the recipes into each separate magazine. You would just need to let us know the start and end recipe for each month's issue so we could do the chunking.  However, if they mix the recipes up into chapters by recipe types e.g. a chapter on main courses could contain different recipes from every month (which is what Cooking Light does in their annuals) then we couldn't produce magazine indexes from the annual index.

We could certainly go the other way though.  If you index all 12 of the year's magazine issues then we can combine them for the annual book.  Just let us know when you have time to get started,  Happy Holidays to you too and thank you for your support.

cougargal
#7 Posted : Tuesday, December 27, 2011 11:59:09 AM(UTC)

I love my Southern Living Cookbooks and not many of them are indexed yet.  I hope they will index more of them soon!