Want to avoid advertising?

Join as Premium member »

Forum

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

11 Pages«<91011
Say Hi and introduce yourself   Go to last post Go to last unread
ellabee
#203 Posted : Monday, June 09, 2014 10:26:23 AM(UTC)

Welcome, Matt! (really, I guess, welcome *back*...)

With you on the America's Test Kitchen/Cooks' Illustrated practice of >> repackaging content in a million different ways (then again, EYB helps me figure out what recipes I have where, so maybe I won't end up buying the same recipes 4 different times). <<

In the several years before I really began to use EYB to the fullest, I routinely bought Cooks' Illustrated special issues in addition to the bi-monthly magazine.  Then a year ago or so I indexed one of the special issues for this site, and whoa! All but one of the recipes had appeared in the magazine not long before, some in several issues.  Haven't bought any of the CI/ATK output for a good while, but the collection I have is many, many times more useful to me because of Eat Your Books.

As is my shelf of cookbooks, which grew quite a bit due to notes and comments from EYB members, and from looking at other members' Bookshelves (fair warning!) The fever has broken a bit, and I'm down to only six cookbooks from which I haven't cooked at all (new and effective rule: can't buy a new cookbook until I've cooked from all I have). The bookmarking function is an excellent way to keep track of wishlists in various categories, and of recipes that I've made, ones I'm most eager to try, and ones that use particular ingredients.

The years I spent in Iowa in the mid-1980s were some of the best of my life; now determined to track down Little Heathens on your recommendation.  And Wolfert's clay pot cookbook has just moved a little higher on the wishlist...

Hope to hear much more from you as you cook your way through that solar-system-long list!

Rinshin
#201 Posted : Monday, June 09, 2014 6:42:16 PM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: milliganf190 Go to Quoted Post

Hi,

I'm Fiona. I have taken early retirement and now concentrate on my half acre fruit and veg plot on a lovely organic farm in the next village. I love cooking and have over 100 cookery books and a large collection of recipes saved over the years from magazines and newspapers. EYB is an amazing help both in enabling me to make the most of my collection and introducing me to new books to buy (much to my husband's dismay!) and recipes. The weekly recipe newsletter is great addition to the site. This is the first time I have looked at this part of the site and it has been really interesting to read about everyone.

Wow half acre!  I can imagine how lovely it is and work.  I Have quarter acre but since it's in California watering needs to be watched due to drought.  The fruit trees are easier to maintain here. 

Rinshin
#185 Posted : Monday, June 09, 2014 6:47:26 PM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: Kerrey Go to Quoted Post
Hi, I'm Kerrey. I'm a cookbook addict. I have about 250 and aspire to be one of the members whose collection numbers in the thousands! I cook from my books every night, and am finding EYB to be helpful in remembering my successes, planning my meals, and saving money by searching for recipes that coordinate with the weekly grocery sales. Of course, I funnel my savings right back into my cookbook collection. I'm a neonatal nurse in my other life.

hahaha, in the thousands!  My excuse is I want to eat the best tasting food as long as I can and that usually means cooking.  There are still so many foods I want to cook and taste.  Tick, tick, tick LOL

Rinshin
#204 Posted : Monday, June 09, 2014 6:53:01 PM(UTC)

ssheiles、dirtgirl、queenbookie、 Kerrey、sknitter、PatriciaW、brando、goodfruit、tobarac、jeanieINparadise、milliganf190、and MKinLA - so nice to meet you and find out a little about other members on this site! 

hillsboroks
#205 Posted : Tuesday, June 10, 2014 4:54:24 PM(UTC)

Welcome Goodfruit!  We're nearly neighbors in the Portland area.  Like you I have always tried to make use of all the seasonal bounty as it appears and EYB has been an immense help these past few years.  But it has also led me into buying far more cookbooks than I ever thought I would!  I have to tell you I have been picking up lots of Northwest cookbook authors recently and finding so many great recipes for the nuts, berries, fruits, veggies and fish in our area.  Without EYB I don't think I would have stocked up on these extra cookbooks but now that I have them I am having so much more fun in the kitchen.  Between Powell's used cookbooks and the Portland Goodwillbooks.com website I have found most of them at bargain prices too.  My most recent fun local author discovery is Janie Hibler.  Her books "The Berry Bible," "Dungeness Crab & Blackberry Cobbler," and "Wild About Game" are fabulous.  Then there are the books "Joy of Pickling" and "Joy of Jams & Jellies" by Linda Ziedrich of Scio, Oregon.  You will soon see how much fun EYB can be.

11 Pages«<91011