Want to avoid advertising?

Join as Premium member »

Forum

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Blog recipe question   Go to last post Go to last unread
robinorig
#1 Posted : Wednesday, March 07, 2012 3:35:34 PM(UTC)

I am wondering if the genious recipes are included in the food52 blog here? I ask because I tried looking for the Tartine Lemon Cream recipe but it's not listed. But when I try to tag it from the blog itself, I get a message telling me that I can't tag it because the blog is already part of the system.

robinorig
#2 Posted : Wednesday, March 07, 2012 3:56:22 PM(UTC)

In the same vein, I tried searching for David Lebovitz' Panisse recipe to tag it for later (it was just written up in a newsletter from Tasting Table). I searched under his blog, I searched under recipes, I searched under chickpea flour, and it did not come up.

I got this message:

You cannot add this recipe as it is from a blog that is already being indexed by EYB. If you have added this blog to your Bookshelf it will be automatically added.

The recipe you tried to add was: http://www.davidlebovitz.com/2008/07/panisses-1/

robinorig
#3 Posted : Wednesday, March 07, 2012 3:57:48 PM(UTC)

Here's the error message from the top message:

Add Online Recipe (?)

You cannot add this recipe as it is from a blog that is already being indexed by EYB. If you have added this blog to your Bookshelf it will be automatically added.

The recipe you tried to add was: http://www.food52.com/re...407_tartines_lemon_cream

robinorig
#4 Posted : Wednesday, March 07, 2012 4:14:15 PM(UTC)

One more...

I notice there is no "orange zest" or "orange rind" option in the ingredients menu when adding a recipe...

Christine
#5 Posted : Wednesday, March 07, 2012 5:39:53 PM(UTC)

I don't know the answer to your questions about those particular recipes, but I do know that a recipe calling for orange rind or zest should be indexed as oranges, as you would need an orange to get zest. Same thing if it called for fresh orange juice, you would also index oranges. 

robinorig
#6 Posted : Wednesday, March 07, 2012 5:47:13 PM(UTC)

I did list the ingredient as oranges, but it might be useful as zest as I keep grated zest in the freezer all the time & if the recipe doesn't call for any other part of the orange I wouldn't need to go out & get it... it might be useful as a separate item.

Christine
#7 Posted : Wednesday, March 07, 2012 5:56:06 PM(UTC)

I doubt this rule would be changed with so many books and recipes already indexed in this way, but perhaps you could make a personal note of "zest only" that you could refer to when the recipe comes up in a search? 

Jane
#8 Posted : Wednesday, March 07, 2012 11:49:17 PM(UTC)

Apologies for the delay in my reply on the questions raised here.  We are having a problem with the import of recipes from Food52.  They are meant to come through automatically on their RSS feed but we haven't had them coming through. We'll ask them again to take another look at it.

There shouldn't have been any issue with David Lebovitz's blog though as we thought we had indexed every recipe on his blog. But when I checked I found that the Panisses recipe hadn't imported, no idea why, one of the inconsistencies of data imports.  I have now added it to the blog index.

chris08226 is correct, we list the ingredient required for the recipe - so lemon juice and lemon zest are listed as lemons.  If you keep zest in your freezer that you want to use up then I can see that might be useful but as Christine says we can't go back and re-index 600,000 recipes.  I suggest you set up a Bookmark called Orange zest and whenever you see a recipe you like the look of, tag it with that Bookmark.

robinorig
#9 Posted : Friday, March 09, 2012 1:07:14 AM(UTC)

Thanks for the reply. One other thing I noticed is that once you add/index a recipe there is no way to edit it. I ask because I realized afterwards that I should have added another category to a recipe & realized I was no longer able to do so.

The solution of adding a zest bookmark is a good idea....  not asking or expecting you to re-index all the recipes already input....

thx 

Vanessa
#10 Posted : Friday, March 09, 2012 7:42:15 AM(UTC)

robinorig - The person who added the individual recipe from the internet can edit the index info for it. Just  click on the recipe (so that you get the page where it lists all the ingredients for that recipe), and there is a little gray "pencil" dot. Click that, and you can update the index entry for that recipe.

ntt2
#11 Posted : Tuesday, March 13, 2012 4:10:03 PM(UTC)

I've noticed a number of my recipes that I've saved on Food52 I can't find in the Recipes on Eat Your Books in order to bookmark them.  Am I correct that this is part of the same problem mentioned above?  thanks, nt  

Jane
#12 Posted : Tuesday, March 13, 2012 11:01:32 PM(UTC)

There seems to be an issue on the Food52 RSS feed which I have asked them to take a look at.  I have manually added all the recent recipes I could trace on their site and asked them to let us know which other recipes we should add.

We will never be adding every Food52 recipe to our index.  They only want their tested recipes to appear in our index i.e. their categories Top recipes, Community picks, Contest winners and the Genius recipes.  So member submitted recipes which have not been tested will not appear on EYB.

ntt2
#13 Posted : Wednesday, March 14, 2012 3:19:36 PM(UTC)

99% of the ones I haven't been able to pull up have been winners -- do you want names of additional recipes?

Jane
#14 Posted : Wednesday, March 14, 2012 9:39:08 PM(UTC)

Yes, it would be useful to know which ones are missing.  Thanks for your help on this.

ntt2
#15 Posted : Thursday, March 15, 2012 2:54:22 PM(UTC)

Not as many as I thought -- they had all been "entered" into contests -- had not all won!  Here they are so far:

green cannelloni - community pick

butter herb roast turkey - community pick

sweet potato and parsnip mash - community pick

orecchiette with mustard greens, country ham and potatoes - community pick

viet hapa pho - wild card winner

fig olive tapenade - wild card winner

cherry tomato spread - community pick

clafoutis framboises - community pick

thanks, nt