Forum

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

10 Pages<12345>»
Say Hi and introduce yourself   Go to last post Go to last unread
clare_b74
#41 Posted : Thursday, August 12, 2010 5:29:16 PM(UTC)

Jane wrote:

Hi Clare and welcome

We are loving having all you Australians joining up following the article in The Australian Weekend magazine.  We hadn't actually intended to launch in Australia and New Zealand until later in the year, so we are now urgently recruiting indexers and getting more Australian books indexed.  So you will see a lot more of your books indexed in the next few months.

Larousse (and Escoffier) are on our indexing lists - monsters both and not the easiest of books to index.  I own the 1988 Larousse so that is probably the one that we will start with, as it's the one most members own, then we will have to do the expanded and updated 2001 edition.  With 3,500 recipes that is going to take a while. 

Thanks Jane - yes, that's how I found you :)

Looking forward to expedited Australian indexing then - yay!

hazelsy
#42 Posted : Monday, August 16, 2010 1:45:17 AM(UTC)

Hello!  My name is Hazel and in my blog I explore taste and flavor combinations.  This means I often start with an ingredient then search for recipes that use it.  With EYB, I save hours not having to flip through all of my cookbooks!

http://www.TastyPursuits.com

bindiibee
#43 Posted : Monday, August 16, 2010 6:44:32 PM(UTC)
G'day - I'm Bindii. I have one son who's nearly 9, one hubby (he's 39 but I reckon he'll never grow up!), one black Labrador pup and one ruin vegie patch (thanks to the pup!) and we all live in Canberra, Australia.

I'm here thanks to a lovely lady at work who told me about the site. She is always buying cook books and can't stop.

Me, I always grab a cook book out of my collection, read it like a book (with a glass of wine after dinner) and work out the weekly menu and the weekly shopping list in one go so I have dinner (and in a way lunch and breakfast) organised - no stress, and none of the great white fridge god worship every evening (you know as "oh Lord, what's in here for dinner!"

However I can't stand the requests from the hubby 'can you cook that nice chicken dish'... well, what chicken dish is he referring to. I often have ticks and crosses to let me know if I recipe is a dud - ruins the books I know. But it gives a guide what NOT to cook.

Anyway, time to do the school run. Happy eating!

mlsymons
#44 Posted : Thursday, August 19, 2010 9:13:33 PM(UTC)
Hi. My name is Mary and I just learned about your site from the October 2010 issue of Eating Well, which arrived today. I am excited about the website because I always end up having to search my cookbooks to figure out which one has the recipe I want. Given the size of my collection, that can be quite an undertaking. I usually have an idea of which books to check, but this will help even though I suspect that a number of my cookbooks are not indexed yet. I am looking forward to learning more about the site.

I live in California.
blisstone
#45 Posted : Friday, August 20, 2010 7:58:12 AM(UTC)

Hi my name is valerie and I am living in denver, trying to sort out my life through food!!

Not having to lug half a dozen heavy book to find the inspiration of the moment is a heaven sent.  I loaded up my collection yesterday and for the first time I feel that I will use it far more fluidly than I ever did.

lorloff
#46 Posted : Thursday, August 26, 2010 6:40:52 PM(UTC)
Jane: When will the survey of magazines we get be up to respond to. I am a new member to the site and love it. I also get several magazines monthly and it would be great if index's of those could be included, I get Cooks Illustrated, Saveur, Fine Cooking , Eating Well , Food and WIne, Bon Appetit, and I keep all the back copies for reference and I used to order annual indexes for some and others never had them. I look forward to new developments
Jane
#47 Posted : Friday, August 27, 2010 6:57:27 AM(UTC)

The survey of which magazines we will index will stay up on the Community page until we are ready to start indexing.  At the moment all our efforts have gone into indexing more cookbooks and developing the new version of the website (up any day now).

Indexing of magazines is on our to-do list and will be happening relatively soon.

jamberry
#48 Posted : Sunday, August 29, 2010 1:22:01 AM(UTC)

My name is Mary and I'm from Hollis NH.  I saw a blurb about this site in Eating Well magazine.  I had recently started try to get a list together of my favorite recipes in one of my kids' discarded school notebooks after I could not (and still cannot) find a recipe I made last year for raw corn salsa.  EYB is a godsend....how frustrating it is to be able to not find that 'great' recipe I made in the past.  I have to say I may need to take a second job, however, since I will now be able to justify buying more cookbooks!  

5Pickles
#49 Posted : Sunday, August 29, 2010 4:21:44 PM(UTC)

Hi!  I'm Kirsten and I also learned about this site from Eating Well magazine.  I look forward to exploring it and if it's as great at it seems to be will be joining as a permanent member.  I can't wait to organize my cookbooks here!  Do they also do magazines?

Jane
#50 Posted : Sunday, August 29, 2010 6:57:30 PM(UTC)

Welcome Kirsten, Mary and everyone else who has joined recently

We haven't indexed magazines yet, though we are planning to.  We are running a survey on the Community page to find out which magazines our members would like to see indexed first.

robandi
#51 Posted : Friday, September 03, 2010 1:06:38 PM(UTC)
Hi, I'm Robert from Tasmania, Australia. It's good to see a few Australians on this fantastic site, but I seem to be the only bloke. Either they are not cooking, or are too slack to write about it. Anyway, I enjoy EYB a lot - well done. Me - love middle eastern and mediterranian food and just starting to find my way into baking. One suggestion - can you change the blog show that it shows the most recent post first? and one question - how can I find my friends on the site?
Jane
#52 Posted : Friday, September 03, 2010 3:17:14 PM(UTC)

Welcome Robert

There definitely are other EYB members who are blokes (lovely to hear that again, it's not a term that used in the US at all).  Hopefully your post will encourage more of them to get involved in the Forum.

I don't agree with you about newest posts being on top.  All the forums I'm involved with have oldest on top so newcomers to the topic can read the posts in order they were written.  I'm interested to know which forums you use that reverse the order?  Any other members think that posts should be newest first?

Friends is a feature that we have temporarily suspended as we are incorporating it into a new social networking feature we are developing.  You can still see your friends' profiles and see their book collections by clicking their name in the Bookshelves list on the book details page.  You just need to know one book they own to see their name on the Bookshelves list.

BrisBirds
#53 Posted : Saturday, September 04, 2010 1:56:08 PM(UTC)
Hi... we are Maree and Judy, from Brisbane Australia... everything food, wine, cooking is our entertainment, our enjoyment. Even travel destinations are chosen because of the food the places offer. A recent trip to Malaysia revealed the wonderful experiences of the hawker's markets and wonderful original tastes of the satays & nasi lemak. Our recipe library is dense with over 93 cookbooks, hundreds of issues of Gourmet Traveller going back to 1992, and a library of Donna Hay Magazines steadily growing, EYB is a fabulous solution to some of the problem of finding "that" recipe! Thanks guys - I tip my wineglass to you in celebration of inspiration!
Andyman
#54 Posted : Sunday, September 05, 2010 11:35:14 AM(UTC)

Hi, I am Andy, and I have an addiction to buying cookbooks.  The problem is I never ever wind up cooking anything out of them.  I am hoping your site is the ticket to actually use them for recipes instead of just ideas.

If anyone is interested I host a blog on food, wine and photography.  You can find me at http://www.thatjewcancook.com

Thanks, and I look forward to using this service!

Andy

AGM Cape Cod
#55 Posted : Monday, September 06, 2010 3:28:57 AM(UTC)

Hi, I am Abby from Cape Cod, MA. I had seen the article in the Boston Globe in the spring and have finally had time to get myself organized to join. I was a professional chef so have a lot of old cookbooks (most of which are here but not indexed). Now I feel that I am a three season cook- canning from June through Nov; Chinese & Asian (due to a party we have the day after Thanksgiving) and cookies for Christmas.

Also I am commuting to Boston to work and my husband is cooking weekday meals. This will help him find recipes (especially if I put the location of the cookbooks in my Bookmarks) for things I have in the freezer. We have a huge garden as well so he will be able to find things to do with all the produce.

Thanks for putting this together, it is a great idea!!!

Gwendalou
#56 Posted : Tuesday, September 07, 2010 7:12:57 AM(UTC)

Hi, I'm Gwen from Washington State and have just discovered this great site.  I have a number of cookbooks, as does everyone here!  I try to limit myself.  For a while, I tried to limit myself to just the number of books that would fit on one bookshelf unit.  If I got a new one, I had to get rid of one.  That only worked til I had weeded out cookbooks I never used. 

I loved looking at cookbooks - I look at them ALL the time.  So it's not like they're not getting used, right?  However, I only cook from a few and now with the internet, I often just get a recipe off the 'net.  Still love looking at my cookbooks tho!  Having them indexed like this will make it a lot easier for me to get more use out of them.

JoesGirl
#57 Posted : Thursday, September 09, 2010 5:49:48 PM(UTC)
Hi there, I'm Christina and am from Oregon. WOW! Love the concept of this site and thanks for giving us 30 days to try it out, though I must say, I'm pretty sure it's a no brainer. :)

I went through and added all 98 cookbooks in a snap! Wow, amazing. As a busy mom of three all in elementary school I'm short on time but LOVE my cookbooks as well as cooking. This site is the perfect tool to merry my lack of time and love of cooking.

Thanks! I look forward to sharing recipe's with you all.

JoesGirl
#58 Posted : Thursday, September 09, 2010 5:51:45 PM(UTC)
Oh I forgot to add, you all make me feel 'normal' with my minuscule amount of books in comparison to you!! THANK YOU!!!!
warner
#59 Posted : Tuesday, September 14, 2010 10:15:46 AM(UTC)

Sausage curing

I'm Warner and I make sausage, I also smoke, dry cure, preserve and can.

New York City Area.

Jane
#60 Posted : Tuesday, September 14, 2010 12:08:43 PM(UTC)

Love that picture.  I'm ashamed to admit I've never made my own sausages - one of those things I assume I'll have time to do after the kids go off to college.

10 Pages<12345>»