Want to avoid advertising?

Join as Premium member »

Forum

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Page number   Go to last post Go to last unread
chefdarin
#1 Posted : Saturday, July 09, 2011 10:39:06 PM(UTC)

I understand that EYB is a recipe index and didn't expect to find the recipes themselves here.  However as an "index" of what is in various books I did expect the page number to be listed for a specific recipe in a book.

Is there a reason this can't be included?

If I have to look in the index of a book to find a page number for a recipe, then I might as well go straight to the books and skip spending time looking things up on the computer.

robm
#2 Posted : Sunday, July 10, 2011 2:04:19 AM(UTC)

The reason the page numbers aren't included is because there are so many editions of cookbooks that it's impossible to keep the pagination straight!  Between new editions and reprints, plus international editions (U.S, U.K., Australian, Canadian, etc.) and hard cover/paperback versions, the page numbers change constantly.  The recipes, however, remain the same!

Of course you can just go to the index in your cookbook to look things up, but if, like many of us, you have hundreds of cookbooks and can never remember what book you saw a recipe in, EYB is still the site for you!  It'll help you find the recipe and the cookbook it's in quickly, so you can go to your bookshelf and get the right book, instantly!  

There has been some discussion that when indexing is opened up broadly to members, it may be possible to have a feature where you can add page numbers to the books on your own shelf, so that you'd have that information for the editions you actually own.  But doing that could be a long, tedious chore, especially if you own lots of books!  It may just be easier to use EYB to find the recipe and the book its in, and then just look it up in the book's index!

Christine
#3 Posted : Monday, July 18, 2011 8:02:37 PM(UTC)

I can see where you are coming from; however, I still feel very strongly that this is a worthwhile service.  Sure you can look up a recipe based on one ingredient (say, zucchini) and find all the recipes in one cookbook that use zucchini.  But that is about as detailed as you can get with a traditional index.  You can't look up recipes calling for the zucchini, red onion, and feta cheese you want to use up before they go bad.  Only on occasion, if the title of the recipe includes all the ingredients you want to use, will you luck out by searching for a multi-ingredient recipe in a traditional index.  With EYB you have at your fingertips a list of ALL the recipes in ALL your books (well, the indexed ones anyway) that use those particular ingredients as opposed to searching through them one by one.  Not to mention all the different ways you can narrow down your search to zero in on exactly the type of recipe you are looking for (say a side dish or a main course using said zucchini, red onion, and feta cheese).  If you can count the number of cookbooks you own on one (or two) hands, I could see why you might not want to bother, but the more cookbooks you own, the more helpful this site truly is.  

AOski
#4 Posted : Monday, August 01, 2011 10:28:44 AM(UTC)

Yeah, I just found this site this weekend...so I'm still working though all the features.  But I agree with Chris.  This site would seem to be most helpful to those of us with MANY (too many?) books, so the more information you can offer the better.

Question: is there any way you could allow crowdsourcing for this information?  So a user could add them?  I mean, I wouldn't want to do all 85,000 books...but I'd be more than happy to add page numbers to recipes as I use them…or even when I’m bored ‘cause I’m a little OCD. :)   Just a suggestions.  Love the site! 

Jane
#5 Posted : Monday, August 01, 2011 4:06:37 PM(UTC)

We are thinking about having page numbers as wiki.  We will have to work out how we can have each edition with separate numbering, even though the recipes data is shared between the books (i.e. just one edition is indexed).  We are planning on grouping books so all the member data - Bookshelves, ratings, notes, reviews - can be shared.  So I think we would add the page numbers feature then.

linzertorte
#6 Posted : Tuesday, August 02, 2011 9:51:38 PM(UTC)

hello, new member here. i would also like to see page numbers. some of the indices in cookbooks are so poor that it's difficult to find a recipe even if you get the full title from EYB. for these situations, it would be much easier to have a page number. 

MMarlean
#7 Posted : Wednesday, August 03, 2011 6:50:49 PM(UTC)

Whenever I bookmark a recipe and write a note, I've been added the page number for my information.  I can then find my favorite recipes quickly.  If others have the same edition, then they can use the page # - if not, they can look it up.  (Although I haven't written many notes or reviews, I'm trying hard to start including one of these whenever I try a new recipe.  I hope to get better at this!)

Mari

Kurelgyer
#8 Posted : Thursday, January 05, 2012 12:48:10 PM(UTC)

Ultimately, page numbers are a must.  It can happen.  Every edition of each book will have to be indexed.

Cati
#9 Posted : Thursday, January 05, 2012 4:29:45 PM(UTC)
For the amount we pay to join I think we get more than we could expect.If we are desperate for page numbers we can put them on our personal recipes. If we cant look in an index when pointed in the direction of the right book, we probably dont have the energy to cook the recipe anyway! I am still finding interesting ways to spend time on EYB.It took me sometime before I realised that if a book was indexed, by highlighting the title I could scroll through the list of recipes with their ingredients. Very useful if you were considering buying the book. You can see whether the book is your type or not.you can also find notes,reviews and under more details you can find publisher reviews and a list of other books by author which you can also track. Compliments to Jane and the team who had foresight to establish this great website.
eyepaint
#10 Posted : Sunday, January 29, 2012 7:57:27 PM(UTC)

I just spent some time looking for where on my 'puter that EYB stores my library info.  I didn't find it.  If EYB does indeed store info here it would seem simple [ I use that word reservidly] to allow us to have a field on each recipe that the program brings us for our query. If we could then put in maybe four characters that would then be stored on our machine and returned when that same recipe was called forth in a list again, bingo, there is my page number and I alone have to know that pickeled paper is on page 13 of my pickling book. No one else need be concerned that I have the 1956 edition and they have the enlarged 1961 ed. cause they will list from their ed ['61] pg 17.

I really do get tired of paging thru the indexes of 8 different books.  Sure as I have done, the book that had what I judged the best choice has closed up on me and I have to do it a ninth time.

Jane
#11 Posted : Sunday, January 29, 2012 9:16:10 PM(UTC)

eyepaint - the information is not stored on your computer but is on our server.  A large database like EYBs plus the memory required for the search engine would be a huge drain on your computer's resources.  So whenever you access EYB you are doing it on the web.

You can add the page numbers of recipes to your personal notes - make a Note and tick the box for keeping it personal.

Using EYB helps you make a much narrower range of choices than you had before all the recipes were indexed.  As Cati pointed it this is a huge timesaver in terms of the number of options you now look in, particularly if you own a lot of cookbooks.

eyepaint
#12 Posted : Monday, January 30, 2012 12:31:42 AM(UTC)

Now why didn't I think of that.  The notes fields could hold a world of solutions to all kind of things that I haven't thought to obsess on yet. 

Thanks jane,

Robert

jbuchman
#13 Posted : Monday, January 30, 2012 9:04:25 PM(UTC)

Whenever I bookmark a recipe I put the page number in the "notes" field -- works like a charm.

stevepepe
#14 Posted : Sunday, April 29, 2012 2:37:38 PM(UTC)

Seriously, no page numbers?  That was the whole reason i signed up!  Index = page numbers.  Without them it's a waste of time.

Vanessa
#15 Posted : Sunday, April 29, 2012 2:54:54 PM(UTC)

If you have the book, you can find the page that the recipe is on.

But if you don't know that you want to use that recipe, or if you don't even know you HAVE that recipe ... well, that's where EYB comes in. EYB is a brilliant tool that allows you to look into your recipe collection (all the books, personal recipes, and online items) quickly, easily and accurately, even if you've got thousands of recipes in your collection.

It is incredibly useful at these kinds of times:

- when you have some miscellanous ingredients in your fridge that you want to use

- when your CSA box was overflowing with a particular ingredient and you're looking for a new twist on that

- when you'd like to try an ingredient that you've never used before

- when you have a taste for something but don't already have a go-to recipe

- when you've had something at a restaurant and want to make something like it

- when you are trying to put together a party

- to keep track of recipes that you've made and REALLY liked

And probably a zillion other scenarios. Jane, you should start a contest about "what's your favorite reason to use EYB"!

Jane
#16 Posted : Sunday, April 29, 2012 3:05:04 PM(UTC)

Vanessa - why don't you start that thread and copy over what you just posted?  Sometimes the discovery can be completely accidental.  Yesterday I was looking for a strawberry dessert, pulled out a book and when I looked it up in the index for the page number (not a huge chore stevepepe) I noticed a recipe I liked the look of better, involving mangoes which I also happened to have.

stevepepe - because there are many editions of the most popular books we made the decision that entering page numbers for the edition we index would create more problems for everyone else who owned different editions. We are sorry if that is the "whole reason" you signed up but as Vanessa pointed out, there are so many more benefits to an EYB membership.  Since you have only joined with a Free membership, you haven't really made any commitment yet.  But we would like you to play around and see how much more EYB contains than page numbers.

robm
#17 Posted : Monday, April 30, 2012 6:01:43 PM(UTC)

Although I understand the general reluctance to include page numbers because of inconsistent editions, eventually I would like to index some older and/or foreign cookbooks that have poor indexes or none at all!  Being able to include page numbers would make those books much more usable!