A surprise answer to the question: What is the best all-around metal spatula?

Fish spatula

America's Test Kitchen (which publishes Cook's Illustrated) recently told us to Say Hello to the Best Metal Spatula. Somewhat surprisingly, they propose that a fish spatula is actually the best spatula to use for all kitchen purposes as "With its maneuverability, surgical precision, and crisp, high-end construction, this spatula could not be beat."  And despite its light-weight nature, it supported a four-pound brick. Check out the article for more details, including the brand they chose as the best.

And while we're on the subject of Cook's Illustrated, don't forget that we have all of the issues - start to finish - indexed here on the site.

• Cynthia Nims  on  6/19/2013 at 10:17 AM

I couldn't agree more, it's hanging above my stove and the one I grab far more than other styles of spatulas I have at hand....

• erincoop  on  6/19/2013 at 5:27 PM

My "go to" spatula!

• sir_ken_g  on  6/19/2013 at 5:40 PM

I have a similar eo-cheapo Chinese one that I use all the time. I have two fancy Al-Clad ones that I never use.

• housewifeno1  on  6/22/2013 at 4:34 AM

i have just broken my fish spatula which i used for everything... however i am finding it increasingly difficult to find another one, the only ones that seem to be available round my neck of the woods are stupid "thick" metal ones which i cannot use properly or these new fangled plastic things where the handles melt if you leave them on a pan resting!...ugh

• BonnieontheBlock  on  7/6/2013 at 11:37 AM

The spatula is right handed and the edge, while flexible is not as thin as it could be. With all due respect to ATK I think this one is good, but could not substitute for all others, especially for the left handed. I have been on a quest for the perfect spatula for years and am about to ask the guy who fabricated my stainless steel counter tops if he could build one. Anybody know somebody who would make one?

• Thredbende  on  7/14/2013 at 12:20 PM

I love my left handed fish spatula. It is an extension of my smart (left) hand.