The top food and drink books ever written

Food Books

With all of the amazing books about food and drink that have been published, it can be difficult to pick favorites. However, the writers at The Telegraph have selected their  top ten food and drink books of all time. This list is not for cookbooks per se, but rather books that have had a profound influence. The first book on the list is Fast Food Nation by Eric Schlosser, although it's not clear if the list is in any particular order. A similar tome that discuss the food chain also made the cut, Michael Pollan's The Omnivore's Dilemma.

The oldest book on the list is The Physiology of Taste by Jean Anthelme Brillat-Savarin. First published in 1825, this book "full of strong views" is a revered classic that has been translated and reprinted in several editions. Nigel Slater's 2012 The Kitchen Diaries is the newest book, and joins his earlier edition to make Slater the only author with two books on the list.

Rounding out the list are books by Nigella Lawson, Jeffrey Steingarten, Elizabeth David, Anthony Bourdain, and Steven Sherrill. While the list includes several heavy hitters that most readers will agree upon, some might argue that Mr. Sherrill's The Minotaur Takes a Cigarette Break should be replaced by a work by M.F.K. Fisher or Calvin Trillin. Another book that could arguably make the list is Harold McGee's On Food and Cooking. Which books are in your top ten?

• sir_ken_g  on  4/26/2014 at 12:55 PM

I own only two. The Asian ones. Guess I'm not "with it"

• sir_ken_g  on  4/26/2014 at 12:55 PM

I own only two. The Asian ones. Guess I'm not "with it"

• anniette  on  4/26/2014 at 1:36 PM

This list should be called The Top (Mostly BrItish) Food and Drink Books of All Time (Especially the Last Twenty Years). Only two books about French food, and one is by an English woman (who, please don't misunderstand me, well deserve to be on this list), only three books were written before 1995? Delia?? No Escoffier??No Pellaprat?? Neither Julia Child nor James Beard? No Jane Grigson?

• Rinshin  on  4/26/2014 at 5:07 PM

I don't own or know of any of these books and my list would certainly be much different but that makes sense as I come from different regions and interest.

• tkeenan  on  4/29/2014 at 9:38 PM

I can't believe it - no Julia Child!!!!

• tkeenan  on  4/29/2014 at 9:38 PM

I can't believe it - no Julia Child!!!!