Cooking Light ends subscription print publication

Over the course of my cooking career I have subscribed to many different food magazines: Bon Appetit, Gourmet, Saveur, and Cooking Light to name just a few. In the past few years, these elder statesmen of culinary journalism have faced the mounting pressures that are devastating most of the print magazine industry. Gourmet was the first to succumb, folding in 2009, and Saveur experienced extreme restructuring last year.  Now we have learned that Cooking Light is suffering a similar fate. Its last subscription print release will be the December, 2018 issue.

Cooking Light magazine

Cooking Light was one of the first subscriptions I ordered when I was first out on my own, and I still use a cake recipe pulled from its pages in the early 1990s. Now the magazine will no longer be available as a subscription. Less than a year after scooping up all of Time Inc.'s food magazine holdings, Cooking Light's parent company,  Meredith Corp., announced plans to scale back on both Cooking Light  and Coastal Living. About 200 people will be laid off during this transition.

Merdith will merge Cooking Light with similar healthy-cooking title Eating Well under the latter's name.   At the end of the year, Cooking Light will transition from a subscription-based magazine to a special interest publication available on newsstands six times a year. The magazine will continue its online presence.

• Megoola  on  9/14/2018 at 2:13 PM

Cooking Light was my longest running subscription and I have gifted it to others. I'm sorry to hear of the layoffs. Publication/media is a tough business.

• Megoola  on  9/14/2018 at 2:31 PM

• Globegal  on  9/14/2018 at 4:30 PM

So sorry to hear this. I have favorites since 1990's.

• Christine  on  9/14/2018 at 4:43 PM

I haven't subscribed in quite a few years, but I'm still sad to hear this! It was also one of my very first food magazine subscriptions and I have many favorite recipes from the magazines & cookbooks.

• BethNH  on  9/15/2018 at 3:36 PM

Cooking Light was my first cooking magazine subscription back in the 80s when the low fat craze struck. I have a couple of recipes I've saved over the years but I haven't been tempted by the magazine in decades. Print magazines are definitely going the way of the dinosaur.

• lgroom  on  9/22/2018 at 2:59 PM

I just got a subscription offer in the mail today. Hmmmm.

• Ingafly  on  11/13/2018 at 8:06 PM

I’m sad to hear this. I live in the digital age but still have loyally subscribed to this magazine sine the late 1990’s.