Best Cookbooks of 2016
... and the winner is Dorie's Cookies by Dorie Greenspan - with a commanding lead.
This is our 8th year of compiling the Best of the Best. We search the globe to come up with the definitive list of the best books on food and drink of the year. Not just one reviewer's opinion but an amalgamation of every list we could find.
In this year's Best of the Best list we combined more than 300 Best Cookbooks of 2016 lists from TV, Radio, Newspapers, Magazines, Websites, Blogs and Booksellers across the world (there are links to all of them below).
For those of you interested in data:
- From 315 lists there were 3,273 votes
- 930 different cookbooks made the list
- 497 cookbooks had only one vote
1. Dorie's Cookies by Dorie Greenspan is a baker's magical workshop encased in 500 pages with 170 unique and classic cookie recipes. The royal purple cover, pages that are speckled with cookie illustrations and full-page photographs with a retro feel, all make this book a must have for cookie bakers.
2. Small Victories: Recipes, Advice + Hundreds of Ideas for Home-Cooking Triumphs by Julia Turshen delivers more than 400 recipes with 160 plus mouth-watering photographs from acclaimed photographers Gentl + Hyers. The photographs provide beautiful instruction and inspiration and the recipes will satisfy both beginners and accomplished home cooks.
3. Land of Fish and Rice: Recipes from the Culinary Heart of China by Fuchsia Dunlop shares a journey throughout China painted with the gift of her words and photographs. Dunlop weaves magical stories into intriguing recipes that will surround you as you create the flavorful dishes that are shared in this title.
=4. Appetites: A Cookbook by Anthony Bourdain is the celebrity chef's first cookbook in over a decade. This book shares a collection of recipes that encompass forty years of Bourdain's cooking and traveling. These are personal favorites of the chef and are surprisingly approachable by the home cook.
=4. Cooking for Jeffrey by Ina Garten is her most personal cookbook yet and is filled with the recipes Jeffrey, her husband, and their friends request most often as well as charming stories from the couple's many years together. Ina's recipes always work and are typical of what everyday cooks make and enjoy.
6. Simple by Diana Henry, who has the ability to turn the ordinary into extraordinary, is a stellar collection of dishes that you can create with no fuss, but which will dazzle your guests with flavor. Diana takes ingredients we are most likely to find in pantries - or that we are able to pick up on the way home from work - and provides recipes that will be your go-tos for life.
7. Taste of Persia: A Cook's Travels Through Armenia, Azerbaijan, Georgia, Iran, and Kurdistan by Naomi Duguid is a "reason to celebrate" to quote The New York Times. Duguid has the soul of a writer managing to convey the culture and cuisine of a particular region eloquently with thoughtful words and photographs. Taste of Persia is a treasure delivering 125 dishes from this beautiful, yet troubled, area of the world.
8. Everything I Want to Eat: Sqirl and the New California Cooking by Jessica Koslow brings us a taste of California cooking renaissance in 100 recipes utilizing fresh ingredients. This book focuses on composed dishes that are easily accomplished at home with a fun layout and beautiful photographs of the food, people, and all that make up the farming landscape that keep our kitchens stocked and our bellies full, this book is enchanting.
9. The Red Rooster Cookbook by Marcus Samuelsson shares essays and interviews along with archival and contemporary photos that chronicle all that is Harlem. All these factors are reason enough to covet this book, but then we have the recipes that will have you excited to be in the kitchen.
10. Molly on the Range by Molly Yeh is packed with stories, illustrations and photographs along with recipes from the popular blogger that gives us a peek at her unlikely life on a farm. Unique recipes and fun narrative makes this a book to be devoured from cover to cover.
- Taste & Technique: Recipes to Elevate Your Home Cooking by Naomi Pomeroy
- Breaking Breads by Uri Scheft
- Oh She Glows Every Day by Angela Liddon
- Food52: A New Way to Dinner by Amanda Hesser & Merrill Stubbs
- The Adventures of Fat Rice by Abe Conlon, Adrienne Lo & Hugh Amano
Top British/Irish Picks
1. Simple by Diana Henry
2. The Cardamom Trail by Chetna Makan
=3. Fresh India by Meera Sodha
=3. Salt is Essential by Shaun Hill
=3. Scandinavian Comfort Food by Trine Hahnemann
=6. Gather by Gill Meller
=6. Land of Fish and Rice by Fuchsia Dunlop
=8. Brindisa: The True Food of Spain by Monika Linton
=8. Classic Koffmann by Pierre Koffmann
=8. Jamie Oliver's Christmas Cookbook
Top Australian/New Zealand Picks
1. Smith & Daughters by Shannon Martinez
and Mo Wyse
2. Lamingtons & Lemon Tart by Darren Purchese
=3. Neighbourhood by Hetty McKinnon
=3. Street Food Asia by Luke Nguyen
5. Australian Fish & Seafood Cookbook by John Susman, Anthony Huckstep, Sarah Swan & Stephen Hodges
6. Basics to Brilliance by Donna Hay
=7. Best Kitchen Basics by Mark Best
=7. Land of Fish and Rice by Fuchsia Dunlop
=7.The Cook's Table by Stephanie Alexander
10. Savour: Salads for All Seasons by Peter Gordon
Top Canadian Picks
1. Oh She Glows Every Day by Angela
=2. Appetites by Anthony Bourdain
=2. Food52: A New Way to Dinner by Amanda Hesser & Merrill Stubbs
=2. Taste of Persia by Naomi Duguid
=5. Araxi: Roots to Shoots by James Walt
=5. Bake with Anna Olson by Anna Olson
=5. Cooking for Jeffrey by Ina Garten
Top Drinks Books
1. Amaro by Brad Thomas Parsons
2. A Proper Drink by Robert Simonson
3. Regarding Cocktails by Sasha Petraske & Georgette Moger-Petraske
4. The 24-Hour Wine Expert by Jancis Robinson
5. Smuggler's Cove by Martin & Rebecca Cate
6. American Rhône by Patrick J. Komisky
=7. A Spot at the Bar by Michael Madrusan & Zara Young
=7. Spritz by Talia Baiocchi & Leslie Pariseau
=7. The World Atlas of Beer by Tim Webb & Steven Beaumont
Top Vegetarian & Vegan Books
1. Oh She Glows Every Day by Angela
2. The Love & Lemons Cookbook by Jeanine Donofrio
3. Minimalist Baker's Everyday Cooking by Dana Shultz
4. The Superfun Times Vegan Holiday Cookbook by Isa Chandra Moskowitz
5. V Street by Rich Landau & Kate Jocoby
6. Fresh India by Meera Sodha
=7. Aquafaba by Zsu Dever
=7. Vegan 101 by Heather Bell & Jenny Engel
=7. Vegan Mexico by Jason Wyrick
Top Memoirs & Books About Food
1. Far Afield by Shane Mitchell
2. something to food about by Questlove
3. The French Chef in America by Alex Prud'Homme
=4. Grape, Olive, Pig by Matt Goulding
=4. Ten Restaurants That Changed America by Paul Freedman
=6. Food Anatomy by Julia Rothman & Rachel Wharton
=6. Food City: Four Centuries of Food-Making in New York by Joy Santlofer
=6. Knife: The Culture, Craft and Cult of the Cook's Knife by Tim Hayward
=6. Sweetbitter: A novel by Stephanie Danler
Sources for Data
Eat Your Books lists
TV & Radio
Newspapers & magazines
USA: Arkansas Democrat-Gazette, Atlanta Journal-Constitution, Bookpage, The Boston Globe, The Buffalo News, The Chicago Tribune, The Chicago Tribune Suburbs, The Christian Science Monitor, Cleveland Plain Dealer (best wine books), Cleveland Plain Dealer (best beer books), Cooking Light, Creative Loafing Tampa Bay, Dallas Morning News, Deep South Magazine, Edible Manhattan, Entertainment Weekly (dessert books), Food & Wine Magazine, Forbes (best beer books), Harper's Bazaar, Houston Chronicle, In Style Magazine, Italy Magazine, The Jewish Daily Forward, LA Weekly (Squid Ink), Los Angeles Times, Lucky Peach, Martha Stewart Living, New Haven Register, Newsday, The New York Times, The New York Times (20 more best cookbooks), The New York Times (best baking books), Orlando Weekly, Parade, People Magazine, Philadelphia Daily News, Philadelphia Daily News, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, The Post & Courier (Charleston), Publishers Weekly, Real Simple, San Antonio Current, San Francisco Chronicle, San Francisco Chronicle (drinks books), San Jose Mercury News (drinks books), Saveur, Seattle Times, Southern Living, Tampa Bay Times, The Times-Picayune, USA Today, The Virginian Pilot, The Washington Post, Wired
UK & Ireland: BBC Good Food, Country Life, Daily Mail, Financial Times, The Guardian (best cookbooks), The Guardian (best books on food), The Guardian (best books on drink), Grazia, Ham & High (London), The Independent, Irish Examiner, The Irish Times, London Evening Standard (best vegetarian books), London Evening Standard (best baking books), London Evening Standard - ES Magazine, London Evening Standard - ES Magazine (gifts), Observer Food Monthly, Red Magazine (best gifts), The Spectator, The Telegraph, The Telegraph (best gifts), Wallpaper*
Blogs, websites & online magazines
USA: Ambitious Kitchen, Tori Avey, The Baking Society, A Beautiful Plate, The Blondissima, Booklist, Bourbon and Brown Sugar, Brooklyn Based, BundtLust, BuzzFeed, The Chalkboard, Chowhound, Civil Eats, Cookbook Create, Cookie and Kate, Cooking With Amy (gifts), Cooking With Amy (Chinese), Cooks without Borders, A Cozy Kitchen, Daily Burn, Dash of Jazz, Delish Knowledge, Eat Chic Chicago, Dessert First, Dianne's Vegan Kitchen, Eat Chic Chicago, Eat.Drink.Frolic, Eater (general), Eater (advanced), Eater (restaurant cookbooks), Eat the Love Pt.1, Epicurious, The Epoch Times, Ethical Elephant, Everyday Sarah Jane, The Feed Podcast, Fine Dining Lovers, Five Heart Home, Food52 (books for beginners), Food52 (books for adventurous cooks), Food in Jars, Food Tech Connect, GAlexandra, Gear Patrol, Health.com, Hip-Hop Eats, How Sweet It Is, Huffington Post (Jamie Schler), The Hungry Chronicles, Isthmus, The Kitchn, The Kitchn (family cookbooks), The Kitchn (advanced), The Kitchn (international), The Kitchn (entertaining), Leite's Culinaria, Library Journal (best of 2016), Library Journal (debut cookbooks), Library Journal (baking), Library Journal (home cooking), Library Journal (celebrity cookbooks), Life, Love and Sugar, The Little Voice, Live Love Laugh Food, Love & Lemons, Love & Olive Oil, Kara Lydon, Make It Better, The Mash-Up Americans, Meatless Mondays, Mic, Mother Jones, Munchies, Naïve Cook Cooks, New in Books (general), New Worlder, Olivia Cleans Green, OMG! Yummy, Paleo Plan, Panning the Globe, PETA.org, Plate, PopSugar, Pork Barrel BBQ, Punk Domestics, Refinery 29, Remodelsita, The Rosiest Cheeks, Running With Tweezers, A Sassy Spoon, A Serious Bunburyist, Serious Eats, She Knows, Shelf Awareness, Simply Quinoa, Simply Recipes, Smithsonian.com, Starchefs, E.A. Stewart, Take Part, Tastebook (best gift cookbooks), Tasting Table, Treats With a Twist, Turntable Kitchen, Two Peas & Their Pod, Umami Girl, The Vanilla Bean Blog, Vegan.com, We Are Not Martha, Well + Good, Well Plated, What's Gaby Cooking, Zester Daily (bread books), The Zestful Kitchen, The Zoe Report
Canada: Academy of Culinary Nutrition, Canada's 100 Best, The Chic Canuck, Claire Tansey's Kitchen, Daily Hive, Eat.Live.Travel.Write (French cookbooks), Eat.Live.Travel.Write (baking books), Eat North, Food Bloggers of Canada, Gothic Epicures, Huffington Post Canada, Inside Vancouver, Kay Nutrition, Kitchen Frolic, Nomms, Oh Hey Felicia, The Savvy Reader, Simple Bites, Styled to Sparkle, Taste Canada Awards, Zoomer Magazine
UK & Ireland: Babaduck, Big Spud, Bread & Oysters, Cookbook Confidential, The Culture Trip, Culture Whisper, Eat.Walk.Talk Bristol, The Flexitarian, The Foodie Gift Hunter, The Gannet, GastroGays, Good to Know Recipes, The Happy Foodie (best cookbooks), The Happy Foodie (baking books), Healthista, I Love Cooking, Kavey Eats, Ms Marmite Lover, Mumsnet, Rhian's Recipes, Sheerluxe, Styled by Charlie, The VegHog
R.O.W. Haaretz (Israel)
Booksellers, Libraries & Book Awards
Amazon.com, The Andre Simon Awards (UK), Angus & Robertson Bookworld (Australia), Appetite for Books of Montreal, Avid Reader of Brisbane, Australia, Barbara-Jo's Books to Cooks of Vancouver, Book Larder of Seattle, Book Larder of Seattle (food writing), Book Larder of Seattle (travel), Barnes & Noble, The Book Depository, Calgary Public Library, Cook + Book of Arnhem, Netherlands, Cook the Books of Auckland, The Cookbook Stall of Philadelphia, The Cookbook Co. Cooks of Alberta, Good Egg of Toronto, Good Reads, Harvard Book Store of Cambridge MA, Indigo (Canada), Irish Book Awards, Kitchen Arts & Letters of New York, Kitchen Witch Cookbooks of New Orleans, De Kookboekhandel of Amsterdam, Netherlands, Left Bank Books of St. Louis, Omnivore Books of San Francisco, Powell's of Portland, Readings of Melbourne, Read It and Eat of Chicago, Scrumptious Reads of Brisbane