Forum

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Recipe gold in old magazine issues   Go to last post Go to last unread
#1 Posted : Wednesday, October 23, 2019 10:56:13 PM(UTC)
I've always stored my cooking magazines (Bon Appétit, Ccoking Light, Food and Wine and others) by month. Before I found EYB when I was trying to find something fun to make for any month I would just grab a pile of October or whatever and start browsing. I often discovered recipes I had passed over or been intimidated by when the magazine first came out that I really wanted to try. Recently on a rainy day I reverted to my old habit when trying to get ideas for a Christmas gathering I will be hosting and pulled out most of the Bon Appétit December issues from 2000 to 2010. It has been so much fun and I have a nice list of recipes to possibly use. I love looking at the photos and reading some of the articles along the way too. Am I the only one who loves to while away an afternoon with my beloved old cooking magazines?
#2 Posted : Wednesday, October 23, 2019 11:14:10 PM(UTC)

Yes, I love old magazine recipes.  Often they're easier to do than more recent ones, which usually call for ingredients that weren't so available back then.  

I also like that they rarely call for fresh herbs.  When did recipe writers decide that everyone could afford or grow fresh herbs all the time?

#3 Posted : Thursday, October 24, 2019 4:11:41 PM(UTC)

I wish i stored magazine issues by month  instead of chronological.  It would be a major undertaking for me to rearrange them at this stage since I have BA since mid 70s, all of Gourmet since the beginning, and food and wine from ??.  Saveur too.  I do want to go back on earlier BA because there are some recipes I really want to locate.  You have helped me locate the one cake before that was a major undertaking to make.  My fav lemon chicken from BA there.  It was delicious and beautiful.  I like to make that one again.  Also some wonderful stews.  

Not sure if recipes were better in those days, but I used to try many recipes from them in earlier years.  Now, not many interest me.   

#4 Posted : Thursday, October 24, 2019 4:21:41 PM(UTC)

We have a RV we use to do our trips to camp sites and national parks in the US.  I always take a  pile of old magazines with me to read.  So relaxing sitting out, with my feet up, listening to mostly nothing except occasional bird chirps, with a glass of wine and old magazine issue on my lap.  I don't take cookbooks but I do peruse kindle as well now.  But it is looking at magazines that tells me I am living a good life.

#5 Posted : Sunday, October 27, 2019 3:28:59 PM(UTC)
From the time I started subscribing to Bon Appétit in 1992 I ordered the annual index and I still use them for the old issues that aren't indexed on EYB. In 1996 they sent me 2 copies of the annual index and I have never found anyone who wants it. Rinshin it is all yours if you would like it. I love your idea of taking a few of the old issues to peruse while out camping. I usually take a cookbook or two but this would be easier.
#6 Posted : Monday, October 28, 2019 10:10:55 AM(UTC)

Thank you hillsboroks for the offer.   If we come up your way in our car or rv  travels and if your schedule permits, I will contact you.  Again, thank you.