Forum

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

14 Pages«<121314
Say Hi and introduce yourself   Go to last post Go to last unread
#262 Posted : Saturday, July 29, 2017 7:09:32 PM(UTC)
Hi mharriman, welcome! I'm not exactly in NOVA but close (DC). I agree with Barb that it is useful having other members close by that can help "curate" some recipe choices based on what's locally available and what they are cooking. So I hope you will also post notes on anything good you are making. Take care!
#263 Posted : Sunday, July 30, 2017 3:35:25 PM(UTC)

Hi....I'm "manycookbooks" and I came across EYB several years ago.  What a boon it has been for me to find books, recipes, etc. in my own collection.  It was such a great idea, one of those "why didn't I think of that?!" moments.  The people are helpful, the site is easy to negotiate and they have thought about everything one needs to find recipes in one's "real" collection.  With my current collection at 6,013 cookbooks, I can't imagine doing without EYB!  

#265 Posted : Saturday, September 2, 2017 2:55:41 AM(UTC)
Hi, I'm new to Eat Your Books and loving it! I'm a new home cook, especially for someone in their 50s, as my ex-husband did all the cooking. I fell in love with cooking last year (and with my new partner 2 years ago) and we currently divide our time between our little cottage in the hills in the west of Ireland (mostly) and Virginia in the US (family). We just got a real kitchen in our cottage after a year and a half of cooking on an old TV cabinet with a portable induction burner. Still use that & the woodstove to cook, but we've actual counter space and a nice double sink now! I also have a combi microwave which I mostly use as an oven. It's great, and saves space. I'm looking forward to doing lots of tasty meals in this kitchen, aided by my 250 (ISH) cookbooks- mostly on Kindle via their deals. I do love 'real' books too, but with arthritis I find most are too heavy & unwieldy. That doesn't stop me buying tempting second hand cookbooks at the thrift shop though- I'm pretty sure I have an cookbook addiction!
#266 Posted : Saturday, September 2, 2017 11:30:51 AM(UTC)

Welcome WildCottage - as a cookbook addict you are now among friends!

#264 Posted : Saturday, September 2, 2017 6:06:25 PM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: manycookbooks Go to Quoted Post

Hi....I'm "manycookbooks" and I came across EYB several years ago.  What a boon it has been for me to find books, recipes, etc. in my own collection.  It was such a great idea, one of those "why didn't I think of that?!" moments.  The people are helpful, the site is easy to negotiate and they have thought about everything one needs to find recipes in one's "real" collection.  With my current collection at 6,013 cookbooks, I can't imagine doing without EYB!  

OMG 6013 cookbooks!  You have me beaten by a big margin.  I esp trust  the opinions of notes here since people are rating the foods actually cooked and not commenting without cooking like many sites. 

#267 Posted : Friday, September 15, 2017 3:36:17 PM(UTC)

Hi, I'm Daniel and I live near Philadelphia PA with my wife and about-to-graduate-High school daughter. We have an about-to-graduate-college son and another daughter as well. 

I've been cooking for myself and others since my early Boy Scout days, with varying degrees of success. I've inherited my kitchen fearlessness from my mother, and now my cookbook collection is twice the size hers ever was--but I'll never top her yeast bread baking (which won blue ribbons at the county fair year after year).

Recently, I've been barbecueing every kind of animal flesh I can get my hands on, and have even tried making my own sausage. Sausage is a lot of work, but the results are astounding.  I've also made my own beer, soda, and ice cream.

Lately, I've been cooking out of "Land of Fish and Rice" by Fuchsia Dunlap, enjoying the homey, subtle flavors of Southern Chinese cuisine.  You can also read my semi-regular blog, De Kok is in de kitchen, on facebook.

#268 Posted : Sunday, September 17, 2017 8:25:35 AM(UTC)

Hi, I'm Carol and I live in Seattle, Washington. I found out about Eat Your Books at a food styling / photography workshop I attended on Lummi Island a month ago. What a great idea! I have approximately 300 cookbooks and have struggled to find a particular recipe in my collection so this will be quite helpful!

Besides cooking, I also garden and take photographs.

#269 Posted : Sunday, September 17, 2017 10:15:23 AM(UTC)
Welcome Daniel and Carol!
#270 Posted : Sunday, September 17, 2017 12:46:56 PM(UTC)

carolhartseattle - I see you have started to upload photos of your creations! Please do continue - your photo is lovely.

#271 Posted : Sunday, September 17, 2017 1:19:04 PM(UTC)

Hi Daniel and Carol and welcome. I love this site too and find it so helpful.  I did not buy any kindle cookbooks before this site, but lately I've been steadily adding them based on recommendations here under other thread.

Seattle and Philadelphia areas are some of my favorite areas to visit.  Each with their own style of cooking and ingredients. 

I normally take photos of new recipes so I can remember them better but having a place to put them next to the recipes like this site make it easy for me to find as well. 

14 Pages«<121314