Forum

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages<123>
Does your store-cupboard match?   Go to last post Go to last unread
#22 Posted : Sunday, May 30, 2021 12:25:39 AM(UTC)

Now that is a cool idea Bitrette .. and for the oils! Could be an EYB  marketing opportunity!!

#23 Posted : Sunday, May 30, 2021 11:34:17 AM(UTC)

I am a condiment diva.  I must have more  than 20 different bottles of vinegar and would post a photo, but last time I did post my own photo, my post was deleted so I won't.

#25 Posted : Sunday, May 30, 2021 5:50:23 PM(UTC)

Rinshin - we haven't ever deleted member photos on the Forum so there must have been a misunderstanding there. Please post away!

#18 Posted : Wednesday, June 2, 2021 4:01:59 AM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: DH31 Go to Quoted Post
Hello Agaillard. Self-raising flour is readily available in France. It is called "Farine de blÄ— pour gateaux - poudre à lever incorporÄ—e" in both Francine brand and others, even Super U used to do their own brand. It's exactly the same as UK self-raising flour.


That is so odd - I have NEVER noticed them ... I will ask my parents and sisters, see if it is just me bugging (which is very well possible!!) ... That can come in handy when I am doing UK recipe, I usually spend a significant amount of time recalculating the proportions :)

#26 Posted : Wednesday, June 2, 2021 2:08:20 PM(UTC)

Does anyone have an American substition for self-rising flour?  I have several British cookbooks, and they often call for self-rising or self-raising flour.


I have rarely seen it here in the US (when I lived in Denver), and grocery options are limited since I've moved to North Dakota.

#27 Posted : Wednesday, June 2, 2021 2:21:39 PM(UTC)

Cook's Illustrated suggests adding 1 1/2 teaspoons of baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon of salt to a cup (4 ounces) of cake flour to replicate self-rising flour. 

#28 Posted : Wednesday, June 2, 2021 2:26:07 PM(UTC)

I never buy it in the USA as I so rarely need it. But a simple substitute is all-purpose flour with baking powder added. The quantities vary between different online sites but KAF and thekitchn (both reliable) say 1.5 teaspoons of baking powder and 1/4 tsp of fine salt per cup of a-p flour. Nigella suggests 2 teaspoons of baking powder per cup of a-p, and also suggests adding 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda (bicarbonate of soda) when baking with cocoa, yogurt or buttermilk.

#29 Posted : Wednesday, June 2, 2021 3:31:31 PM(UTC)

Thank you for the advice, Redbird & Jane! Hopefully my English scones will be a success.

#24 Posted : Friday, June 4, 2021 2:22:43 AM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: Rinshin Go to Quoted Post
I am a condiment diva.  I must have more  than 20 different bottles of vinegar ...


I get teased by my son and niece ... and I only have 13 ... I need to figure out what I'm missing.

#30 Posted : Saturday, June 5, 2021 12:54:22 PM(UTC)

Just on the counter in kitchen because I ran out of space.  1 peach balsamico 2 lemon balsamico 3 fig balsamico.


On my booze counter, 4 homemade ume vinegar with shochu I use for drinks


In my cupboard, 5 regular rice vinegar, 6 seasoned rice vinegar, 7 champagne vinegar, 8 sherry vinegar, 9 red wine vinegar, 10 white wine  vinegar, 11 persimmon vinegar, 12 commercial ume vinegar, 13 apple cider vinegar, 14 regular balsamic vinegar, 15 expensive balsamico, 16 Japanese black vinegar, 17 chefs reduction with balsamic vinegar of moderna, 18 cane vinegar, 19 orange muscat champagne vinegar, 20 malt vinegar, black mission fig vinegar, and 21 la saba


 Whew!

#34 Posted : Sunday, June 6, 2021 11:30:23 AM(UTC)

Rinshin you made me smile... a condiment diva haha, but truly it is amazing how many different vinegars you store!

#36 Posted : Sunday, June 6, 2021 1:45:48 PM(UTC)

Reading you... I thought I had a lot but apparently, not so! 


- Oils : Olive, Isio 4 (neutral 4 oil combination); Olive premium, Mandarine Olive, White Truffle Olive, Black Truffle Olive, Chilli Olive, Sesame, Hazelnut, Walnut, Grapeseed, Coconut, and sometimes I make my own rosemary or thyme oil on top


- Vinegars : Red wine, Cider, Balsamic, Balsamic syrup, Apple white balsamic, Mango white balsamic, Raspberry, Xeres, Rice vinegar


And I do use them all frequently somehow.

#35 Posted : Monday, June 7, 2021 11:25:31 AM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: Marimar Go to Quoted Post
Rinshin you made me smile... a condiment diva haha, but truly it is amazing how many different vinegars you store!


Haha, my husband has said I have so many specialized foods at home that I can open a food specialty shop.  My mother also kept lots of food at home too.  So, it must be in our genes. 

#37 Posted : Monday, June 7, 2021 11:39:26 AM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: Agaillard Go to Quoted Post
Reading you... I thought I had a lot but apparently, not so! 


- Oils : Olive, Isio 4 (neutral 4 oil combination); Olive premium, Mandarine Olive, White Truffle Olive, Black Truffle Olive, Chilli Olive, Sesame, Hazelnut, Walnut, Grapeseed, Coconut, and sometimes I make my own rosemary or thyme oil on top


- Vinegars : Red wine, Cider, Balsamic, Balsamic syrup, Apple white balsamic, Mango white balsamic, Raspberry, Xeres, Rice vinegar


And I do use them all frequently somehow.


Olive oil, I probably have only 3 different virgin olive oils (all from Northern CA) and only one regular olive oil. Besides those, avocado oil I use everyday besides regular olive oil, peanut oil for Chinese cooking, walnut oil for dressings, sesame oil for Asian uses, coconut oil that I hardly ever use, and amani oil which is flaxseed oil loaded eith omega 3 from Japan.  The flaxseed comes from Canada. 


Looks like flaxseed oil is also available in the US.  Found several on Amazon.  

#38 Posted : Monday, June 7, 2021 4:35:13 PM(UTC)

This post got me to wondering how many "oils" and "vinegars" there are in EYB ingredient data base.. there has to be over 100..

#39 Posted : Monday, June 7, 2021 7:07:56 PM(UTC)

You are nowhere close Deb. There are 354 oils and 342 vinegars in the ingredient database. That does not include all the name variations that we list e.g. achiote oil, atsuete oil and urucum are listed as variants of annatto oil. There will be many that that you have never heard of (and probably only appear in one recipe!) e.g. trombolotto oil, Mongolian fire oil, green peanut oil were a few that stood out to me in oils. And in vinegars, have you ever come across ättika vinegar, osmanthus vinegar or wild poppy vinegar?


We all have a long way to go if we want a complete collection!

#31 Posted : Monday, June 7, 2021 9:25:18 PM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: Rinshin Go to Quoted Post
Just on the counter in kitchen because I ran out of space.  1 peach balsamico 2 lemon balsamico 3 fig balsamico.


On my booze counter, 4 homemade ume vinegar with shochu I use for drinks


In my cupboard, 5 regular rice vinegar, 6 seasoned rice vinegar, 7 champagne vinegar, 8 sherry vinegar, 9 red wine vinegar, 10 white wine  vinegar, 11 persimmon vinegar, 12 commercial ume vinegar, 13 apple cider vinegar, 14 regular balsamic vinegar, 15 expensive balsamico, 16 Japanese black vinegar, 17 chefs reduction with balsamic vinegar of moderna, 18 cane vinegar, 19 orange muscat champagne vinegar, 20 malt vinegar, black mission fig vinegar, and 21 la saba


Whew!


Quite impressive and several I have to try. I went a somewhat different route: 1. apple cider vinegar 2. Kressi's vinegar 3, Malt vinegar 4. Balsamic vinegar 5. Rice vinegar 6. Shanxi vinegar 7. black currant vinegar 8. Cane vinegar 9. Surig esig essence 28% spirit vinegar 10. lychee fruit vinegar 11. banana vinegar 12. maple vinegar 13. date vinegar 14. fig vinegar 15. Chili infused thick balsamic 16. coconut vinegar 17. Banyuls wine vinegar  .... hmm..I seem to be missing some usuals but I clearly have more than I thought.


Okay, folks, what can you add as a necessary vinegar that's not been mentioned. My Surig is a German/Scandinavian vinegar more acidic than any domestic version -- it's the only obscure vinegar in my pantry.

#40 Posted : Monday, June 7, 2021 9:30:34 PM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: Jane Go to Quoted Post
have you ever come across ättika vinegar,...


Why yes, when I was looking for the pickling vinegar where Surig met my needs ... now would I have heard of it if I weren't already looking for an obscure Scandinavian pickling vinegar? Well, no ...

#41 Posted : Tuesday, June 8, 2021 8:58:13 AM(UTC)

As I was typing that mjes, I thought "If anyone has heard of this, it will be mjes"!

#33 Posted : Wednesday, June 9, 2021 1:02:21 PM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: mjes Go to Quoted Post
Quite impressive and several I have to try. I went a somewhat different route: 1. apple cider vinegar 2. Kressi's vinegar 3, Malt vinegar 4. Balsamic vinegar 5. Rice vinegar 6. Shanxi vinegar 7. black currant vinegar 8. Cane vinegar 9. Surig esig essence 28% spirit vinegar 10. lychee fruit vinegar 11. banana vinegar 12. maple vinegar 13. date vinegar 14. fig vinegar 15. Chili infused thick balsamic 16. coconut vinegar 17. Banyuls wine vinegar  .... hmm..I seem to be missing some usuals but I clearly have more than I thought.


Okay, folks, what can you add as a necessary vinegar that's not been mentioned. My Surig is a German/Scandinavian vinegar more acidic than any domestic version -- it's the only obscure vinegar in my pantry.


mjes, banana vinegar sounds good.  I love persimmon vinegar and use that a lot.  Very versatile like apple cider or rice vinegar.  Have harder time using some fruit balsamic vinegars except fig.  Fig is very good.   


Tried making red wine vinegar but not too successful yet.   

3 Pages<123>
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.