Forum

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Everyday / easy ethnic books   Go to last post Go to last unread
#1 Posted : Wednesday, April 14, 2021 5:03:47 PM(UTC)
I've noticed a pattern with a few books that I like - Rick Bayless' Everyday Mexican, Fuchsia Dunlop's Every Grain of Rice, Andrea Nguyen's Vietnamese Food Any Day, etc. They are all by authors who have written some of the most authoritative and authentic books covering an ethnic cuisine, but here have decided to serve up versions of that cuisine that are simple and achievable. I know these are not always 100% authentic dishes, but I trust those authors to know the cuisine well enough to work out versions that are still very much worth doing if I am pressed for time.

I'd love to hear your recommendations for other quick and easy books along these lines.

Roger
#2 Posted : Thursday, April 15, 2021 5:33:15 PM(UTC)

If you're into Indian food,  I can recommend the Curry Guy - Dan Toombs . He also has a website  .. recipes are approachable, easy, and above all very tasty!

#3 Posted : Thursday, April 15, 2021 5:57:33 PM(UTC)

I’ve been enjoying Lavash by Kate Leahy, John Lee and Ara Zada (Armenian food)

#4 Posted : Saturday, April 17, 2021 4:48:51 PM(UTC)

Both volumes of Chinese Soul Food = regular or vegetariian

#5 Posted : Monday, June 7, 2021 9:58:41 PM(UTC)

Another good Indian recipe book is Indian(-ish), Recipes and Antics From a Modern American Family.  The book is very well written, and contains simple recipes from the author's mother's collection.  It's a joy to read and the recipes are tasty.

#6 Posted : Tuesday, June 8, 2021 7:14:13 AM(UTC)

Stir Frying to the Sky's Edge and Breath of a Wok by Grace Young are both excellent.  Recipes are generally both delicious and very approachable!

#7 Posted : Thursday, June 24, 2021 11:08:22 AM(UTC)

If you would like to try and experience Thai food, I recommend Hot Thai Kitchen by Pailin Chongchitnant. She also has a great website with full on video tutorials and extra tips on how to substitute certain ingredients that are hard to find. She also responds to questions via her social media channels. Let me know if you have liked any recipes.

Cheers from Brussels, Erwin

#8 Posted : Friday, July 9, 2021 12:10:24 AM(UTC)

My favorite cookbook, judged by the number of marked stickies on the pages, is The Mediterranean Kitchen by Joyce Goldstein.  Lots of flavor without excess work.  Recipes covering both sides of the Mediterranean Sea.

#9 Posted : Sunday, July 11, 2021 5:50:41 PM(UTC)

Harris Salat w/ Tadashi Ono have written several Japanese cookbooks. Their logic and recipes are very good.

Diane Morgan's cookbooks are good - her first Salmon book is my go to as well as her IACP book Roots.

#10 Posted : Friday, July 23, 2021 12:56:52 PM(UTC)

I'd add Lucky Peach Presents 101 Easy Asian Recipes to this group of cookbooks. I've liked just about everything I've tried from it, whether the recipes are "authentic" or not. The book is very up front about not aiming for absolute authenticity. I also really love Rick Bayless' More Mexican Everyday: Simple, Seasonal, Celebratory - I use this more than the first Mexican Everyday