Forum

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Fromage blanc = cottage cheese?   Go to last post Go to last unread
#1 Posted : Saturday, July 24, 2021 11:49:25 AM(UTC)

Hello fellow EYB lovers!

I just acquired at a supermarket rescue some quantity of "fromage blanc" due date today (I know they can keep for a couple of days though)... 

I was wondering on the English equivalent to search for on EYB.. Is it cottage cheese? In my memory cottage cheese from my UK and US days it is not exactly the same ...

What is your experience? Am I mistaken and can I sub one for the other? Or what would be the best ingredient to search for? 

I could also, alternatively, Google search French recipes with fromage blanc directly but I was wondering?

Thanks!!

Agnes

#2 Posted : Saturday, July 24, 2021 5:49:41 PM(UTC)

I suggest you look for recipes using "fresh cheese", "farmer's cheese", labneh, "queso fresco", or quark. Cottage cheese has curds so is a rather different consistency than Fromage blanc.

#3 Posted : Saturday, July 24, 2021 11:04:34 PM(UTC)

Don't you just love those "finds" at the markets .... gourmet sleuth has suggestions as to substitutes/equivalents etc see their URL .. enjoy finding recipes! 

#4 Posted : Sunday, July 25, 2021 2:42:55 AM(UTC)

Thanks both and for the link which explains the difference with each... Fromage blanc is very common in France, though somehow I don't buy it that frequently... and was surprised when I realised there is not really an exact equivalent ...

Google had told me cottage cheese but I knew that had to be a mistake, I indeed remembered a curdy texture, and the taste I think is quite distinctive, while fromage blanc is sweeter.

It was in a "rescue basket" where for a few euros you get a bag of a few items that are close to their due date, but complete surprise as to what is in it indeed!! ...