Forum

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Christmas Baking for Diabetics   Go to last post Go to last unread
#1 Posted : Wednesday, December 2, 2020 6:16:33 PM(UTC)

For a little extra cheer this year, I want to include some Christmas baking for friends who will have a much smaller than usual Christmas. The trick is, one member of the household is Type 2 Diabetic, and I've never done any baking for a diabetic.

I've been making these Salted Chocolate Shortbread Cookies for years. I was wondering if they might be appropriate. While it isn't a special diabetic recipe, I thought it might be a good choice in that they are small, yet satisfying -- perfect with a cup of coffee or espresso (BTW, a triple batch will JUST BARELY fit in a 5qt mixer, and the rolled logs freeze great).

https://www.eatyourbooks...olate-shortbread-cookies

Would this be appropriate? Or can experienced bakers' for diabetices make tried and true recommendations that would ship well?

Thanks in advance!

#2 Posted : Thursday, December 3, 2020 3:24:03 PM(UTC)

Hi fyretigger! That's really sweet of you but I suspect Christmas is a tricky time for diabetics anyway and I wonder if you would accidentally be making things harder for them? I know it might spoil the surprise a bit but is there a way you can ask your friend what they can have and what they're trying to avoid? I remember I made truffles one year for a coeliac family member feeling very pleased with myself for avoiding flour without realising that chocolate can be a problem - I learned my lesson the hard way! I suspect that the biscuits you linked might be too sweet. HOWEVER, I'm not diabetic myself so I hope someone more knowledgeable comes along and gives you better feedback!

#3 Posted : Thursday, December 3, 2020 8:41:22 PM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: Hannaha100 Go to Quoted Post

I know it might spoil the surprise a bit but is there a way you can ask your friend what they can have and what they're trying to avoid?

Thank you for the suggestion. I asked the non-diabetic in the relationship and I was told they would be fine and welcomed.

#4 Posted : Saturday, December 5, 2020 11:35:53 AM(UTC)

Oh yay! Glad to be wrong! I'm sure they'll be much enjoyed, the recipe looks delicious!

#5 Posted : Friday, May 6, 2022 7:31:21 PM(UTC)

I'm a diabetic as well, but unfortunately I  can't use artificial sweeteners  because I will end up with a huge headache  that lasts two days at least. So I have to decide what I'm going to eat that has sugar in it.