Forum

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Help with menu ideas   Go to last post Go to last unread
#1 Posted : Sunday, August 7, 2022 4:00:08 PM(UTC)

We are having my nephew, his gf, and gf's grandmother coming for a dinner later this week.  My nephew is recently intolerant of chicken and dairy and gf's grandmother was advised against eating all grain.  

For something to please 20 year olds and grandmother, I thought of making chili with a side of rice for my nephew and gf.  What can I serve for grandmother with chili?  Any ideas?  I do not want to go buy gluten free ingredients for this one time.   

Also planning to make Smitten Kitchen's poolside sesame slaw subbing already cooked bbq beef brisket in place of chicken.

#2 Posted : Sunday, August 7, 2022 6:01:00 PM(UTC)

I always make cornbread to to go with chilli - plenty of recipes just have cornmeal with no flour. I like this Skillet cornbread from Food52.

#3 Posted : Sunday, August 7, 2022 7:32:48 PM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: Jane Go to Quoted Post
I always make cornbread to to go with chilli - plenty of recipes just have cornmeal with no flour. I like this Skillet cornbread from Food52.

Thanks Jane. I thought about no flour cornbread but was worried it may be too dry without flour, but with your recommendation, will make this. 

#5 Posted : Monday, August 8, 2022 7:52:18 AM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: granch72 Go to Quoted Post
Rice bread, rice and rice noodles are your friend.

I’m a big fan of Soba noodles, which are made of buckwheat and usually gluten free! Just make sure the ones you get are 100% buckwheat, with no wheat flour added in. Cold soba noddles with tofu, veg, and a light sesame sauce is one of my favourite summer meals.

Thank you granch72. Unfortunately this grandmother cannot eat any grains including rice and soba.  So, it appears to be more restricted than no gluten diet.  Only thing I thought was something to do with potatoes minus any dairy. 

#6 Posted : Tuesday, August 9, 2022 9:07:17 AM(UTC)

How about cheese tuiles to add to the chili?

#7 Posted : Wednesday, August 10, 2022 6:22:25 AM(UTC)

Do fries go with chili (maybe like a poutine or a "trashcan plate"? Or just a green salad.