Forum

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

How to ensure your cookbook doesn't age gracefully aka unintentional humorous faux pas   Go to last post Go to last unread
#1 Posted : Monday, August 15, 2022 7:27:38 PM(UTC)

In  January 1959 Alaska became a state creating the short-lived 49 star flag; in August 1959 it became a 50 star flag with the admission of Hawaii as a state. In 1960 Florence Brobeck released her new anthology cook book, The "Best-of-all" Cook Book. Unfortunately the cook book has an Alaska section and a Hawaii section under Foreign Cookery. Somehow, I don't think she spent much time on the West Coast.

#2 Posted : Friday, August 19, 2022 10:10:32 AM(UTC)

That cookbook is a time capsule.

I have a mini-cookbook from 1971 (Better Homes & Gardens All-Time Favorites, free with a tube of Prell Concentrate shampoo) with a section titled "Specialties with a Foreign Flair." What is that "foreign flair"? Tomato-sauce Italian.

But it contains my go-to recipe for Italian meatballs.

#3 Posted : Friday, August 19, 2022 11:39:33 AM(UTC)

I have a Better Homes & Gardens Cook Books from 1951 & 1953 that has a section of 5 "Novelty Sandwiches," one being peanut butter and tart jelly. It does seem ironic that this is a novelty whereas chopped cooked bacon, peanut butter, and mayonnaise is just casually listed under "Meat and Fish Sandwiches" as if it's perfectly normal.