Forum

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Member Indexers Meeting Place   Go to last post Go to last unread
#22 Posted : Monday, August 14, 2023 10:41:28 AM(UTC)

For recipes that I have cooked in indexed books, I have reported updates: most often eggs, occasionally more descriptive ingredients than what was available back when indexed, sometimes moving store-cupboard ingredients up or reluctantly down accross the theshold, and a least once when the index had a very different ingredient that started with the first several letters of the correct ingredient.  After those "corrections," I have been asked (I think twice) to update that entire indexed book. I have declined, because I prefer indexing our unindexed books.

Yet we all have different priorities.

If EYB does away with SCI, then all the previously indexed books could use updating. If an indexer has a favorite, then maybe they could volunteer to update.

Also, first time indexers could be encouraged to update an indexed book so they can see the structure before indexing a book from scratch.

Another type of volunteer updating could be adding page numbers.

#23 Posted : Monday, August 14, 2023 3:39:13 PM(UTC)

We do have member volunteers adding missing page numbers - in fact one member right now is adding page numbers to 8 of her favorite books that are missing them. If any other member would like to do this (it's much quicker than indexing!) please email us and we can assign a book to you. We also ask members to add any missing eggs, egg yolks and egg whites.

We won't go back and all sci to all previously indexed books though of course if any member wants to do that for any of their own books, that is possible.

#24 Posted : Tuesday, August 15, 2023 4:01:38 AM(UTC)
Is there a quick way to identify books that have not been indexed with page numbers other than examining each individual book on our shelves for the presence of page numbers and adduing a bookmark of "Unpaged"? So far I have marked 33 books thus amongst my 246 shelved and indexed books that do not have page numbers.

Having identified unpaged books is it possible to volunteer to amend those specifically rather than randomly beinmg assigned a book?

On a similar vein I have at least one book where the title is inconsistent with the rest of the series; specifically one of the River Cottage Handbooks. Could such books be standardised?
#25 Posted : Tuesday, August 15, 2023 8:40:13 AM(UTC)

ThePatheticBaker - sorry, there isn't an easy way to identify which of your books do or don't already have page numbers. Your solution of adding an Unpaged bookmark to those you spot is the easiest. I suggest when doing a recipe search and spotting recipes without page numbers, that you open the book in a new tab and add the bookmark then. 

Members can volunteer to add page numbers to whichever of their own books they want page numbers for. Just email us and we will assign it. The same goes for making any corrections to book title, missing book covers, errors in indexed recipes, etc - email us and we will correct it.

#27 Posted : Tuesday, August 15, 2023 10:54:49 AM(UTC)

ThePatheticBaker,

Sort your bookshelf by Date Indexed.

Go to page 10, and the first indexed book is Dough.

Go to page 6, and the latest indexed book without page numbers seems to be The Hairy Bikers' Great Curries.

It won't be 100%, but everything in between most likely won't have page numbers.

#28 Posted : Tuesday, August 15, 2023 11:53:03 AM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: DromJohn Go to Quoted Post
ThePatheticBaker,

Sort your bookshelf by Date Indexed.

Go to page 10, and the first indexed book is Dough.

Go to page 6, and the latest indexed book without page numbers seems to be The Hairy Bikers' Great Curries.

It won't be 100%, but everything in between most likely won't have page numbers.

Thanks.

That is basically the process I have been following to apply my "Unpaged" bookmarks except I also enabled the "Indexed Books" on Only Show as that cuts my search space down by about 100. I reasoned that more recently indexed books were more likely to have page numbers included.

#29 Posted : Tuesday, August 15, 2023 11:56:20 AM(UTC)

Thanks DromJohn, a good suggestion. We started adding page numbers to books in February 2015 so once you have sorted your books by date indexed and found a book from around then that does not have page numbers, you can assume that most of the books indexed before then are missing page numbers.

ThePatheticBaker - all books indexed after mid-2015 have page numbers.

#30 Posted : Tuesday, August 15, 2023 1:08:31 PM(UTC)
I'm the member Jane mentioned who wants to add all the page numbers to all the books that are missing them in my collection. I find the page numbers to be one of the most useful features of this site- not having to search through the table of contents/index looking for a recipe that I KNOW is somewhere in the book is so nice. For a book with about 150 recipes it took less than an hour to add all the page numbers (though it was a vegan book, so no eggs to add). I encourage everyone who has a little time to spare to do it!
#31 Posted : Tuesday, August 15, 2023 6:24:41 PM(UTC)

We have now changed the indexing rules that member indexers can ignore the store-cupboard ingredients rules and index all ingredients if they choose. Experienced member indexers who know the rules well and prefer to skip those ingredients can choose to do so, or just to omit some of them e.g. salt and pepper which I think we can assume all cooks have in stock.

This will mean that we have a mixture of ingredient detail since 2.5 million recipes have been indexed without store-cupboard ingredients. And professional indexers will continue to omit store-cupboard ingredients. Any member who wants to proofread their own books and add in missed ingredients (or page numbers) then please email us and we can assign it to them.

Since we cannot assume all members read the Forum, Sydney will be reminding members of the rules change when she assigns books, And Nikki will also remind frequent users of the Bookmarklet for adding online recipes.

#33 Posted : Wednesday, August 16, 2023 6:56:00 AM(UTC)
Jane, thanks for the update and the change!
#34 Posted : Wednesday, August 16, 2023 5:51:34 PM(UTC)
This is interesting and welcome news!

I've update-indexed a few books in the past with page numbers, eggs, and more specific ingredients' it goes pretty quickly with big benefits to members (especially if the book's on a lot of shelves and/or is a book with many pages & recipes). I can imagine being willing to revisit some of the top-100-bookshelf cookbooks to update store-cupboard ingredients.

May I suggest that if/when that happens -- a member update-indexes SCI in a previously indexed book -- that EYB add a standardized Note to the book: "This book's indexing has been updated to include store-cupboard ingredients."?

#35 Posted : Saturday, August 19, 2023 3:28:31 AM(UTC)
Thank you Jane, this is good news.
#36 Posted : Saturday, October 14, 2023 10:20:35 PM(UTC)

Member indexers rock!!  Members are taking on 84% of the 393 books in "indexing now" as at todays date (15 October)! Thank you members!! And thanks to Sydney for her work in encouraging us all!!

#37 Posted : Sunday, October 15, 2023 9:02:51 AM(UTC)

Well the reason the member indexing numbers for 'Indexing Now' is so high is because many member indexers take on a book and never complete it. We chase as and when we have time (not often these days) and will chase up specific books if another member is getting impatient for the book to be completed. But if any member has a book assigned long ago to them that just needs a bit more time and effort to get completed, we would be grateful if they could complete it. Or if you know realistically that you will never complete it, please email us and we will unassign it. Then another member who owns it may want to take it on.

#32 Posted : Saturday, October 21, 2023 6:34:04 PM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: Jane Go to Quoted Post
We have now changed the indexing rules that member indexers can ignore the store-cupboard ingredients rules and index all ingredients if they choose. Experienced member indexers who know the rules well and prefer to skip those ingredients can choose to do so, or just to omit some of them e.g. salt and pepper which I think we can assume all cooks have in stock.

Thank you Jane, I am so pleased by this change. Sadly I hadn't caught up with it earlier - it might have changed the way I indexed my last book. In my case, the store-cupboard list and quantities do not match well against the things that are common in my pantry. I imagine this change will also benefit people who cook mainly from non-western style cuisines, or are on restricted diets (sugar-free, gluten-free, etc).

2 Pages<12