Forum

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Travel & Cooking Classes   Go to last post Go to last unread
#1 Posted : Monday, January 29, 2024 9:00:12 PM(UTC)
A friend from college and I, once a year or so, take a trip together, usually around 2-3 weeks in total duration. We find the trips to be enhanced when some part of the trip involves some deeper experience that makes up a part of the trip. We are considering a trip incorporating cooking or baking workshops. Does anyone have any recommendations? Pretty much anywhere in the world is a possibility. We would want classes to be taught in English, and we would consider anything from a partial day to a couple week workshop.

Has anyone on here taken the "Artisan European Bread: France, Italy, and Spain" workshop from Artisan Culinary School in Alicante Spain?

Are there any culinary travel operators that members can either recommend or discourage?

Thanks in advance!
#2 Posted : Monday, January 29, 2024 9:13:14 PM(UTC)
Diane Kochilas offers cooking class get-a-ways to Ikaria. You should be able to read about them on her website. dianekochilas.com
#3 Posted : Tuesday, January 30, 2024 10:39:45 AM(UTC)
Agreed! Taking a cooking class really adds to the trip experience. Here are a few personal favourites...
* French - Le Foodist and Cook'n With Class - both schools located in Paris
* Moroccan - class located at the Riad La Maison Arabe in Casablanca
* Thaï - Blue Elephant Cooking School located in Bangkok
#5 Posted : Tuesday, January 30, 2024 11:38:50 AM(UTC)
The John C. Campbell Folk School in North Carolina offers week long classes, including culinary classes. Some coming up are cheese making, 18th-century Scottish Hearth Cookery, dumplings of the world, and Italian Home cooking. The Folk school is a wonderful place. I recommend staying on site. I took an art class there 2 years ago and am hoping to go back soon. It's located in the southern part of the Appalachian mountains and a couple of hours from Atlanta.

Their website is folkschool.org
#7 Posted : Wednesday, January 31, 2024 4:08:32 AM(UTC)

I did a 5-day cooking class in Bali that was amazing. The place that offered it is no longer in existance but i am sure there will be other courses that combine food cultural experiences with cooking.

In India I find that most large hotels, if you ask, will provide some time with a chef who will walk you through dishes local to the area. Some of these sessions will be observational not hands-on, but they give you the chance to ask all your questions about general Indian or local food. They are amazing.

#8 Posted : Wednesday, January 31, 2024 5:08:56 PM(UTC)
pitterpat, Thanks so much for alerting me to the existence of the folk school, which I can't believe I'm just now learning about, given how long I've lived in the region (I'm even a Campbell!) I'm assuming that's in Greater Asheville? I'm off to explore their offerings, and eager to make an expedition there with friends.
#10 Posted : Thursday, February 1, 2024 12:16:00 AM(UTC)

I took the week-long culinary workshop in Uzes, France from Let's Eat the World and it was really excellent.  I can write more  about it later.

https://letseattheworld....ooking-vacations-france/

#9 Posted : Thursday, February 1, 2024 9:41:54 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: ellabee Go to Quoted Post
pitterpat, Thanks so much for alerting me to the existence of the folk school, which I can't believe I'm just now learning about, given how long I've lived in the region (I'm even a Campbell!) I'm assuming that's in Greater Asheville? I'm off to explore their offerings, and eager to make an expedition there with friends.

It's a couple of hours from Asheville. It's where Tennessee, Georgia and NC meet. In the fall, they have a big arts and crafts festival. The school also has a great history about helping locals. It's been around for 100 or so years. When I went, there was a cheese making class going on. Those students took home something like 6 pounds of cheese.

#11 Posted : Thursday, February 1, 2024 3:00:50 PM(UTC)

That´s awesome. I have not taken the "Artisan European Bread: France, Italy, and Spain" workshop from Artisan Culinary School in Alicante Spain, although sounds great.

I am afraid I just know interesting workshops or courses imparted by the Basque Culinary Center

or in Madrid by Alambique

but I am not sure if they have them in English 

and in France you have Ferrandi

#12 Posted : Monday, February 5, 2024 12:34:27 PM(UTC)

You might take a look at Chicca Maione's Cooking in Tuscany. I've really liked her online classes that I've done. I haven't done any of her in-person classes, but I've been thinking about it! She periodically offers free online classes, so you could do one of them and see if you like her teaching style.

https://cookingintuscany.cc/

#13 Posted : Thursday, February 8, 2024 6:34:15 PM(UTC)
I want to thank everyone for their suggestions.

Our planning is still in the early days and we haven't selected a destination. Portugal, possibly extending to Basque Spain and Morocco are strong possibilities right now. But we may end up somewhere else entirely.

We've previously done Tuscany and did take a multiple day cooking course there while staying at Villanova Agriturisimo outside Levanto, just north of the Cinque Terre. I can see myself doing Tuscany again in the future. Among other things, 4 full days in Florence was not nearly enough. I very much regret we didn't make it to Piazzale Michelangelo. And while we did the galleries at the Palazzo Pitti, we didn't have time to tour the extensive grounds; though we did luck out on our timing and got to go on a tour of the Grand Ducal Kitchen.

We tried to do a cooking lesson in Prague, but there was a confusion in translation and it turned out to be an in private home dining experience. It was still wonderful, but not quite what we were looking for.
#14 Posted : Sunday, February 11, 2024 11:17:09 PM(UTC)

Ballymaloe in Cork, Ireland has courses ranging from 1/2 day to week long. Did 3 different sessions a few years ago that were fabulous -demonstrations followed by hands-on sessions. Intro to Moroccan cooking with Darina Allen, cooking from her Coast cookbook with Rachel Allen, and a week long intensive course focusing on different ingredients each day with Rachel and Rory O’Connell. Have gone to Tuscookany in Italy, twice, weeklong Mediterranean and weeklong Italian last year. 4-5 hands on sessions in beautiful setting. Also recommend Bertinet Kitchen in Bath, England for bread courses. All 3 schools were well taught, top notch ingredients and instructors. Would go back again to all 3! Have fun!

Going to Greece in May for week long course on Poros through The International Kitchen, they have other locations as well.

#4 Posted : Saturday, February 24, 2024 10:01:50 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: smrc Go to Quoted Post
Agreed! Taking a cooking class really adds to the trip experience. Here are a few personal favourites...
* French - Le Foodist and Cook'n With Class - both schools located in Paris
* Moroccan - class located at the Riad La Maison Arabe in Casablanca
* Thaï - Blue Elephant Cooking School located in Bangkok

I'm scheduled for the Market and Cooking Class with Cook'n With Class in May!!! Glad it comes recommended~
#15 Posted : Saturday, February 24, 2024 10:05:03 AM(UTC)

Anyone have a recommendation for a cooking class in Barcelona, Valencia, Malaga Spain and Libson Portugal? Will be there in May/June 2024

#6 Posted : Friday, March 1, 2024 6:18:19 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: pitterpat4 Go to Quoted Post
The John C. Campbell Folk School in North Carolina offers week long classes, including culinary classes. Some coming up are cheese making, 18th-century Scottish Hearth Cookery, dumplings of the world, and Italian Home cooking. The Folk school is a wonderful place. I recommend staying on site. I took an art class there 2 years ago and am hoping to go back soon. It's located in the southern part of the Appalachian mountains and a couple of hours from Atlanta.

Their website is folkschool.org

What? I've lived in North Carolina for decades and I've never heard of this! It looks wonderful!