Forum

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Guilty of Geocentrism   Go to last post Go to last unread
#1 Posted : Monday, May 6, 2024 2:10:50 AM(UTC)
I love mushrooms. So when I saw a gorgeous spread of them with title "The Wild Ones" crop up on my Apple News feed, I immediately clicked. I read the subtitle "Autumn is the season to celebrate funghi," and indignation set in. It's the first week of May! It's six weeks until the first week of Summer! Autumn is ages from now. Does everything have to be rushed these days? Can't anything wait for its season? Still... mushrooms... so I went on.

I scrolled further and the second recipe was for "Kangaroo, Ale and Mushroom Pie." But this is from "Gourmet". Wait... "Gourmet" is defunct... "Gourmet Traveler"... from Australia... where it is Autumn...

Well... that's just embarrassing. But all the recipes look good. I wonder what's the best substitute for kangaroo? Hmmm... LOL
#2 Posted : Monday, May 6, 2024 6:54:12 AM(UTC)
I'm guessing this is what happens when you get rid of people and salaries to boast profits and then rely on algorithms.
#3 Posted : Tuesday, May 7, 2024 1:28:52 PM(UTC)

I was making a self-deprecating joke, that I was the one suffering from geocentrism.

Actually the Apple News algorithm worked great. I have Apple News set to show articles from relevent sources and I am subscribed to all the cooking magazines, so when Gourmet Traveller became available, its article came up as a suggestion in my news feed.

#4 Posted : Wednesday, May 8, 2024 8:02:30 PM(UTC)
I have a book of knitting patterns with a pattern for “July gloves,” and inevitably there’s a critical review on Amazon commenting snarkily on how no one needs gloves in July. Well, you might if you live in New Zealand, and that’s where this author lives. :). Side note: I live in California, but we lived for a year in New Zealand when I was a young child, and I remember having a winter birthday in July for the first and only time in my life. :)
#5 Posted : Thursday, May 9, 2024 3:11:54 AM(UTC)

Fyretigger - best substituite for kangaroo is a really lean piece of beef fillet ;-) An Aussie, downunder, where we have just had our first fire of the autumn (fall)/winter season and a casserole in the oven cooking away... down to a chilly 15 degrees C (59 F) here in Bris-vegas tonight. But really kangaroo has no substitute - its a no cholesterol meat, really lean, really tasty!!

#6 Posted : Thursday, May 9, 2024 10:48:18 AM(UTC)
In the "really lean, really tasty" category here in the US, you might consider Buffalo. Also, the Broken Arrow Ranch website offers a number of options for game meat, such as venison and wild boar.

https://brokenarrowranch.com/?gad_source=1

"This venison comes from truly wild and free-roaming South Texas Antelope, Axis Deer, and Fallow Deer. All animals are field harvested using a mobile processing unit. These species produce venison that is extremely lean and of the highest quality"
#7 Posted : Thursday, May 16, 2024 7:51:10 AM(UTC)

I get a lot of that as I read the digital version of the UK Guardian newspaper - but articles from the sister Ausssie versie pop up.

It's very annoying when there are statements like "you can get this at any grocery store" - no I can't!

But it's a particular issue with mushrooms, many of the (fortunately very few) fatal fungi poisonings in the UK occur in Asian immigrants, who are experts in their homeland but our local 'shrooms have a few false friends that look like mushrooms they have enjoyed there, but aren't.  Always use a local guide, preferably humn but at least a printed field guide.