Forum

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

#1 Posted : Friday, May 24, 2024 12:58:44 PM(UTC)

I love it, but not the 30 minutes stirring to make the brown roux ! Is there a short-cut, please? It occurred to me that adding Bisto powder to the flour might work, but I wouldn't want to risk using it & ruining dinner.

#2 Posted : Friday, May 24, 2024 3:28:15 PM(UTC)

I know nothing about making gumbo but after reading a blog post by Marisa McClellan on Food in Jars, I 'roast' my flour until it is brown before making gravy. It takes away the raw taste of the flour and adds color.

#3 Posted : Saturday, May 25, 2024 2:57:48 PM(UTC)

Not a short-cut, but you could make a very large batch of roux and freeze the leftovers.

#4 Posted : Sunday, May 26, 2024 12:13:54 AM(UTC)

Just do an ordinary white roux and add parisienne essence for colour ? Some folks suggest the flour needs to be cooked out - generally around 20 minutes for white sauce.. i find 5 mins palatable.

#5 Posted : Monday, May 27, 2024 10:03:04 AM(UTC)
Just search the library for oven roux, there is an online recipe there that I have used successfully. Mostly hands off.
#6 Posted : Wednesday, May 29, 2024 3:49:39 AM(UTC)

Good suggestion about freezing roux, I have not thought of that but I do with white sauce.  I have to do that.

And oven roasted roux, definitely will try that.  Very curious what that will taste like but I suppose it depends on length of darkness desired.