Forum

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Egg white inspiration please!   Go to last post Go to last unread
#1 Posted : Wednesday, April 24, 2024 6:07:24 AM(UTC)

It's coming round to the time of year when I always have a surplus of egg whites in my fridge.  The asparagus season is just starting and I've made hollandaise sauce twice in the last week alone, and I'm sure I'll be making ice cream in quantity soon.  

Whilst I can always make an egg free ice cream, I don't always want to, and meringue gets a bit boring after a while.  I've just used up the egg whites from last night's hollandaise on these amaretti biscuits https://www.eatyourbooks...529228/amaretti-biscuits and the next lot will probably go into these madeleines: https://www.eatyourbooks...s-madeleines-au-sarrasin but I keep repeating the same recipes and need inspiration

I have searched for recipes using the egg white filter, but I'd love some of your recommendations please.

#2 Posted : Wednesday, April 24, 2024 10:28:25 AM(UTC)

Whenever I have leftover egg whites I freeze them in bags marked with date and number of egg whites. Then when I make macarons I always have a ready supply. Macarons is my main use for them as I don't like meringues (too sweet).

#3 Posted : Wednesday, April 24, 2024 4:12:38 PM(UTC)

Jane;49853 wrote:
Whenever I have leftover egg whites I freeze them in bags marked with date and number of egg whites. Then when I make macarons I always have a ready supply. Macarons is my main use for them as I don't like meringues (too sweet).

Thanks Jane. I'll have to give those a go ... I usually only get macarons when we're over in France as a treat. I have frozen egg whites before and usually lose them at the back of the freezer and forget about them!

#4 Posted : Thursday, April 25, 2024 12:38:33 AM(UTC)

I have the same problem every summer when I start making luscious fruit ice creams.  But I also put the extra egg whites in small freezer containers labeled with the number of egg whites as well as the date.  Having all these egg whites in the freezer made me discover the joy of making angel food cakes.  The recipes for these cakes call for 12-16 egg whites so you can use up a lot of egg whites very quickly.  And as an extra bonus they are delicious served with some of my homemade ice cream.

#5 Posted : Thursday, April 25, 2024 1:54:40 AM(UTC)

hillsboroks;49855 wrote:
I have the same problem every summer when I start making luscious fruit ice creams.  But I also put the extra egg whites in small freezer containers labeled with the number of egg whites as well as the date.  Having all these egg whites in the freezer made me discover the joy of making angel food cakes.  The recipes for these cakes call for 12-16 egg whites so you can use up a lot of egg whites very quickly.  And as an extra bonus they are delicious served with some of my homemade ice cream.

Thanks hillsboroks. I shall look for an angel food cake recipe. It wouldn't take too many batches of ice cream to generate enough egg whites for that and if I have a recipe that uses so many egg whites, I can make much more ice cream!

#6 Posted : Thursday, April 25, 2024 5:48:59 AM(UTC)

I have the same problem. One good way to use them is with another French cake, this one made with ground almonds - financiers.

#7 Posted : Thursday, April 25, 2024 11:39:44 AM(UTC)

RogerP;49857 wrote:
I have the same problem. One good way to use them is with another French cake, this one made with ground almonds - financiers.

Thanks RogerP, I'll take a look at those recipes. 

#8 Posted : Friday, April 26, 2024 8:52:29 AM(UTC)
I will add them to smoothies. Also I make Pecan Dainties from the Baking Yesteryear book. The recipe is online in other formats.
#10 Posted : Friday, April 26, 2024 9:22:59 AM(UTC)
You might want to get the Baking Yesteryear cookbook or check it out in the library. It has a ton of recipes that use egg whites.
#9 Posted : Friday, April 26, 2024 10:24:22 AM(UTC)

smartie101;49862 wrote:
I will add them to smoothies. Also I make Pecan Dainties from the Baking Yesteryear book. The recipe is online in other formats.

Thanks for those suggestions smartie101.  I've never had a pecan dainty before, but I'll look up a recipe.

#11 Posted : Sunday, April 28, 2024 3:55:06 PM(UTC)
I make Crème Brûlée (egg yolks) and Angel Food Cake (egg whites) back-to-back. One time my parents were visiting and I made these. After dinner I asked which everyone wanted for dessert and my dad requested both! A rare occasion for him as my mom monitors his diet closely and this would rarely be allowed. LOL!
#12 Posted : Monday, April 29, 2024 9:48:49 AM(UTC)

The best ice cream ever (imo) is Blanco y negro from Diana Henry at The Sunday Telegraph (in the EYB library).  It uses 3 egg whites, no yolks, and is a kind of Spanish version of affogato. Henry describes it as a "meringued milk", very easy to make.

#13 Posted : Tuesday, April 30, 2024 1:36:28 AM(UTC)

Thanks PennyG and Pamsy.  I'm going to have to look up the blanco y negro ice cream recipe - sounds fabulous!

#14 Posted : Sunday, May 5, 2024 11:08:57 PM(UTC)

Egg whites: any type of friand (they also freeze & defrost perfectly); the standard Pavlova; egg white omelettes; marshmallows... all of course nicely calorific, save for the omelet (except if made as a savoury) !!

#15 Posted : Monday, May 6, 2024 8:34:02 AM(UTC)

debkellie;49891 wrote:
Egg whites: any type of friand (they also freeze & defrost perfectly); the standard Pavlova; egg white omelettes; marshmallows... all of course nicely calorific, save for the omelet (except if made as a savoury) !!

Thanks debkellie. I'm not sure I'll be able to sell the concept of an egg-white omelette to anyone here!!  I've never made marshmallows, so maybe I'll give that a go when I next make ice cream. 

#16 Posted : Tuesday, May 7, 2024 6:04:03 PM(UTC)
If I have just 2 or 3 egg whites, I use them for scrambled eggs or an omelet along with a couple of whole eggs. Some yolk makes a big difference in color and texture, and I find them much more pleasant to eat that straight whites. This works especially well if you add a bunch of fresh herbs.
#17 Posted : Sunday, May 12, 2024 4:17:17 PM(UTC)

MollyB;49897 wrote:
If I have just 2 or 3 egg whites, I use them for scrambled eggs or an omelet along with a couple of whole eggs. Some yolk makes a big difference in color and texture, and I find them much more pleasant to eat that straight whites. This works especially well if you add a bunch of fresh herbs.

Thanks MollyB