Forum

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

16 Pages123>»
Say Hi and introduce yourself   Go to last post Go to last unread
#1 Posted : Wednesday, February 24, 2010 11:48:54 AM(UTC)

I'll get this one started.  I'm Jane, I'm the co-founder of EYB with my sister Fiona.  I have a lot of cookbooks, almost 800.  They aren't all on my EYB Bookshelf yet as about half are British but when we expand the EYB Library soon I will be able to add them all.  I use them so much more now with EYB but I still am acquiring more. Yes, I'd call it an addiction - I just love reading cookbooks but most of all, cooking from them.

#2 Posted : Wednesday, February 24, 2010 5:06:26 PM(UTC)

Hi! My name is Anne.  I'm a homeschooling mom to four daughters ages 17, 14, 12, and 11.  The girls being at home all the time means more meals at home.  We are ALWAYS in the kitchen because someone is ALWAYS hungry.  They never manage to hit growth spurts at the same time.

I love food and love cooking... have an ever growing library of cookbooks but have trouble remembering where that good sounding recipe was and getting back to it quickly enough to use them.  This website could be VERY beneficial to me and allow me to get a lot more use out of my cookbooks than I currently do because of time constraints and I look forward to trying it out.

I can tell you one feature that would shove me right off the '30 day trial' shelf and into a lifetime commitment... and that is to also provide the same service with cooking magazines on this website.  I have at least as many magazines as I do cookbooks and some of them have really wonderful recipes in them but I have the same problem with the magazines as the cookbooks.  Actually, the magazines are bit worse in that respect.  It would be HUGE to have both my cookbooks AND my cooking magazines all in this one, easily searchable place.  I'd pay in a heartbeat.

Anyway, I look forward to the trial! Good luck with this venture!

Anne

#3 Posted : Thursday, February 25, 2010 3:51:11 AM(UTC)

I've just moved to beautiful Muskoka as my husband was fortunate enough to find work up here. It's been so hectic, but now I'm located up here with my books and cats in a rented cottage, and miles away from stores. Not having a car for myself to drive, I find my days are filled with cooking & reading. EYB has made this awesomely easy! Being able to search on an ingredient and read through what other ingredients I need has been an absolute treasure. Not to mention, if I find a recipe I want to try, I can save it in Do Laters, and make a list of what I need to make it. I was hooked from the beginning by this website, and have been telling everyone about it.

#4 Posted : Thursday, February 25, 2010 10:56:18 AM(UTC)

Hi, my name is Lisa and I live in Golden, CO. I, too, have tons of cookbooks and love to buy them whenever I travel but then they sit on a shelf and I can't remember what's in them. I think EYB will give me the nudge I need to use the books more. I've already become a lifetime member and in just a few days have already seen more books added that I have. I'm really looking forward to getting them all indexed so I know what I have which I think will be a huge help in the future.

Can't wait to meet everyone.

Lisa

#5 Posted : Sunday, March 7, 2010 4:13:12 PM(UTC)

Hi! My name is Kristin and I'm in Brooklyn, NY.  I found EYB quite by accident and I couldn't be more thrilled.  I am very impressed by the number of books that some of you all have on your shelves, since I've got a fraction and EYB has just been a revolution in how I flip through my recipes.  I still enjoying pouring over one book cover to cover on a lazy Sunday morning, but when I've got an ingredient or an idea, I turn straight to EYB.  Thanks so much for creating a great database!

#6 Posted : Wednesday, March 10, 2010 5:25:50 PM(UTC)

Hi.  I'm Linda T.  I have an addiction to cookbooks as well as cooking magazines.  I love looking at them & reading them.   Oh yes.  I live in Alaska.

#7 Posted : Thursday, March 11, 2010 1:50:54 AM(UTC)

Hello,  

I've read a couple of requests for magazines to be indexed.  

For Donna Hay fans I thought I'd mention that all Donna Hay's website has an index of all recipes from Issues 1 - 36 along with some of her special publications.  

Not sure if EYB can make use of this information, here's the link: www.donnahay.com.au/reci...enus/published-index.php

#8 Posted : Thursday, March 11, 2010 9:02:49 AM(UTC)

Thanks for the link SueMmm - I'll check it out.  BTW, you can insert a link by highlighting the words e.g. Donna Hay's website then click the link icon (third from right), then insert the URL into the box.

We will soon be putting up a survey to find out what magazines members would like indexed most urgently.  With books we know what members have as we see can see the numbers on Bookshelves but we obviously don't know what magazines you all get regularly.

#9 Posted : Friday, March 12, 2010 2:36:30 PM(UTC)

Hi everyone,

I'm Pepper from Las Vegas and I love to cook, watch cooking shows, read cookbooks and magazines about cooking, and now try to figure out all the recipes I've missed by going to the web for recipes when I probably have even better ones in my own library!  Thanks for creating this website.....I look forward to a long and happy addictive experience with it, too! ;-)

#10 Posted : Saturday, March 13, 2010 7:34:50 AM(UTC)

Greetings, Cook Book Friends!

I'm Foodelf from Vancouver, Canada and I love all things food. 

I cook and can't imagine not doing so; for me it's therapy, creativity, fullfillment and joy.  By extension, I love cookbooks and food writing.  My smallish living space dictates that I have to be careful about adding books to my collection - I can't afford to give shelf space to books I won't use.  I often check out a book I'm considering from the library to determine if I'll use it and have avoided mistakes this way. 

I work full-time and I'm also a gardener and a music lover with extra speakers in the kitchen - naturally.

Foodelf

#11 Posted : Friday, March 19, 2010 11:19:57 AM(UTC)

Hi everyone,

I'm Andrea from northeastern Pennsylvania. I love to cook and bake, as well as collect vintage cookbooks and aprons, read mysteries, and crochet.

EYB is really a terrific site - what a great way to make the recipes in our own cookbooks more accessible (especially those books that don't have an index)!

#12 Posted : Friday, March 19, 2010 12:11:17 PM(UTC)

I am in love with this site.  I am a personal chef and holistic nutrition counselor in Los Angeles and just finished inputting all 83 of my cookbooks.  I am somewhat surprised that's all I have!  I have always felt that so many of my cookbooks were going to waste sitting on the shlef collecting dust.  I cannot wait to start adding to my list of favorite recipes and to rediscover the recipes that have been on my shelf all along! 

#13 Posted : Saturday, March 20, 2010 4:03:29 AM(UTC)
Foodelf, how did you get an avatar ? I've looked all over for that option and can't find it.
#14 Posted : Saturday, March 20, 2010 2:14:12 PM(UTC)

Hi. Silver Sage - that's my own photo and I've used it in my profile on my iMac - it shows up on several sites and blogs where I'm active. But I'm not really sure how it surfaced here - I didn't do anything to activate it... but it showed up in my first post.  Not a very helpful reply, I'm afraid.

Foodelf

#15 Posted : Saturday, March 20, 2010 9:28:25 PM(UTC)

I asked for this topic, so I'm sorry for being delinquint in posting here. 

I'm Kathy.  SilverSage is my screen name all over the net, so if you see me somewhere, say "Hi!"

My screen name comes from 'Silver' - my hair is almost pure white, and 'Sage' - even as a child I was the grownup in the room.

I've been cooking for over 45 years, and have accumulated hundreds of cookbooks.  About 1/3 of them are in EYB, but 2/3 of them are older books that aren't on here. 

I am thrilled that Jane andFiona created this site, and as a new lifetime member I hope to make the most of it.

I look forward to meeting more of ya'll and sharing our knowledge.

#16 Posted : Saturday, March 20, 2010 9:29:44 PM(UTC)

Foodelf wrote:

Hi. Silver Sage - that's my own photo and I've used it in my profile on my iMac - it shows up on several sites and blogs where I'm active. But I'm not really sure how it surfaced here - I didn't do anything to activate it... but it showed up in my first post.  Not a very helpful reply, I'm afraid.

Foodelf

Jane, how can we insert our own avatars?

#17 Posted : Sunday, March 21, 2010 5:09:07 PM(UTC)
Hi everyone,

My name is Lauren. I live in a suburb of Philadelphia. I "only" have forty-something cookbooks on EYB at this time, not as many as some of you! I cook every day for my husband and two young sons, but I learned to cook from my mother and grandmother. I also write a food blog, Dream Kitchen, at http://dillaye.blogspot.com/.
Jane and Fiona, this is such a great idea. I hope you can add page numbers to your indexing.

I love cookbooks, because I like to be a part of a chef or food writer's vision. A cookbook is like a collection of poems; the sum is greater than the parts. I also like to write in pencil in my cookbooks (or even pen!), and cookbooks are much more satisfying to work with than a computer printout. Looking forward to seeing what happens with this site!

Lauren
Dream Kitchen
http://dillaye.blogspot.com/
#18 Posted : Monday, March 22, 2010 5:42:22 PM(UTC)

Silversage - we added the EYB logo avatar at http://en.gravatar.com/ .  There are probably several sites like this - as SilverSage says - but this was was free and easy.  Just be aware that your avatar will then appear wherever you post.

#19 Posted : Thursday, April 1, 2010 1:30:42 AM(UTC)
Hello, fellow cookbook nerds

I'm Zoe, from Canberra in Australia where I live with my partner Owen , our two boys aged 7 and 3, three hens a cat and about 500 cookbooks. I'd been putting them on Library Thing but this is so much more useful! I have a food blog at http://progressivedinnerparty.net and am on twitter at @crazybrave.

#20 Posted : Thursday, April 8, 2010 7:02:20 AM(UTC)

Hi

This is a brilliant site. I've just discovered both Library Thing and Eat Your Books and spent the last few days uploading my cookbooks. I think I have about 400 cookbooks, been collecting cookbooks for the last 20 years. I'm on the 30 day trial at the moment, but will move to lifetime membership when the British catalogue comes online. I live in the UK in Kent - the Garden of England. EYB will make using my cookbooks so much easier, and meals so much more interesting.

16 Pages123>»