Forum

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages123>
#1 Posted : Thursday, April 6, 2017 11:26:26 AM(UTC)
Suggesting this as a (hopefully) active discussion. I can see there are many interesting people with a lot of knowledge about food on this site. I would like to hear from you. What did you recently make? Did it work out? Did you use a new ingredient that you haven't tried before? A new technique? Or just an old favorite.

I'll start. We recently made
Shredded chicken tacos (Tinga de pollo) from Cook’s Illustrated Magazine, Jul/Aug 2016 (page 5)

This has overcome my reluctance to jump on the chicken thigh bandwagon. It seems all the websites and blogs are using thighs these days. But I honestly find many chicken thigh recipes to be tasty but with a somewhat unpleasant texture. But with this method, the meat was beautifully tender. And I love the smokiness that the chipotle with adobe sauce adds.

What are you cooking?
#2 Posted : Thursday, April 6, 2017 1:16:01 PM(UTC)

Hi, Paula_W -- I haven't cooked anything new recently (an unintended side-effect of working for EYB!) but I would like to suggest that you add a public Note to the Shredded chicken tacos (Tinga de pollo) recipe for the benefit of other members. (If you've never added a Note before, see this article in our Support Center: http://support.eatyourbo...note-to-a-recipe-or-book)

#3 Posted : Thursday, April 6, 2017 5:30:36 PM(UTC)
I just made Jerusalem's Braised eggs with Lamb, Tahini and Sumac (Hamshuka). Well, I actually made it a week ago but am still dreaming about it. It is everything I love in a Yotam Ottolenghi recipe (layers of flavors from different components) but a more-or-less one dish meal. Swoon
#5 Posted : Thursday, April 6, 2017 6:36:41 PM(UTC)

@Paula-W  This is why I read the Notes section on the EYB homepage - by adding a note to a recipe we share our experiences of what we've made and how it turned out (and maybe what could be done better next time!).  This has become an integral part of my daily internet browsing time.  If I only want to read about recipes that are on my bookshelf I click on My Bookshelf and then Notes / Reviews to get all the notes that have been added to recipes that I already have access to.  Sometimes these notes prompt me to make a recipe I've otherwise overlooked; sometimes I read the comments and decide not to make a recipe after all! 

#6 Posted : Thursday, April 6, 2017 7:46:58 PM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: FJT Go to Quoted Post

@Paula-W  This is why I read the Notes section on the EYB homepage - by adding a note to a recipe we share our experiences of what we've made and how it turned out (and maybe what could be done better next time!).  This has become an integral part of my daily internet browsing time.  If I only want to read about recipes that are on my bookshelf I click on My Bookshelf and then Notes / Reviews to get all the notes that have been added to recipes that I already have access to.  Sometimes these notes prompt me to make a recipe I've otherwise overlooked; sometimes I read the comments and decide not to make a recipe after all!

Thats new to me, and it's very useful. Is there a way to comment Notes / Reviews? 

#7 Posted : Friday, April 7, 2017 6:45:04 AM(UTC)
Thanks Deborah and FJT. This isn't meant to replace comments on recipes. But to allow for more back and forth dialogue - to the extent people want it. Hope that helps
#4 Posted : Friday, April 7, 2017 6:47:23 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: Barb_N Go to Quoted Post
I just made Jerusalem's Braised eggs with Lamb, Tahini and Sumac (Hamshuka). Well, I actually made it a week ago but am still dreaming about it. It is everything I love in a Yotam Ottolenghi recipe (layers of flavors from different components) but a more-or-less one dish meal. Swoon

I've never cooked with Sumac. Will have to try that
#8 Posted : Friday, April 7, 2017 7:53:18 AM(UTC)

Ottolenghi's Chicken with caramelized sumac onions, preserved lemon, and Israeli couscous was my introduction to cooking with sumac.  It's a delicious dish that's on our regular rotation.

#9 Posted : Friday, April 7, 2017 10:17:38 AM(UTC)
I have not heard of Yotam Ottolenghi before. I just added one of his online recipes to my 'try it' bookmark. Lamb and bulgur meatballs from The Guardian, April 16, 2016: Easy Ottolenghi: 20 Quick and Easy Recipes for Spring by Yotam Ottolenghi

I have a nice lamb meatball recipe I love but this seems different with the bulger and feta in the mixture.

Any suggestions for an online recipe with sumac in it?
#10 Posted : Friday, April 7, 2017 1:01:28 PM(UTC)

Paula_W - you are in for such a treat if you are just discovering Yotam Ottolenghi. His recipes are usually interesting and different to anything you have cooked before. He is a big favorite with EYB members - his books are 1, 2, 6 and 18 in our popularity sort of books in the EYB Library.

We have 849 of his recipes with online recipe links. In there are 45 recipes using sumac (some of those are duplicates). My personal favorite is Turkey & courgette burgers with spring onion & cumin - the sauce is fantastic.

Sumac is also an ingredient in za'atar and there are also 21 online Ottolenghi recipes using that spice blend. And if you would like to branch out beyond Ottolenghi for sumac recipes there are 792 online recipes with sumac and 399 online recipes with za'atar.

#11 Posted : Friday, April 7, 2017 1:59:12 PM(UTC)
Thanks Jane. It's now on my growing 'try it' list. Luv this site. Rediscovering recipes from my own library and learning of new ones too.
#12 Posted : Tuesday, April 11, 2017 8:43:57 PM(UTC)

Because it finally feels like spring, after a very long winter, I decided to have our first barbeque of the season tonight. Hardly any snow left in my yard and warmer temperatures. I had some thick pork chops from the butcher, so made Grilled pork chops marinated in mojo from the Serious Eats blog indexed on EYB. Easy and tasty...I added a note to the recipe. I usually do that when I try recipes. In fact, I always write notes in my cookbooks, and sometimes when I come across a note that way, I'll add it to EYB. I love reading notes others add.

#13 Posted : Sunday, April 16, 2017 8:12:05 AM(UTC)
Sounds excellent Cindy. We had a local farm that we could get fresh pork from. They stopped raising pigs though.
#14 Posted : Sunday, April 16, 2017 7:04:02 PM(UTC)

For dinner, today, I cooked a couple of small beef eye round roasts, according to Cook's Illustrated.  I don't really cook roasts, not for lack of interest, but they were a really good price, so got them instead of ham, for once (for Easter dinner).  I'm very pleased with the results.  REALLY glad I had recently purchased a remote oven thermometer.  Amazon had one of their lightening deals that made it very reasonable.  It made this recipe far easier to accomplish, since temperature has to be spot-on to keep the meat tender and juicy.  

#15 Posted : Monday, April 17, 2017 1:18:34 PM(UTC)
Creative.juices, I have never had a bad recipe from Cooks. Some I won't try again just cause we have so many great recipes. But I'll even try a cooks recipe on guests for the first time. Glad your roast turned out well!
#16 Posted : Monday, April 17, 2017 5:01:55 PM(UTC)

Thank you for posting about the recipe with the chicken thighs.  I'm not a huge fan of them, though if they're cooked long enough they're, admittedly, pretty good.  I'd rather use them in a recipe, rather than eat them straight.

#17 Posted : Wednesday, April 26, 2017 4:43:05 PM(UTC)

I'm just wondering whether any one else is questioning portion sizes in contemporary recipes in light of every nation's problem with obesity.. I just made Ricotta & basil crepe manicotti from this month's Delicious (Aus).. I halved the ingredients, and there was still enough for 4 very generous serves.. the original recipe was for 4 - 6 serves (and used 1kg ricotta & 8 eggs!). When are the test kitchens going to come back to reality?

#18 Posted : Thursday, April 27, 2017 9:30:17 AM(UTC)

I was just back in London now from holidays in Vietnam and climbing my way up from a simple pan-fried fish with lentils and leeks, to gang bao chicken with peanuts and then chicory beer and cheddar soup with griddled chorizo sprinkle, when I was brutally stopped by a tooth abscess yesterday afternoon.

So mainly eating antibiotics now. I tried to eat the rest of lentils at lunchtime with very thinly shredded smoked ham but even that was a bit much.

This is sad, but i will rejoice in hearing and bookmarking your ones then :)

#19 Posted : Thursday, April 27, 2017 11:08:26 AM(UTC)
Last night I tried a new fish recipe that I had been eyeing in used seafood cookbook I came across on Amazon a few months ago called "Fiesta Seafood Cookbook - A Taste of Pensacola." The recipe is called Pan-sautéed Grouper with Tasso, Parsnip and Roasted Corn Hash. I subbed a nice piece of albacore tuna from the freezer for the grouper and could not find Tasso ham so I used some artisan-crafted Kentucky pepper ham instead and the hash was fabulous! I put a quick rub on the tuna using the Spice Islands Garlic Herb grinder blend before sautéing. The medium rare tuna with the hash was a perfect marriage and the whole dish came together quick enough for a weeknight dinner. My husband was quite skeptical about this recipe when I started but was loving it on his plate. This book is full of other very interesting and exciting fish recipes that I plan on trying. Unfortunately it is only on 4 bookshelves and not indexed so most of you won't be able to peruse the yummy new fish recipes.
#20 Posted : Saturday, April 29, 2017 9:08:50 AM(UTC)
Agree with you debkellie about portion size. I like recipes with leftovers so usually works out ok but my weight would not if I followed most serving size suggestions:-)
3 Pages123>