Forum

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Have any great food related mystery/historical fiction books to recommend   Go to last post Go to last unread
#1 Posted : Tuesday, November 28, 2017 1:57:14 PM(UTC)
I just finished a fascinating and intriguing mystery set in the kitchens of the Reform Club in London in the early 1840s. The book is called "The Devil's Feast" by MJ Carter. It is the third book in her series but the only one specifically concerned with food. Carter has done a fabulous job of researching this book and uses real historical characters and incidents throughout her book. She takes the reader into all the intricate workings of a "modern" (for its day) Victorian kitchen and specifically focuses on Chef Alexis Soyer, who was not only one of the most creative chefs in his day but also a prodigious inventor of kitchen appliances. The story delves into food poisoning, food preservation and of course a couple of murders related to the kitchen along the way. There are no recipes but Carter throws in amazing descriptions of dishes served by Chef Soyer and others based on recipe books and menus from the day. All in all, a great rainy read with a cup of tea. Now I need to find another book like this one. Has anyone got any suggestions?
#2 Posted : Tuesday, November 28, 2017 9:35:33 PM(UTC)
Yes! The China Bayles mysteries by Susan Wittig Albert. China was an attorney in Houston before quitting and opening an herb shop in the Texas Hill Country where she uses her smarts to solve all kinds of mysteries while running her herb shop and eventual tea room ... she does include recipes at the end of each book of the dishes made throughout the story. Check them out!
#3 Posted : Wednesday, November 29, 2017 1:21:53 PM(UTC)

Diane Mott Davidson has several escapist mysteries featuring a caterer in Aspen Co. There are recipes in every chapter.

#4 Posted : Thursday, November 30, 2017 3:38:45 PM(UTC)

There's a series written by Julie Hyzy about a female chef at the White House who solves murder mysteries.  It's light reading, but fun, and there are recipes at the back of the book.  I've read the series on my Kindle via Amazon.  A few of the titles include:

- Buffalo West Wing

- Eggsecutive Orders

- State of the Onion

#5 Posted : Saturday, December 2, 2017 12:05:23 PM(UTC)

It is historical but not fiction-  Eight Flavors is amazing. It goes through the major spices we use in the US (vanilla, pepper, curry powder, sriracha, rosewater, etc.) and describes how they came to the US and how their use has changed.  Also Jason Goodwin's Inspector Yashim series is quite good as well.  Set in Turkey, they are really quite good.  Fans loved the descriptions of food so much, there is now a cookbook.

#6 Posted : Saturday, December 2, 2017 3:10:23 PM(UTC)
Feast of Sorrow by crystal king. It’s set in Ancient Rome, based on the Roman, Apicius, told from the view point of his slave, chef, Thacius. Lots of political intrigue and sumptuous feasts. The cookbook is one of the oldest existing ones, irl. It’s a fascinating work of historical fiction.
#7 Posted : Sunday, December 3, 2017 4:04:27 PM(UTC)

Love these recommendations. 

#8 Posted : Monday, December 4, 2017 9:15:47 PM(UTC)
Agree! This was a great question, and I hope replies keep coming. Already in hot pursuit of a few Inspector Yashim books...
#9 Posted : Tuesday, December 5, 2017 4:51:05 PM(UTC)
I am so excited about all the suggestions! I've read quite a few Diane Mott Davidson's books when I was in the mood for something light as well as Gail Oust's spice shop mysteries set in small town Georgia. But I absolutely loved Jason Godwin's Yashim books. They give you so much in-depth history of the region and culture as well as lots of exotic culinary fare. Now I have added "Eight Flavors", "Feast of Sorrow" and Julie Hyzy's books to my future reading list. I just knew that the EYB community would have great ideas about what to read.
#10 Posted : Thursday, December 7, 2017 1:55:19 PM(UTC)

If you don't mind frothy predictable stories, I love Jenny Colgan's books.  Meet Me at the Cupcake Cafe has recipes in it, including a lemon cake that I love.

#11 Posted : Thursday, December 14, 2017 6:38:15 PM(UTC)
Based on Beetlebug's recommendation I got "Feast of Sorrows" by Crystal King from my library and just finished it. What a fabulous book and in-depth look at the cooking of Roman times. Like MJ Carter, King also based her book on actual historical figures and then wove her story around them. On the lighter side I followed Tomato's advice and read one of Julie Hyzy's White House Chef mysteries. As she said this was on the lighter side but it was fun to have a peek into the White kitchen and the drama around preparing for a state dinner. Now I am on to "Eight Flavors" for more reading fun.
#12 Posted : Sunday, December 17, 2017 5:11:05 PM(UTC)

"Cooking For Ghosts- The secret Spice Cafe" by Patricia Davis I loved the story, lots of cooking but I don't remember recipes...It takes place aboard the Queen Mary docked in Long Beach, CA

#13 Posted : Monday, December 18, 2017 10:14:17 PM(UTC)
#14 Posted : Thursday, August 22, 2019 2:57:57 AM(UTC)

Andrea Camilleri's Inspector Montalbano series isn't exactly food related, but the inspector is a bit of a foodie and each book has one or two descriptions of great meals that always make me want to go cook some Sicilian food. You guys might enjoy them. 

#15 Posted : Thursday, August 22, 2019 4:00:29 AM(UTC)

Hmmm, if it is okay with Jane, I'll ask to load some more of the food mysteries with recipes into the system even though it will be a while before I'll have time to index them. You'll find that there are more than 60 mysteries from my collection in the category Novels with recipes.

#16 Posted : Thursday, August 22, 2019 10:11:55 AM(UTC)

mjes - I have added some of your recent requests. If there are Novels with recipes that are not imported that you want to index, please do email us with details. There was a glitch on a couple of the imports and they did not get added to your Bookshelf. If you look down the Latest added books and see any with a 0 next to the Bookshelves icon, then those need to be added to your Bookshelf. 

#17 Posted : Thursday, August 22, 2019 1:36:21 PM(UTC)
I just want to say thank you to all with these recommendations. Bought kindle editions of two so far.
#18 Posted : Monday, September 9, 2019 4:37:15 PM(UTC)

Bruno, Chief of Police is the start to a mystery series set in France. Bruno seems to involve himself in food somehow...I've read two Kindle shorts The Birthday Lunch and The Chocolate War. His series I have found at the library

#20 Posted : Thursday, September 12, 2019 6:21:57 PM(UTC)

Nero Wolfe series by Rex Stout

Nero Wolfe is a gourmand detective with food settings prominent in the stories.

If reading just one Nero Wolfe for the story, then I recommend "The Doorbell Rang."

If reading just one Nero Wolfe for the food and the defense of American cooking, then I recommend "Too Many Cooks."

If adding just one cookbook to your library on Eat Your Books, then I recommend "The Nero Wolfe Cookbook."

#21 Posted : Thursday, September 12, 2019 6:56:49 PM(UTC)
Darn, Bruno chief of police is not in kindle format. I will check the library. I did just buy The Doorbell Rang. Thank you all for good reading.
2 Pages12>