Forum

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Additional suggestions for cookbooks that are zero waste/use leftovers?   Go to last post Go to last unread
#1 Posted : Monday, September 17, 2018 5:38:55 PM(UTC)

I'm trying to tag all the zero waste/leftover use cookbooks in my library ... and perhaps find some new ones to add to my collection. This is what I have currently tagged (in popularity order). Do you have additional suggestions? Especially international cooking - I know Japanese temple cuisine is very zero waste oriented.

#2 Posted : Monday, September 17, 2018 6:28:38 PM(UTC)

Cooking with Scraps by Lindsay-Jean Hard comes out next month. I went through the entire book when I was creating the Preview and I was very impressed. It gave me lots of great ideas.

We do have Leftovers & Food Waste as a book filter in the Library - there are currently more than 100 books with the tag but I'm sure there will be a lot more in coming months.

#3 Posted : Monday, September 17, 2018 7:04:03 PM(UTC)

River Cottage Love Your Leftovers by Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall
The No-Waste Meal Planner by Becky Thorn

#4 Posted : Tuesday, September 18, 2018 7:27:16 PM(UTC)

Thank you. I've pre-order one book and added two to my list for the next Powells book run.

#5 Posted : Wednesday, September 19, 2018 7:02:22 PM(UTC)
#6 Posted : Thursday, September 20, 2018 6:50:06 PM(UTC)

These are all such great suggestions, and I'm glad this topic is being explored so thoroughly. I would add The Everlasting Meal: Cooking with Economy and Grace, by Tamar Adler. It's lyrically written, and goes way beyond the pragmatics of cooking, to the cyclical nature of life itself. More than specific tips and suggestions, it imagines a deeply nurturing way of cooking that is very compelling and comforting.

#7 Posted : Friday, September 21, 2018 9:53:03 PM(UTC)

Thanks for posting these ideas. It's an interesting topic. When I was younger I always felt there were some ingredients (celery, garlic, scallions) where I almost never used up the whole bunch. Over the years I've developed a little more flexibility when it comes to using up leftover ingredients--and especially now that I'm cooking much more often I sometimes use up things that always went to waste before, but it's still hard to prevent waste if you're not a restaurant or a professional chef.

The only relevant book that I can think of in my small collection is:

https://www.eatyourbooks...ary/100193/eat-the-weeds

But I also enjoy the idea of rollover suppers that Rachael Ray includes in her book, https://www.eatyourbooks...m-o-the-family-cookbook. They're a lot of fun. Some are planned for two nights and some for three. You can buy all of the ingredients in advance, and it's a lot of fun converting leftovers into something new and equally delicious on subsequent nights.

Sorry, I'm new here. So I can't seem to figure out how to get the links to display properly.

#8 Posted : Saturday, September 22, 2018 12:36:04 PM(UTC)

whitewoods, thanks for your post! I was able to get the links to work just fine; the link to the Rachael Ray book had a stray period at the end that was the problem. 

Also, thanks for highlighting Eat the Weeds -- I've added the Leftovers & food waste tag and fleshed out our cataloging a bit in hopes that more members will be able to find what looks like a very interesting book for foragers and food-waste-avoiders!

#9 Posted : Sunday, September 23, 2018 9:04:23 PM(UTC)
#10 Posted : Tuesday, September 25, 2018 1:23:51 PM(UTC)

Not a book, but a good website :-

lovefoodhatewaste.com

Why can't I paste in here?  Is it just me?

#11 Posted : Tuesday, September 25, 2018 2:52:02 PM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: omnivore Go to Quoted Post

Not a book, but a good website :-

lovefoodhatewaste.com

Why can't I paste in here?  Is it just me?

Here you go, omnivore: https://lovefoodhatewaste.com/

After you copy and paste in the URL you want to insert into your post, highlight what you copied-and-pasted, click the link symbol on the editing bar, then copy in the URL where it says "Link URL" and click on Insert to create a hyperlink. 

#12 Posted : Tuesday, September 25, 2018 4:35:44 PM(UTC)

Maybe EYB could consider a "leftovers" recipe type tag? There are a few recipes that do suggest they are "leftover" adaptations!

#13 Posted : Tuesday, September 25, 2018 9:16:34 PM(UTC)

We do have a new tag: Leftovers & food waste! You can find it in the Filter by... sidebar under Cooking Methods, and there are 103 books already tagged with it, including a few that were brought to our attention in this thread.

#14 Posted : Tuesday, September 25, 2018 11:37:00 PM(UTC)

To clarify: Leftovers & food waste only applies at the Books level, not to Recipes. We do have a lot of 'leftover...' ingredients, as well as various '...skins', '...peels', '...stems' and similar scraps-type ingredients, that could be helpful in a Recipes search.

#16 Posted : Wednesday, September 26, 2018 8:00:36 AM(UTC)
And another one

https://www.eatyourbooks...7016/the-thrifty-kitchen by Suzanne Gibbs and kate Gibbs
#15 Posted : Wednesday, September 26, 2018 4:46:55 PM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: Deborah Go to Quoted Post

To clarify: Leftovers & food waste only applies at the Books level, not to Recipes. We do have a lot of 'leftover...' ingredients, as well as various '...skins', '...peels', '...stems' and similar scraps-type ingredients, that could be helpful in a Recipes search.

Maybe creation of a tag at the recipe level would be useful..? Particularly for magazine recipes, several of which now have a "no waste" section 

#17 Posted : Monday, October 1, 2018 5:44:45 AM(UTC)

Diana Henry Food from Plenty, Good Food Made from the Plentiful, the Seasonal and the Leftover. With over 300 recipes, none of them extravagant.

#18 Posted : Tuesday, October 2, 2018 7:33:09 AM(UTC)

Not specifically zero waste, but a way to Simplify cooking SIMPLE FOOD FOR THE GOOD LIFE - Helen Nearing.

#19 Posted : Tuesday, October 2, 2018 12:46:32 PM(UTC)

Wild Flavors: One Chef's Transformative Year Cooking from Eva's Farm by Didi Emmons 

This book has a lot of ideas about reducing waste of fresh produce.  It has been categorized as "indexing now" for a very long time. 

#20 Posted : Tuesday, October 2, 2018 4:02:28 PM(UTC)

bching - Wild Flavors was assigned to a member some time ago. She has completed over 100 recipes but has not finished the book. I have emailed her asking if she wants to finish it or whether it should be unassigned. I will post an update here when I hear back from her.

2 Pages12>