Forum

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Search help - limiting results   Go to last post Go to last unread
#1 Posted : Sunday, March 22, 2020 10:04:34 AM(UTC)
I’m trying to search my cream cheese recipes. How do I structure my search so I don’t get all the recipes using heavy/whipping cream and some sort of cheese but no actual cream cheese? I tried putting it in quotations, putting plus sign before each word, but I can’t seem to get only cream cheese as an ingredient.
#2 Posted : Sunday, March 22, 2020 10:18:11 AM(UTC)

MarciK - as always when wanting to reduce your search results, use the filters in the right hand column to make your results more precise. In this case you would select under Ingredient - Dairy / Cheese / Fresh cheese / Cream cheese. Now you are only seeing recipes containing cream cheese rather than recipes containing the words cream and cheese. These are the 8,660 online recipes using that filter.

If anyone would like help on using filters, Tutorial #3 is on that topic. You access the Tutorials from the green Need Help? button at bottom right (not available on phones). There is also a Help page on Search filters.

#4 Posted : Sunday, March 22, 2020 1:54:53 PM(UTC)

MarciK, separate from Jane's advice to use filters, I'm surprised that searching "cream cheese" in quotation marks didn't produce a set of suitable recipes that contain that exact phrase in the recipe titles, since that's how EYB searches display results: words/phrases in recipe titles first, followed by ingredients matching your search terms. And of course if "cream cheese" appears in the title, that ingredient would also be listed in the Ingredients field of the recipe.

#5 Posted : Wednesday, March 25, 2020 9:40:10 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: Deborah Go to Quoted Post
<p>MarciK, separate from Jane's advice to use filters, I'm surprised that searching "cream cheese" in quotation marks didn't produce a set of suitable recipes that contain that exact phrase in the recipe titles, since that's how EYB searches display results: words/phrases in recipe titles first, followed by ingredients matching your search terms. And of course if "cream cheese" appears in the title, that ingredient would also be listed in the Ingredients field of the recipe.</p>

I was surprised too. That was the first thing I tried.
#3 Posted : Wednesday, March 25, 2020 9:41:51 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: Jane Go to Quoted Post
<p>MarciK - as always when wanting to reduce your search results, use the filters in the right hand column to make your results more precise. In this case you would select under Ingredient - Dairy / Cheese / Fresh cheese / Cream cheese. Now you are only seeing recipes containing cream cheese rather than recipes containing the words cream and cheese. These are the <a href="https://www.eatyourbooks.com/library/recipes?q=%22cream+cheese%22&amp;online-recipes=true&amp;f_ingredient_group=880">8,660 online recipes</a> using that filter.</p>
<p>If anyone would like help on using filters, Tutorial #3 is on that topic. You access the Tutorials from the green Need Help? button at bottom right (not available on phones). There is also a <a href="https://support.eatyourbooks.com/hc/en-us/articles/360039093234-Using-the-search-filters">Help page on Search filters</a>.</p>

Thanks, that worked. I guess I didn’t understand how the ingredient filter worked.