Forum

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Micro-regional cookbook .... and covid-19   Go to last post Go to last unread
#1 Posted : Wednesday, March 25, 2020 8:35:44 PM(UTC)

Yes, I live within 30 miles of the infamous nursing home outside Seattle and yes, my age puts me in the high risk category, so guess who has already had lots of time in "social distanting" aka semi-isolation. Which means, of course, that I can't go prowling ethnic grocery stores - even though I'd just discovered a new Filipino one. At least, some local markets - butcher, sea food, and green grocer of local products - is now delivering and providing curbside options. So what better time to re-explore some of the great cookbooks actually intended to be of interest here at home. For me, that includes:

My question to you is what micro-regional cookbooks represent what you can cook while covid-19 limits your shopping options? Or even if not under restrictions, what is the cooking of your immediate locale?

#2 Posted : Monday, March 30, 2020 11:41:21 PM(UTC)

I am also in the Pacific Northwest, just about 25 miles west of Portland so we are cooking with many of the same ingredients available to you. I have salmon, razor clams and lots of ocean fish my husband caught in the freezer and rely heavily on the recipes of many Northwest chefs and cookbook authors. Right now I find I am using lots of hazelnuts that are available to me locally. Oregon produces about 98% of the US hazelnuts here in the Willamette Valley so they are easy to find. I think as the quarantine goes on we will all be cooking with more and more of our hyper-local ingredients.