Forum

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Getting pop ups offering membership   Go to last post Go to last unread
#1 Posted : Thursday, May 7, 2020 2:40:49 PM(UTC)
When I use this app on my phone, I get a pop up offering me a membership even though I’m already a paid member. Should this be happening, or is there a problem?
#2 Posted : Thursday, May 7, 2020 4:46:14 PM(UTC)

MarciK - check on your phone settings to see if you have blocked cookies. If you have then the site does not recognize you are a member. You can also set up sign in on your phone Settings. So sign in as soon as you get to EYB on your phone and you won't see the popups.

#3 Posted : Thursday, May 14, 2020 2:49:54 PM(UTC)
I checked both things. Cookies are not blocked, and I stay signed in. Iris happening while I am signed in.
#4 Posted : Saturday, May 16, 2020 11:16:04 AM(UTC)

This has started happening to me as well, for what it's worth. It shows me as logged in at the top of the page but I still get the membership pop-ups.

#5 Posted : Saturday, May 16, 2020 2:28:19 PM(UTC)

We will look into this and try to work out why it is happening.

#6 Posted : Sunday, May 17, 2020 2:34:01 PM(UTC)

It happens to me too, even though I'm signed in.

#7 Posted : Thursday, May 21, 2020 12:07:11 PM(UTC)

And me!

#8 Posted : Thursday, May 21, 2020 12:24:49 PM(UTC)

We have adjusted the pop-up settings. Are you still seeing it now?

#9 Posted : Thursday, May 21, 2020 2:35:01 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: Jane Go to Quoted Post
<p>We have adjusted the pop-up settings. Are you still seeing it now?</p>

Not so far. I’ll report back if something comes up later.
#10 Posted : Thursday, May 21, 2020 3:10:37 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: MarciK Go to Quoted Post
Not so far. I’ll report back if something comes up later.

I spoke too soon. I left the window open but closed Internet Explorer. When I went back in, the pop-up came up
#12 Posted : Thursday, May 21, 2020 3:33:02 PM(UTC)

And you had signed back in MarciK when you saw the popup? Are you really using Internet Explorer on your phone?

#13 Posted : Thursday, May 21, 2020 7:38:09 PM(UTC)
<p>And you had signed back in MarciK when you saw the popup? Are you really using Internet Explorer on your phone?</p>

Sorry, it’s Safari, not Internet Explorer. It logs me on automatically. I don’t need to sign in and out. I have it set so I stay logged in.
#14 Posted : Friday, May 22, 2020 11:08:22 AM(UTC)

Final question - do you have Safari set to delete all cookies on exit? If you do that then the site will not recognize you when you first arrive. Or do you have Private Browsing History activated which means no cookies are stored at all?

#15 Posted : Friday, May 22, 2020 12:04:40 PM(UTC)
No, it keeps all cookies. My philosophy is that of websites are going to advertise anyways, might as well be stuff they think I’ll like.
#16 Posted : Wednesday, May 27, 2020 4:45:54 PM(UTC)

Update: I logged on on the computer after not being on this way in a long time. (Usually using my phone). I still got the pop-up as soon as I clicked on the Library to search a recipe.

#11 Posted : Thursday, May 28, 2020 8:20:54 AM(UTC)

We have adjusted the pop-up settings. Are you still seeing it now?

I haven't seen the pop-up on my MacBook in the last few days whilst I've been indexing (possibly since you made the adjustments), however I just went and clicked around the site on my iPad and the pop-up appeared after I'd clicked through a few different pages.

#17 Posted : Thursday, May 28, 2020 9:04:37 AM(UTC)

What is strange is that these pop-ups are appearing for only a few members and I and other EYB staff never see them. This does suggest there is something in the set up for some members that is allowing the site to think they are a new visitor. This would usually be deleting or blocking cookies (the cookie allows EYB to recognize you) or having some privacy setting that means you are not recognized.

#19 Posted : Thursday, May 28, 2020 11:51:49 AM(UTC)
Well, for me at least it’s not cookies or privacy settings. I’ve checked those. It did start to come after my membership auto renewed. Perhaps it has something to do with that on your end.
#20 Posted : Thursday, May 28, 2020 7:14:13 PM(UTC)
This pop up first appeared on my site at the end of March. I ssent a screen pic of it to Deborah on 6th April. It appeared every time I opened the library. It hung around for ages but it disappeared about the same time that Marcik got it.
#18 Posted : Friday, May 29, 2020 5:48:15 AM(UTC)

What is strange is that these pop-ups are appearing for only a few members and I and other EYB staff never see them. This does suggest there is something in the set up for some members that is allowing the site to think they are a new visitor. This would usually be deleting or blocking cookies (the cookie allows EYB to recognize you) or having some privacy setting that means you are not recognized.

The strange bit is that it happens when I'm already logged in (I have both my laptop and iPad set to remember me so I don't have to log in each time) and also that it doesn't happen as soon as I open EYB but after a while when I've visited several pages.  I almost took a screenshot yesterday but, as the pop-up obliterated the bit that showed I was signed in, it seemed pointless.  Frankly it doesn't bother me - I just close the pop-up - but it is odd!

2 Pages12>