Forum

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Question for members with thousands of books on your bookshelf.   Go to last post Go to last unread
#1 Posted : Sunday, May 17, 2020 8:05:10 AM(UTC)
Hi,
I've noticed there are a lot of members with thousands of books on their EYB bookshelves. Do you actually own that many books or do you use EYB in a different way that I am missing? Looking for tips and secret tricks 😀 Thanks!
#2 Posted : Sunday, May 17, 2020 10:57:38 AM(UTC)

Hi Julia28 - I own more than 2,500 cookbooks and that is what shows on my Bookshelf. I think most members with very large bookshelves actually own those books. There are a few libraries - America's Test Kitchen, Milk Street, Food Network and culinary schools - must most of those bookshelves are individuals (who have the space to store the books).

#3 Posted : Sunday, May 17, 2020 1:12:43 PM(UTC)

I am so glad you asked that! I own all of my books. Over the years, I have thinned them out quite a bit, but always take them out of my library. How frustrating that would be to search for a cupcake recipe and then find out you have no access :(

So, here we are in the middle of a pandemic and I have decided to thin ever farther. Is there any kind of giving library on Eat Your Books? Does anybody want my extra copy of OTTOLENGHI or . . .

#4 Posted : Sunday, May 17, 2020 4:25:57 PM(UTC)
Hi @mathildespantry! I don’t know if it’s allowed, but I’m growing my cookbook collection and I would love your extra copy of Ottolenghi.
#5 Posted : Sunday, May 17, 2020 5:41:30 PM(UTC)

I have a little over 900 books on My Bookshelf.  Nearly 200 are Kindle books; I don't like them nearly as much, but I am truly out of room!  I did a huge cull a couple of years ago, but I continue to buy more, though I'm much pickier about what I purchase than I was when I was just starting out.  I love to read my cookbooks like novels.  Plus they all give me such great inspiration!  I rarely pay full price for a cookbook - either get at Half Price Books or purchase on Amazon with the points I accumulate from my Amazon credit card.

#6 Posted : Friday, May 22, 2020 2:42:06 AM(UTC)

I have all the books on my shelf but decided it was time to prune ... only to have the Friends of the Library announce that they are no longer taking books ... now I need to find a place to rehome the culls.

#7 Posted : Saturday, May 23, 2020 2:07:46 PM(UTC)

I currently have approximately 6,400 cookbooks (real) on my shelves at home.  In addition, I have about 250 books about food and food writing.  I have no Kindle books.  EYB has been a terrific help to me in trying to locate recipes.  For the approximately 1,400 books not in their library, it's the old "seek and ye shall find" way of finding recipes!  I also started a "recipes to try" file a couple of years ago, by reading the cookbooks and keeping a list of page numbers of ones I wanted to try, which I then entered in a spreadsheet, so that is also very helpful.  I have slowed down on collecting, as I'm pretty particular and don't just purchase them for the sake of having a huge number.  Almost all of them are used and I have more from the 1980's and much earlier as I'm not as partial to the newer ones.  Enjoy your cookbooks!

#9 Posted : Sunday, May 24, 2020 11:51:12 AM(UTC)

My collection isn't as large as many members here, but still some of the cookbooks on my Bookshelf are Kindle books. They are not taking up physical space in my house, but I can still include them in my searches. I would probaly never use a Kindle cookbook if not for EYB -- I don't ever think to "thumb" through a Kindle cookbook, but I sometimes purchase a title that's a good deal and it's nice to know I can access those recipes when they pop up in an EYB search. 

Also, I remember at least a person or two mentioning in the past that they add books to their EYB shelf they know they can borrow from their local library (and I'd assume they Bookmark them accordingly to prevent confusion about what is in their house vs. another location).

It could also be useful to add books to your Bookshelf to "test" a cookbook before buying -- once again, if clearly marked that it's not a book you actually own, it could be helpful to see if a book you are considering ever turns up any results as you go about using the site as you usually do. 

If you subscribe to an monthly ebook service such as Kindle Unlimited or Scribd, you certainly could add cookbook titles available through those services as well.

I also imagine you *could* add books to your Bookshelf you know you could access from friends or family if you wanted to, it all depends on how you want to set things up.

#10 Posted : Wednesday, May 27, 2020 7:15:43 PM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: Christine Go to Quoted Post
My collection isn't as large as many members here, but still some of the cookbooks on my Bookshelf are Kindle books. They are not taking up physical space in my house, but I can still include them in my searches. I would probaly never use a Kindle cookbook if not for EYB -- I don't ever think to "thumb" through a Kindle cookbook, but I sometimes purchase a title that's a good deal and it's nice to know I can access those recipes when they pop up in an EYB search. 

Also, I remember at least a person or two mentioning in the past that they add books to their EYB shelf they know they can borrow from their local library (and I'd assume they Bookmark them accordingly to prevent confusion about what is in their house vs. another location).

It could also be useful to add books to your Bookshelf to "test" a cookbook before buying -- once again, if clearly marked that it's not a book you actually own, it could be helpful to see if a book you are considering ever turns up any results as you go about using the site as you usually do. 

If you subscribe to an monthly ebook service such as Kindle Unlimited or Scribd, you certainly could add cookbook titles available through those services as well.

I also imagine you *could* add books to your Bookshelf you know you could access from friends or family if you wanted to, it all depends on how you want to set things up.

Thanks @Christine! These are very helpful tips! It never would have occured to me to create a bookmark for books I didn't own like this. I love it!! 

#8 Posted : Thursday, May 28, 2020 7:56:33 PM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: manycookbooks Go to Quoted Post
I currently have approximately 6,400 cookbooks (real) on my shelves at home.  In addition, I have about 250 books about food and food writing.  I have no Kindle books.  EYB has been a terrific help to me in trying to locate recipes.  For the approximately 1,400 books not in their library, it's the old "seek and ye shall find" way of finding recipes!  I also started a "recipes to try" file a couple of years ago, by reading the cookbooks and keeping a list of page numbers of ones I wanted to try, which I then entered in a spreadsheet, so that is also very helpful.  I have slowed down on collecting, as I'm pretty particular and don't just purchase them for the sake of having a huge number.  Almost all of them are used and I have more from the 1980's and much earlier as I'm not as partial to the newer ones.  Enjoy your cookbooks!

I have a modest collection of 190 books, but I also use the 'seek and ye shall find' approach for finding recipes in the unindexed books. I then use the Add Personal Recipes function on the website, listing the ingredients and making a note of where I found the recipe. Once entered, these recipes can turn up in my searches on EYB. (I love this website!) 

#11 Posted : Friday, May 29, 2020 10:56:07 AM(UTC)
I love the idea of adding "wish list" books to my bookshelf....my "small house / limited space" collection runs around 160 titles and I am positive I will remember which books I don't own. What a great way to help make smart book choices!