Forum

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Dill: Journey Deep into the Cuisines of Asia   Go to last post Go to last unread
#1 Posted : Saturday, May 23, 2020 5:05:27 AM(UTC)

My local coop carries this magazine https://dillmagazine.com/collections/all which has excellent recipes. I'd love to see it in EYB as it provides a different perspective than the American immigrant cookbooks. Yes, I'll admit that it is carried much more on the West Coast than the rest of the country.

#2 Posted : Saturday, May 23, 2020 9:31:58 AM(UTC)

We do have several issues in the Library as a member volunteered to index them. Only one issue has been done so far. If you or any other member is interested in indexing issues, please let Deborah know and she will add those issues to the Library. The magazine isn't on enough Bookshelves (yet) for us to index it.

If you ever have a magazine request, please add it to the Forum topic How to suggest magazines for indexing? so we have all requests in one place.

#3 Posted : Sunday, May 24, 2020 8:42:08 AM(UTC)

hi, Dill magazine only has 4 printed issues to date. I finished indexing them so they will be up soon I expect...

I also absolutely love this magazine, maybe they will make more issues (last one was from 2018)...

#4 Posted : Sunday, May 24, 2020 10:19:59 PM(UTC)

Thank you for indexing these - I don't know why I didn't find it by ISBN the other night. I also like your taste in cookbooks - several that I'm going to take a look at now

#7 Posted : Monday, May 25, 2020 9:00:44 AM(UTC)

mjes - Dill Magazine is listed under magazines so that is why if you looked in Books you did not find them. All 4 issues are now indexed (thanks mziech!).

#5 Posted : Monday, May 25, 2020 10:06:21 AM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: mjes Go to Quoted Post
Thank you for indexing these - I don't know why I didn't find it by ISBN the other night. I also like your taste in cookbooks - several that I'm going to take a look at now
As I recall magazines don't have international standard book numbers, because they're not books. They have ISSNs though ... international standard serial numbers. But I don't know if those are used on EYB. And I think each magazine gets an ISSN--not each issue of the magazine--so they probably wouldn't be all that helpful anyway.

#8 Posted : Monday, May 25, 2020 12:35:47 PM(UTC)

whitewoods, you're exactly right -- EYB doesn't track magazines by ISSN because that number only applies to the serial/publication, not to each individual issue. The best way to find all issues of a magazine EYB indexes on a regular basis is via the Browse/Magazines sidebar, in which you'll see Dill listed.

#6 Posted : Wednesday, May 27, 2020 6:40:15 AM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: mjes Go to Quoted Post

thanks mjes! I also like to look at other peoples shelves for inspiration. Can you give me your opinion on Beyond the North Wind? (compared to Salt and Time)

#10 Posted : Wednesday, May 27, 2020 11:44:08 AM(UTC)

I would appreciate a comparison between Salt & Time and Beyond the North Wind. Salt & Time is on my wishlist.

I already have "Beyond the North Wind", so I can review it for you. The author has written several Russian cookbooks, and travelled extensively to Russia many times since the 1970s. This book focuses on her recent visiits to the Russian far North above the Arctic Circle: Murmansk (on the Barents Sea), the Solovetsky Islands (on the White Sea), and Kimzha (five hours from Arkangel'sk, or Archangel). "...in this book I'm seeking the flavors and techniques that have characterized Russian cooking from the start. I'm digging deep into the old wasy to showcase food rooted in the countryside, particularly in the remote regions where the extremes of climate have inspired an inventive, resilient, and earthy cuisine" (page 24). She does not include recipes from the non-Russian countries that were part of the Soviet Union (and thus influenced contemporary Russian cuisine), nor the French-influenced recipes eaten by the 19th century Russian nobility.

The chapter titles are 1) Drinks, Preserves, and Sauces; 2) Ferments; 3) Pies, pancakes, and dumplings; 4) Soups; 5) Salads and vegetables; 6) Grains; 7) Fish; 8) Meat; and 9) Sweets. Most of the recipes contain ingredients I can find at local grocery stores (near Denver, Colorado, USA). Some ingredients she uses often that are new to me include sea buckthorn (a type of berry), buckwheat flour, and buckwheat groats. She also uses honey extensively as a sweetener.

The author has a Ph.D. in Russian literature, and she includes several essays on classic Russian literature & history as it relates to food and cooking. I have greater understanding of Russian culture now. -- and I more fully understand the collection of short stories that I am currently reading by Aleksandr Solzenhitsyn, since I know what a Russian stove & a samovar are, and how they function.

#11 Posted : Wednesday, May 27, 2020 12:53:04 PM(UTC)

thanks lkgrover! 

Salt and Time is written by a Russian author, but she resides in London for the last decades where she host a Russian supperclub. The book is focused on Siberia, but the author states that she offers her own austhetic take on Russian food both from pre-revolutionary and Soviet days but with a contemporary touch.

Chapters include 1. starters, sides & salads, 2. soups, 3. main dishes, 4. pickles & ferments, 5. desserts, 6 drinks. Also here sea bucktorn, buckwheat and sour cream. There are also some Soviet-Korean dishes (pickles), and Asian influenced dishes (Lagman). 

All recipes are preceded by a short introduction about the dish. There are no essays in the book. 

I would have loved some more information on history and culture in the book, but that's a personal view (that's why I was interested in Beyond the North Wind). I haven't tried the recipes yet but many look delicious, also for dinner parties.

It would be great if someone who owns both book would give their opinion about both books.

#12 Posted : Thursday, May 28, 2020 4:39:44 AM(UTC)

I own both books. I would say that "Salt and Time" is the better cookbook if you must chose between them. However, "Beyond the North Wind" actually interests me more. Allow me to explain, my Grandmother's family was from Northern Finland - in a primarily Sami area. My step grandfather was Finnish/Sami from the same area but raised in a trading post on the Arctic Ocean ... It was technically in Norway but his siblings who moved South were treated as Norwegian, Swedish, or Finnish with no immigration i.e. they were Sami (Laplanders is the old term) "Beyond the North Wind" is more thoroughly Arctic in its cuisine while "Salt and Time" is more thoroughly Siberian i.e. you notice Mongolian influences ... which is also a good thing but different. What makes it even more interesting to compare them, is that Finnish and Sami people are not Scandinavian or Slavic. Rather their language (like Hungarian) is related to Mongolian ... think of leftover Mongol hordes as my Grandmother would joke. This makes it fun to compare the recipes ... are their similarities the result of environment or of Mongolian influence?

In terms of the nuts and bolts, they are both accurate - no major problems with typos messing recipes up. They both choose recipes that you can actually make i.e. find the ingredients or a reasonable substitute. Both have a broad enough selection of recipes for one to get the sense of an actual meal; neither is extensive enough to give you a sense of the diet throughout the seasons. But I think the average American cook with middle American taste will find more "recipes I want to try" in "Salt and Time" while "Beyond the North Wind" may require a bit more familarity with Nordic/Arctic cuisine to reach the same level of "hey, I have to try that".

Note that "Beyond the North Wind" incorporates Karelian recipes (part of Finland that was annexed by Russia) creating overlap with the author's "Fire + Ice" which is also worth adding to your collection.

#13 Posted : Thursday, May 28, 2020 11:51:34 AM(UTC)

Thank you, mjes! I hope to order Salt & Time in the new future. 

I enjoyed Beyond the North Wind so much that I added Goldstein's Fire & Ice to my wishlist. It is nice to have an additional recommendation. My grandparents both immigrated to the US from Sweden, so I am partial to Scandinavian cooking. 

#14 Posted : Thursday, May 28, 2020 1:56:33 PM(UTC)

thanks Mjes! this sounds really interesting. Also curious about the other Darra Goldstein books (I did purchase an issue of cured magazine though, which she edited but was discontinued). It's great to receive recommendations and opinions from other EYB members!