Forum

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
What do you mean by "brown sauce"?   Go to last post Go to last unread
#21 Posted : Wednesday, May 5, 2021 1:29:15 PM(UTC)

Hi, I’m very late to this post but when I heard “brown sauce” I thought it was referring to one of the French Mother Sauces. For what it’s worth, I Googled it and got this: Espagnole sauce is a basic brown sauce, and is one of Auguste Escoffier's five mother sauces of classic French cooking. Escoffier popularized the recipe, and his version is still followed today. Espagnole has a strong taste, and is rarely used directly on food. and this: Espagnole is a classic brown sauce, typically made from brown stock, mirepoix, and tomatoes, and thickened with roux.

#22 Posted : Friday, May 7, 2021 12:12:41 PM(UTC)

If the recipe writer is British then she's almost certainly referring to HP sauce or a similar knock off like Daddies or OK. The initials are for Houses of Parliament and it's dark and a bit sweet but not like ketchup, with vinegar, dates, molasses, and tamarind. And no doubt a lot of sugar. I would imagine the recipe requires just a tablespoon or so to give the finished dish a bit of body or umami, much like anchovies will to a sauce.
For many, a 'full english' breakfast is incomplete without it. For me it's essential on a bacon buttie. Please don't threaten me with ketchup.

2 Pages<12