Forum

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
What has happened to Fine Cooking?   Go to last post Go to last unread
#1 Posted : Wednesday, September 30, 2020 6:10:29 PM(UTC)

Is Fine Cooking gone? I tried to find a recipe on their websie, and it's now redirecting to Food & Wine. The only info I've been able to find online is this press release that indicates it has been sold to Meredith Corporation. I will be so disappointed if Fine Cooking isn't around anymore! It has been the one food magazine I have stuck with over the years, as it has always had interesting, reliable, and well-tested recipes and I always looked forward to new issues. It will be tragic is all their online content is gone, too. 

Does anyone know more? 

#2 Posted : Wednesday, September 30, 2020 6:51:58 PM(UTC)

We are also trying to find out! We have more than 3,500 online Fine Cooking recipes that went to the Fine Cooking site that are now not working. We have been told that the plan is for the recipes to be relocated on another Meredith site - we will communicate more when we hear further. We don't have any information on whether Fine Cooking as a magazine will continue publishing.

#3 Posted : Thursday, October 1, 2020 2:01:53 AM(UTC)

I received my latest issue of Fine Cooking and thought it looked different and sure enough, not published by Taunton Press any longer, it's slightly smaller and not as glossy.  The content of the magazine, appears to be the same and is edited by Kathy Kingsley who has been there for years.  I read the fine print at the back saying there will only be five issues a year now so I doubt I will continue to subscribe, which is sad as I've been receiving it for the last 10 years.  

#4 Posted : Thursday, October 1, 2020 7:42:50 AM(UTC)

Interesting......I cancelled my subscription a while ago and yet I just received an issue in the mail (Aug / Sept 2020 - cover recipe = filet mignon with fresh blueberry sauce).   I have been wondering WHY I got it...maybe a promotion to spark interest again?  Any other cancelled subscribers get one?  I just read that fine print on the last page telling me I could "opt out of this service anytime"...hmmmm - I certainly don't remember opting back in.

#5 Posted : Thursday, October 1, 2020 9:44:55 AM(UTC)

It has been five times a year.  I think Saveur is also 4-5 times a year too.  This may become a norm unfortunately. I hope they get their online recipes working soon.  I rather cook from my ipad since I can zoom in for less eye strain when cooking.  

#6 Posted : Thursday, October 1, 2020 5:34:13 PM(UTC)

A note to any member who finds a broken Online Recipe link that goes to the Food & Wine website - you don't need to let us know the link is broken. We will be correcting all former Fine Cooking links when Meredith lets us know their new URLs.

#7 Posted : Thursday, October 1, 2020 7:22:14 PM(UTC)

I received an email from them today.  Taunton sold  Fine Cooking to Meredith.  When they did, the customer Fine Cooking website was shut down.  She did not say when or if it would be revived. 

#8 Posted : Friday, October 2, 2020 8:20:50 AM(UTC)

This news makes me incredibly sad. I have been a subscriber since 1994 and have almost every issue. No small feat as I live overseas and move every 4-5 years. I will cancel my subscription if I cannot get access to the website or it dramatically changes the editorial staff. 

#9 Posted : Friday, October 2, 2020 10:58:54 AM(UTC)

I am in a monkey puzzle re: trying to cancel my subscription (if I even have one :).  I went to the Meredith website and emailed the address given re: magazine subscriptions.  I received a reply that I think will solve my problem BUT I was also directed to the Better Homes and Gardens website to better manage my magazine account.  This seems very confusing - I am unsure how I would have known to go to BH & G re: Fine Cooking via Meredith.  We will see what happens.

#10 Posted : Friday, October 2, 2020 1:41:54 PM(UTC)

I have every issue of Fine Cooking since the beginning and I too am very upset as it is my favorite cooking magazine also.  I also wondered about my subscription and sent an email to the Fine Cooking customer service.  They let me know that my subscription is good until May of 2021.   However I got a letter that said "third notice" that my subscription was running out with no Taunton or Meredith or anything on the envelope and I thought it was bogus, perhaps someone looking for $ so be careful.  That is how I found out the status of FC at the moment 

#11 Posted : Friday, October 2, 2020 1:46:14 PM(UTC)

I am so sad and angry about this, I am a charter subscriber to Fine Cooking. Removing the website and all the recipes online is criminal!

#12 Posted : Friday, October 2, 2020 2:44:17 PM(UTC)

I very much agree.

#13 Posted : Sunday, October 4, 2020 1:50:52 AM(UTC)

A new Facebook group called the Fine Cooking Community is discussing this. Members are working together to share PDFs of issues, indexes and recipes. Word from Meredith is that the website will not be restored which seems odd. Such a waste and a tremendous inconvenience to users and subscribers. Argh.

#14 Posted : Sunday, October 4, 2020 12:21:59 PM(UTC)
I called Meredith and they offered me an alternative product - Food and Wine.
I am quite upset (the polite word cause I’m new here). I had around 100 recipes saved to my recipe box. No warning that it was all coming crashing down.
#15 Posted : Sunday, October 4, 2020 7:07:31 PM(UTC)

It is awful. This is the third magazines that went out for me.  Gourmet, Cuisine and  now Fine Cooking.  Saveur  is nothing like its former self.  Although I still am a subscriber, I have not been happy with Bon appetit or Food & Wine for some time.  

#16 Posted : Monday, October 5, 2020 1:30:54 PM(UTC)

Just wanted to let everyone who has Fine Cooking magazines or their recipes know how wonderful the Facebook Fine Cooking Community is.  They have provided me with PDFs of all the mags.  You can also access the PDFs via their facebook page.  

#17 Posted : Monday, October 5, 2020 7:38:37 PM(UTC)
I echo Rinshin’s thoughts on the Fine Cooking Facebook group. In addition to the PDFs, they also wrote a letter to Taunton Press and got a reply which has been posted.
#18 Posted : Wednesday, October 7, 2020 3:12:56 PM(UTC)

So it continues.....and understand that I really DID like Fine Cooking and have kept the issues I had received...but I have a SMALL house with limited storage - we both are making decisions to support our "problem".  Anyways...in response to a total surprise Aug/Sept 2020  issue of FC...I attempted to to find out why and cancel it....again.  Here is the actual response (after several emails from me...and please understand this...the LATEST issues I have in the house are dated 2017!!!

"According to our records, your current subscription was ordered under our automatic renewal program which helps our subscribers avoid service interruption by automatically renewing their subscription at considerable savings off the newsstand price.

Here is how the program works. Each year you receive a single renewal notice in advance of your expiration date, advising you that your subscription will continue. This notice will be followed by either an invoice or a charge to your credit card, to cover the cost of your next year's issues."

I CANCELLED it sometime in 2017 and JUST NOW received an issue.  I THINK it is now solved but it took 5 emails from me to solve this.  I am so sad about the fate of the of all of the magazines that we loved.  Just because I cancelled - didn't mean I don't value what it offered.

#19 Posted : Wednesday, October 7, 2020 8:40:40 PM(UTC)

I made what has turned out to be a terrible mistake earlier this year, as I purchased a FIVE YEAR subscription to FC. I have never received any communication from them regarding the magazine's closure, although I did get the issue described above. A couple of years ago I purchased a CD of back issues, so I do have all of the magazines from 1994 to 2017 - however, the CD only has images and is not searchable (!). EYB has indexed all of the issues from 2010 forward, so at least I have those issues at my fingertips. One fine day when I have a lot more free time, I'll volunteer to index the other sixteen years' worth of magazines. 

#20 Posted : Wednesday, October 7, 2020 8:55:22 PM(UTC)

Oddly enough, in this afternoon's mail, I got a "We want you back" subscription offer from Fine Cooking. (I'd quit subscribing a couple of years ago.) $30 for six issues. Nope. It's all very strange.

2 Pages12>