Forum

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Searching for a two word ingredient name   Go to last post Go to last unread
#1 Posted : Thursday, October 15, 2020 3:59:11 AM(UTC)

I just searched my recipes for dried apples as an ingredient and was surprised to get 67 results, it felt like a lot, and when I looked at them I had found 67 recipes that required (fresh) apples plus another dried ingredient such as dried apricots or dried cranberries. 

I tried again searching for "dried apples" with the quotation marks included but this seemed to give me the same search results  

is there any way of searching precisely for an ingredient with a name that consists of more than one word?

#2 Posted : Thursday, October 15, 2020 10:15:59 AM(UTC)

Was this on a phone? There seems to be an issue with Boolean searches and searches in speech marks not working on phones though the search works correctly on other devices. This is the "dried apples" search of the Online Recipes in the Library and dried apples appear in every recipe. I have passed this issue over to our developers.

The way to get the correct result is to apply the "Dried fruit" filter in the right column to your search. Click Ingredients / Fruit / Dried / Apples. Filters will always give a more precise search than just using the word search, which looks for instances of the word in recipe title, ingredients, book title and author name. For more information on filters check out Tutorial #4, accessed from the green Need Help? button at bottom right (not available on phones). Or this Help section.

#3 Posted : Thursday, October 15, 2020 10:30:36 AM(UTC)

I think that's the issue - I was using my iPad and I've had problems elsewhere with the quotation marks automatically adjusting to the curved, mirror image ones, a bit like (brackets) - in fact you can do the straight quotes on an iPad or iPhone, you just hold the key until the alternate character set pops up, and run your finger to the middle set of " marks.

I just tried that, and it resolved the problem :)

Thank you Jane

#4 Posted : Thursday, October 15, 2020 11:49:31 AM(UTC)

That is so super StokeySue.  Using the straight quotes on ipad works.  I had no idea this was causing problems on my search using quotes with ipad.

#5 Posted : Friday, October 16, 2020 9:13:45 AM(UTC)

EYB is the most phone-unfriendly website I've seen, with Boolean searches, with pasting text from another site or app, and with the lack of provision for a bookmarklet.

It is the ONLY site I know of that won't let me paste text, or make a link to a Web page outside the site.

My Android device is my access to the Internet, especially now when I patronize an Internet café only when I absolutely need to.

What was it with the creation of this site? Did someone assume that managing a cookbook library is something that, of course, won't interest Android users? And if so, what's the reason?

#6 Posted : Friday, October 16, 2020 11:30:03 AM(UTC)

No bitrette, the reason we haven't spent a fortune to create an app/mobile website to your satisfaction is not that we don't care about phone users or specifically Android users (we do). It is that we are a very small company, self-funded, so we cannot throw large sums at issues that are not of concern to the vast majority of our members. We have spent a lot creating the mobile site which works well in functionality that most users need - searching for recipes in their cookbooks.

The reason we do not allow links off the site is because of spammers. Where there is an ability to easily insert links they exploit it. We used to allow bloggers to add a link to their blogs in their Profile page. When spammers discovered this we literally had hundreds of spam links appearing to stuff no-one wants to link to. So that was removed. The only place spam links still get added is here on the Forum and we remove those posts and delete the member as soon as we see them (thanks to members who alert us to those).

I'm not sure why you have an issue copying and pasting into EYB. Though I have an iPhone so maybe there is something specific to Android phones that other members may weigh in on.

Finally, the bookmarklet is available on phones including Android phones. They don't make it easy to do so (not something we have any control over)- but you can read how here. I will add those instructions to our Help page.

#7 Posted : Friday, October 16, 2020 6:32:09 PM(UTC)

I have an Android and never have any issues using the mobile site - and no issues at all copying, editing and pasting. You have to hold your finger over a link and then click the clipboard icon - at least that is how it works for me. I do some work from the Android and while it isn't as speedy as on my laptop - I can get it done. 

#9 Posted : Saturday, October 17, 2020 8:21:52 AM(UTC)

I'm on the latest version of Android (Galaxy S20+) and the last time I tried to copy + paste text it said it wasn't supported.

#10 Posted : Sunday, October 18, 2020 9:10:26 AM(UTC)

I have the Galaxy S10. Can't copy and paste, can't link any page except an EYB page. The FAQ about phones are about Apple devices ONLY. The Play Store for Galaxy S10 has no EYB app, nor is there a link to an Android app on the EYB site itself.

Jane, what is the reason for this? Is there something about Android ownership that is inconsistent with having a cookbook collection?

#11 Posted : Sunday, October 18, 2020 10:53:34 AM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: bittrette Go to Quoted Post
I have the Galaxy S10. Can't copy and paste, can't link any page except an EYB page. The FAQ about phones are about Apple devices ONLY. The Play Store for Galaxy S10 has no EYB app, nor is there a link to an Android app on the EYB site itself.

Jane, what is the reason for this? Is there something about Android ownership that is inconsistent with having a cookbook collection?

As Jane said a day or two ago there isn't an EYB app, so that's why you can't see anything in the Play Store. In the EYB help section there is a separate page for creating a shortcut to EYB for Android phones, so it's not all about Apple phones: https://support.eatyourb...our-Android-device   Various people have perhaps referred to this icon as an app in previous forum posts but this is misleading.

I can't help with copying and pasting on Android as I have an iPhone, but other Android users indicate they don't have any issues with copying and pasting (see Jenny's comment) so it may be something in your phone settings that you need to change.

#12 Posted : Sunday, October 18, 2020 1:11:49 PM(UTC)

bitrette - as FJT says, you seem to have a misunderstanding that EYB is an app. It isn't - it is a website with a mobile website feature. There is no EYB app on the Apple store either.

When you say you "can't link any page except an EYB page" I explained why we don't allow links off the site. What type of links are you trying to add?

Regarding the copy and paste issue you are having, there is lots of support online for Android users who experience this issue such as this page.

You are trying to make up some anti-Android attitude that does not exist.

#8 Posted : Friday, October 23, 2020 12:07:20 PM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: Jenny Go to Quoted Post
I have an Android and never have any issues using the mobile site - and no issues at all copying, editing and pasting. You have to hold your finger over a link and then click the clipboard icon - at least that is how it works for me. I do some work from the Android and while it isn't as speedy as on my laptop - I can get it done.

Agreed. The website on my Android works just fine. I've never had any issue copy or pasting. I added it to my homescreen so it shows up like an app. Its just a link that takes me stright to the website, but that's more convenient than searching for it everytime. On my phone, you just tap the three dots to the right of the website name and select 'add to home screen'. Super easy.