Forum

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
#1 Posted : Tuesday, October 23, 2012 4:15:44 PM(UTC)
Is it possible to import books with ISBN with only 10 numbers? Is there a way to put books into your bookshelf when it comes up "not in EYB library".
#2 Posted : Tuesday, October 23, 2012 10:24:36 PM(UTC)

Yes, you can use 10-digit ISBN numbers to import books.  However, if the book is not in the EYB library you'll still get that message.  I don't think EYB has added a feature yet for adding books that aren't in the library or don't have ISBN numbers at all!  Some older books only have 10-digit ISBN numbers so they may not have been added to the library yet.  

#3 Posted : Tuesday, October 23, 2012 11:23:09 PM(UTC)

When you import an ISBN and you get the message "ISBN is not in the Eat Your Books Library" that means that we will add it if we can find the data. And when it gets added it will automatically go onto your Bookshelf if you requested that it gets added to the Library.  We do plan to add a feature in the future that will allow members to add books without ISBN numbers.  And also to add books that we cannot find data for - so members would add the data themselves - title, author, publisher, format, date of publication, etc.

#6 Posted : Wednesday, May 15, 2013 8:41:11 PM(UTC)
Any updates on this planned change? Am asking because I picked up a book in South Africa that I would like to index, but it comes up as not in the EYB library....(it does have an ISBN). Thanks!
#7 Posted : Wednesday, May 15, 2013 9:30:40 PM(UTC)

If you ever want to index a book that cannot be imported because it doesn't have an ISBN, email us at info@eatyourbooks.com with the book details and we will add it for you.  The details we need are title & subtitle, author, publisher, date of publication, format, and # of pages.  If you can scan or take a photo of the cover that would also be helpful (you don't need to worry about size or cropping - we can do that for you). We will then add the data manually and let you know you can request to index it.

We can only do this for books or magazines that are going to be indexed as it takes quite a while and we don't have the resources to add books just so they are in the Library.

We do still intend to add the feature that allows members to add books themselves but we have quite a lot on our development list right now so I cannot give you a date.

#8 Posted : Thursday, May 16, 2013 3:41:09 PM(UTC)

Sounds like a plan.  Thanks Jane!

#4 Posted : Saturday, November 11, 2017 8:31:11 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: Jane Go to Quoted Post
<p>When you import an ISBN and you get the message "ISBN is not in the Eat Your Books Library" that means that we will add it if we can find the data. And when it gets added it will automatically go onto your Bookshelf if you requested that it gets added to the Library. &nbsp;We do plan to add a feature in the future that will allow members to add books without ISBN numbers. &nbsp;And also to add books that we cannot find data for - so members would add the data themselves - title, author, publisher, format, date of publication, etc.</p>

Five years have elapsed since you talked about adding this feature. Is there any news when it might be implemented. It would be particularly useful for Australian members as so many of the cook books on sale now we cannot import because apparently Amazon does not cover them.
#5 Posted : Saturday, November 11, 2017 8:51:24 PM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: Cati Go to Quoted Post
. . . It would be particularly useful for Australian members as so many of the cook books on sale now we cannot import because apparently Amazon does not cover them.

It would also be helpful for those of us who have English language cookbooks published in Finland as Amazon rarely has them.

#9 Posted : Sunday, November 12, 2017 12:57:04 PM(UTC)

Our development to-do list is ridiculously long which is why it takes so long for things we would like to add to get done. We have a big project we are working on right now but once that is done we would like to get some of the smaller site enhancements (such as member added books) completed.

#10 Posted : Friday, November 17, 2017 12:26:05 PM(UTC)
Is there any online super-bookstore for Australia that parallels Amazon US and UK? In Canadathere is - how about New Zealand?

From what I gather, the monopolistic takeover by huge online stores is less advanced in Australia than in the US. A few years ago the ABC asked whether the B&M record store was dying. My unspoken thought was that in the US you don't have to ask that question - the answer is yes.
#11 Posted : Friday, November 17, 2017 3:56:58 PM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: bittrette Go to Quoted Post
Is there any online super-bookstore for Australia that parallels Amazon US and UK? In Canadathere is - how about New Zealand? From what I gather, the monopolistic takeover by huge online stores is less advanced in Australia than in the US. A few years ago the ABC asked whether the B&M record store was dying. My unspoken thought was that in the US you don't have to ask that question - the answer is yes.

The answer is no - we don't have a large enough population (only 25 million of us). But AMazon and Book Depository are doing a roaring trade with aussies!

#14 Posted : Tuesday, November 28, 2017 2:54:34 PM(UTC)
What I find strange, Jane, is that of the books I recently requested imports of, only a few have been added to the Library, and one of them has no ISBN, only an Amazon page. And I didn't even promise to index it - I wish I could index it, but no full-size computer = no bookmarklet = no indexing.
#15 Posted : Tuesday, November 28, 2017 3:01:06 PM(UTC)
"Yes, you can use 10-digit ISBN numbers to import books."

As a recently retired librarian, I can say that for the time being, 13-digit and 10-digit ISBNs are equally "good." Books with 13-digit ISBNs also have 10-digit ISBNs.
#16 Posted : Wednesday, November 29, 2017 12:05:20 AM(UTC)

bittrette - I can only see one request from you recently and that was added to the Library and your Bookshelf - Great Bowls of Soup. We have 4 outstanding requests from you (3 from 2015 and 1 from June this year) that cannot be imported as the ISBN numbers do not relate to a book on Amazon. Or have I misunderstood your comment?

#17 Posted : Wednesday, November 29, 2017 12:27:21 AM(UTC)
I was thinking of The Flavor Makers Cookbook from Crisco Oil. Maybe we have different definitions of "recent."
#18 Posted : Wednesday, November 29, 2017 1:02:26 PM(UTC)

The Flavor Makers Cookbook from Crisco Oil was added to the Library (and your Bookshelf) on October 16th. I'm not sure what your question is. If you are asking why the book has been added when it does not have an ISBN number, I do occasionally, if I get a spare moment, try to clear books from the outstanding requests list (especially late at night when I am brain-dead for anything more demanding!). These can be books with incorrect ISBN numbers (as yours was) or that do not have a food or drink tag on Amazon.

#19 Posted : Friday, December 1, 2017 9:13:30 PM(UTC)
I was pointing out that it's not strictly true that ISBN-less books don't get imported - they sometimes get added to the Library before books with ISBNs do.
#12 Posted : Wednesday, January 24, 2018 9:38:19 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: bittrette Go to Quoted Post
Is there any online super-bookstore for Australia that parallels Amazon US and UK? In Canadathere is - how about New Zealand?

From what I gather, the monopolistic takeover by huge online stores is less advanced in Australia than in the US. A few years ago the ABC asked whether the B&M record store was dying. My unspoken thought was that in the US you don't have to ask that question - the answer is yes.

Best online site for cookbooks in Australia is Booktopia. Well designed site. Very prompt delivery and the delivery is tracked, so you know exactly what day it is coming.
#13 Posted : Saturday, January 27, 2018 12:49:52 AM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: Cati Go to Quoted Post
Best online site for cookbooks in Australia is Booktopia. Well designed site. Very prompt delivery and the delivery is tracked, so you know exactly what day it is coming.

The problem I find, if you are in the US, is that the postage from Australia is insanely high.  I just looked at a cookbook on Booktopia that was about 38 $AUS, and the postage also was 38 $AUS.  (For all I know, the postage from the US to 'Stralia is just as high.) 

Best solution I've found is to look on British book sites, including Amazon UK, because the postage is so much cheaper from there.  Also, try using the site (Australian or UK) to get an ISBN, then check on Amazon US for marketplace sellers who might have it and will ship for the standard $3.99.

#20 Posted : Saturday, January 27, 2018 7:21:54 AM(UTC)
International shipping (or any form of postage even within Australia) is crazy-expensive. It’s still ugly, but Readings has a flat rate of $22 AUD to North America/Europe.
2 Pages12>