Forum

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Magazine Recipe Nostalgia   Go to last post Go to last unread
#22 Posted : Saturday, October 9, 2021 9:53:41 PM(UTC)

McCall's was one of the magazines my mother bought when I was a child.

Alas, because McCall's is defunct, most of its recipes are hard to find online or in print. But I prepared a recipe from a library copy of the magazine, before McCall's ceased publication, and it's a favorite of the folks at church.

#21 Posted : Sunday, October 10, 2021 10:15:02 AM(UTC)

anniette;24724 wrote:
Rinshin, as a fellow military brat, I especially identified with your recollections.

think all of the moving between continents and cultures helped us to recognize, appreciate, and tune-in to differences in foods and flavors. At three years old, I knew "bread" meant cornbread at my Arkansas grandmother's, a huge thin slice of buttered Mother's Pride, or Hovis cut into fingers at my British Nana's, and a crusty baguette at home in the French village where my own family was stationed with the USAF.

I am intrigued by your story of the ground beef tacos you learned. Would you be willing to share that recipe, please?

Thank you!

hello fellow brat.  We sure were well-travelled bunch.  I found one recipe online very similar to the one she taught me.  This was in time where it was hard to find herbs, vegetables, and spices.  Her recipe is much heavier on oregano, uses whole 14 oz can tomato sauce, and few good dashes of Worcestersher sauce (now I know she was trying  to boost the umami) with one lb ground beef with all the same ingredients in this recipe  and usually cooked down to the consistency of sloppy joe mixture.  The chicken stock was that ready to  use chicken bouillon cubes that she added small amount of water. 

The corn tortillas were fried crisp flat like tostada (maybe she was trying to make it easier for me as a teen.). Then mixture was spooned on crisp tortillas with shredded lettuce, chopped tomatoes, sliced onions, cheese, salsa fresca and sour cream.

My only "Mexican" food encounter until then was occasional taco bells outside the base gate in the US. It is super easy recipe to make and I don't measure for this.  

here is one very close to it:https://carnaldish.com/r...made-tex-mex-beef-tacos/

#23 Posted : Sunday, October 10, 2021 10:48:50 AM(UTC)

bittrette;24725 wrote:
McCall's was one of the magazines my mother bought when I was a child.

Alas, because McCall's is defunct, most of its recipes are hard to find online or in print. But I prepared a recipe from a library copy of the magazine, before McCall's ceased publication, and it's a favorite of the folks at church.

If you can locate McCalls white plastic bound book with separated tabs per section, I highly recommend it.  It has step by step instructions ie a precursor to Cooks Illustrated. And their cards they used to publish is treasure trove of unusual recipes. 

#24 Posted : Sunday, October 10, 2021 11:55:55 AM(UTC)

Thank you, Rinshin!

I like the nostalgia factor of this recipe. Will be making and enjoying!

And thank you also for the sweet nostalgia factor of your stories about your neighbors and moves and the changes and diverse cultures we were exposed to, within the cohesive structure of military family life.

There is one McCall's Cooking School book listed on EYB, unindexed. Looks like a book. I have 3 volumes of the white plastic binders.

I first bought McCall's Cooking School as special issue magazines at a newstand in the mid-seventies. Can't recall how or when they switched to binders, but I cut apart my booklets and incorporated the recipes into the binders decades ago. Most were already in there, but some were not. They are all reliable versions of culinary classics.

#25 Posted : Sunday, October 10, 2021 4:43:06 PM(UTC)

Yes, my white plastic book is a binder format.  I did not realize there were more than one.  Maybe because where I am located now, but I also love older Sunset publications on various  food topics.  My office was next to the now sold and developed Sunset headquarters ground in Menlo Park with their beautiful and peaceful garden full of flowers, unusual trees and plants, test garden, buildings, and kitchen.  We enjoyed our walks during our lunch time and often we would get a whiff of  incredible food the kitchen staff were testing or creating. 

2 Pages<12