Forum

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Substituting with Verjus & substitute for cognac   Go to last post Go to last unread
#1 Posted : Saturday, April 3, 2021 11:57:00 PM(UTC)
I finally have verjus on order to use as a substitute to wine in cooking since I don’t cook with alcohol. I’d like to make a recipe that uses wine in the sauce. Do I substitute with a 1:1 ratio? Or should I use less like I would with vinegar.

Also, does anyone have an alcohol free suggestion to replace cognac in a sauce with milk and mushrooms?
#2 Posted : Sunday, April 4, 2021 12:26:56 AM(UTC)

According to The spruce East.. peach pear or apricot juice are good subs for cognac! And as to verjus .. its sweeter than vinegar so I'd go 1:1..

#3 Posted : Sunday, April 4, 2021 12:34:04 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: debkellie Go to Quoted Post
<p>According to <a href="https://www.thespruceeats.com/alcohol-substitutes-1388864">The spruce East.. peach pear or apricot juice</a> are good subs for cognac! And as to verjus .. its sweeter than vinegar so I'd go 1:1..</p>

Can you add fruit juice to milk in a white sauce though? Wouldn’t it make the milk curdle?
#4 Posted : Sunday, April 4, 2021 1:48:20 AM(UTC)

If added once the  sauce is made there ought not be any issue... assuming a roux based sauce..?

#5 Posted : Sunday, April 4, 2021 8:23:29 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: debkellie Go to Quoted Post
<p>If added once the&nbsp; sauce is made there ought not be any issue... assuming a roux based sauce..?</p>

Yes, it’s roux base. I don’t know what cognac tastes like, but fruit juice in it sounds terrible. I should probably test it out before making for guests.
#6 Posted : Sunday, April 4, 2021 8:32:01 AM(UTC)

Another site, Gourmet Sleuth suggests 1/2 t brandy extract (stating it is alcohol free) per 1-2 T cognac.

#7 Posted : Sunday, April 4, 2021 8:51:49 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: Barb_N Go to Quoted Post
<p>Another site, Gourmet Sleuth suggests 1/2 t brandy extract (stating it is alcohol free) per 1-2 T cognac.</p>

I’ll check the grocery store to see if they have an alcohol free brandy extract. I personally don’t have a problem with using extracts even with alcohol, but I’m not sure how my guests feel about it.