Forum

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Option for a list of books I might want to buy?   Go to last post Go to last unread
#1 Posted : Friday, July 30, 2021 8:37:05 AM(UTC)

I really enjoy reading the various cookbook roundups and such.  I'd like to be able to save a list of cookbooks I'm interested in. Is there a way to do that? Thank you

#2 Posted : Friday, July 30, 2021 9:54:58 AM(UTC)

The only way I found to do this was to add the books to the library and add bookmarks to differentiate which ones you actually own and which ones are your wishlist... It is a bit cumbersome because then you need to add the "I own" bookmark to the search you make.

BUT, it has the added benefit of being able to search through the books on your wishlist before you buy them, which is actually nice! 

Maybe someone from EYB or another member has a better idea though

#3 Posted : Friday, July 30, 2021 10:41:34 AM(UTC)

We do have a wishlist function on our (very long) development to-do list.

#4 Posted : Friday, July 30, 2021 4:56:02 PM(UTC)

My work around has been to create a cookbook wish list on amazon.  If I find something I want, I add it to that wish list. 

Zephy

#5 Posted : Saturday, July 31, 2021 3:51:59 AM(UTC)

I do the same with Amazon as well but buy from a shop..... beware though the shop prices are noticeably more expensive.

#6 Posted : Saturday, July 31, 2021 9:54:40 AM(UTC)

Thanks for the suggestions, folks! I usually stay away from Amazon too, but I could certainly keep a list there.  I am going to try Agaillard's suggestion too.

Im looking forward to this as a feature, and also pleased with the site as is :)

#7 Posted : Sunday, August 1, 2021 3:34:28 AM(UTC)

You could also consider using LibraryThing, which has the option of ordering your books in collections as well as using tags. And it is free; it already was for accounts with less than 200 books but last year they removed that constraint.

#8 Posted : Sunday, August 1, 2021 4:55:55 PM(UTC)

I just create a bookmark called "want to buy", add book & tag and then every so often do a search on that tag when the book sales / swap shops/ buy & sell markets come along... in the words of the meerkats "seemples". And don't forget EYB do get commission from Amazon on everything you may buy after logging in to Amazon via the 'buy book" link...which is great to help the development of the long wish list.. so log in that way even when not looking to buy a book!!

#9 Posted : Friday, August 6, 2021 8:44:50 AM(UTC)

I do the exact same thing as Zephyrness does - Amazon lets you have multiple wish lists.

When I actually buy one of the books, I buy it from another bookseller, unless I really want it and it's available only from Amazon.

#10 Posted : Wednesday, August 25, 2021 9:11:36 AM(UTC)
#11 Posted : Wednesday, August 25, 2021 12:05:22 PM(UTC)

Funny - I just looked up a potential purchase this am to see member comments and saw the wishlist button - and of course wondered where that came from and had I been missing it???  This is a great new feature - thank you !

#12 Posted : Wednesday, August 25, 2021 3:44:24 PM(UTC)

Yay Jane, thank you!

Zephy

#13 Posted : Friday, August 27, 2021 8:18:12 PM(UTC)

Hallelujah!

#14 Posted : Sunday, August 29, 2021 12:31:29 PM(UTC)

I tell you what I'd find even better than a wishlist....a function which looks at your library and tells you what's new that you might like based on what you already have?

#15 Posted : Sunday, August 29, 2021 5:00:25 PM(UTC)

rumble - what you are asking for would require a fairly sophisticated algorithm and we don't have the resources of Amazon to create that. Maybe one day!

One suggestion is to look at other members' Bookshelves - you can link to their Profile page from their username on any Bookshelves list or any comment they add to the Blog or Forum. On their Profile page you can click Books in Common and see what you both own. If they look like your favorite kind of books, then unckeck the Books In Common box and look at what they own that you don't. The books you don't own have a blue +Bookshelf button. You can sort their Bookshelf by Date Published (the sort is on the right of the green search bar) if you just want to see new books.

I would warn you that some members (the ones with really high numbers of books on their Bookshelves) seem to add almost everything indexed to their Bookshelves, which I don't quite understand the reason for. Though I did query it with one member and she adds Publisher bookmarks to every indexed book (which means they have to be on her Bookshelf) so she can filter the EYB Library by publisher. Now that is dedication!