Forum

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Daily cooking inspiration...   Go to last post Go to last unread
#1 Posted : Monday, December 9, 2013 1:12:55 AM(UTC)

Doctors waiting rooms can be inspiring ... I was reading a copy of a magazine I'd not previously seen called Mindfood.. and they have a cute idea: a daily recipe subscription service.. subscribe and they email you "Today's recipe" and I wondered if there may be some on EYB who might think that EYB doing a similar sort of thing might be a fun way of experimenting with new dishes. If it was based on those recipes within the "on-line library"  any of us could give it a go and maybe comment on what the results were etc etc..  Maybe daily would be too much of an impost on Jane/Christine/Deborah's already maxxed out resources, so perhaps weekly? And given the international reach maybe there'd need to be two recipes for Northern and Southern hemispheres to account for seasonality (although with multi-national grocery stores that's not such an issue except for those concerned about food miles and sustainability!.) Thoughts any one? If you want to try the MindFood service it's accessible at www.mindfood.com

#2 Posted : Tuesday, December 10, 2013 7:34:09 PM(UTC)

I like the idea of a weekly (more or less) recipe challenge. While I think Jane, Deborah and Christine are too overloaded to do this, EYB members could step up to propose recipes. A rich source of on line recipes is the blog postings. I bet they inspire a number of members to try the linked recipes. For instance, I was inspired to try the Satsuma cake recipe from the blog of Dec. 5. It's in the oven right now---smelling good. I'll post on how it comes out. Perhaps we could have a thread here on blog recipe testing. 

#3 Posted : Tuesday, December 10, 2013 8:52:41 PM(UTC)

It's not exactly what you are suggesting, but if you follow EYB on Facebook or Twitter, we do post recipes daily on both those sites -- lately a lot of them have been sample recipes from cookbooks since there are so many new ones at this time of year, but we also post interesting ones from indexed magazines, blogs, and online recipes indexed by members. Maybe you could draw inspiration from those, choosing a recipe or two throughout the week and posting about it here on this thread if you'd like? I think it would be interesting to hear how some of those turn out!

#4 Posted : Tuesday, December 10, 2013 9:57:50 PM(UTC)

Have to admit that Facebook & I are not intertwined (unlike some I know!); and , whilst I have a Twitter account, don't use it either.. yes, a social networking luddite. IF there is already a post on Facebook and in the twittersphere, couldn't that be added to teh home page as well?

#5 Posted : Wednesday, December 11, 2013 1:08:19 AM(UTC)

Everything we post on Facebook gets posted on Twitter as well and the 4 most recent tweets are always on the EYB homepage (next to the recent notes). Depending on when you look though, we do tweet/retweet other relevant items that don't link to EYB -- for example this time of year there are a lot of "Best of 2013" lists for cookbooks, so those get mixed in as well. If you think you might have missed something on the EYB homepage, you could check over on EYB's twitter page, even if you don't really use the site itself -- if you scan for the EYB logo, those are our original tweets which include all our recipe posts (though of course there are other posts and interactions as well). The blog posts you see highlighted on the EYB homepage are a completely separate entity and not really the best forum for sharing recipes as I (try!) to do this a few times throughout the day and they are usually only accompanied by a line or two of text -- unlike a blog post from Lindsay or Susie which is essentially a full article/essay.

#6 Posted : Wednesday, December 11, 2013 2:09:05 AM(UTC)
Don't forget the topic started by Foodelf which encouraged people to try a new recipe from their cookbooks once a week and comment on the results. Haven't seen anything on it for 3 months.
It was called Cooking from Your Books.
#7 Posted : Thursday, January 9, 2014 3:42:58 PM(UTC)

Taking suggestions into account and also wanting our recipe posts to reach more people than just those who follow EYB on Facebook or Twitter, we've started a weekly round-up post of recently featured cookbooks and recipes on the EYB blog. To see each week's post (and all the others) you can subscribe to the blog via email or an RSS feed reader or simply by checking the EYB homepage where the 7 most recent posts are featured.

We hope this will be a source of cooking inspiration and if anyone tries any of the recipes, it would be great to get feedback here on the forum and/or through member notes. Each new post will be published on Thursday or Friday which would hopefully be in time for creating weekend shopping lists. So without further ado, the very first Featured Cookbooks & Recipes post.