Forum

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Cucumber use - except raw?   Go to last post Go to last unread
#1 Posted : Thursday, January 13, 2022 3:27:08 PM(UTC)

Hi There 

I am the proud owner of a 1kg pack of cucumbers saved from the supermarket... Only after Covid my system refuses to digest them raw (tried with one)? Any ideas? I think in some Asian dishes they are cooked - i have a recipe i tried once but that is all?

Thanks!

Agnes

#2 Posted : Thursday, January 13, 2022 5:57:54 PM(UTC)

Guess you tried doing a search through the online recipes in the library or your own bookshelf...? But Huff Post  has some ideas! (Click hyperlink) Happy cucumber cooking!

#4 Posted : Thursday, January 13, 2022 6:09:53 PM(UTC)

Not a cooking suggestion, but peeling and seeding cucumbers will take care of a lot of the digestion problems. Seeding is very easily done - cut in half lengthwise, then scrape the seeds out by running a spoon down the cut side. This eliminates the bitterness and most of the stomach gas. Cut cucumber also keeps longer with the seeds removed (trick I learned from woriking in a pizza parlor with a salad bar).

#3 Posted : Friday, January 14, 2022 6:51:13 AM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: debkellie Go to Quoted Post
Guess you tried doing a search through the online recipes in the library or your own bookshelf...? But Huff Post  has some ideas! (Click hyperlink) Happy cucumber cooking!

Great link! Thank you :) I may actually try the Julia Child one today!

#5 Posted : Friday, January 14, 2022 6:55:05 AM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: Fyretigger Go to Quoted Post
Not a cooking suggestion, but peeling and seeding cucumbers will take care of a lot of the digestion problems. Seeding is very easily done - cut in half lengthwise, then scrape the seeds out by running a spoon down the cut side. This eliminates the bitterness and most of the stomach gas. Cut cucumber also keeps longer with the seeds removed (trick I learned from woriking in a pizza parlor with a salad bar).

I may try but I am a little scared :) Yesterday when I tried a classic cucumber salad I had quite bad stomach cramps - It does that with almost any raw vegetable (but not salad, anything like cucumber, tomato, peppers, onions). I never had any problems but I think the virus has thrown my stomach balance a bit and it takes some time to resolve, but it will eventually.

#7 Posted : Friday, January 14, 2022 9:04:51 AM(UTC)

Doing a search for recipes with "cucumbers NOT salad" I was surprised how many things came up in my own collection - as well as stir fries (I enjoyed this Ken Hom one with pork), there are recipes for them sauteed or steamed, and lots of soups. Searching for "cucumber cream" brings up lots of things.

I also found a Jane Grigson recipe for a "cucumber ragout", a Madhur Jaffrey curry with prawns (looks like a substitute for a summer squash) and a New York Times vegetable risotto that used the juice of many cucumbers.

#9 Posted : Friday, January 14, 2022 10:28:04 AM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: RogerP Go to Quoted Post
Doing a search for recipes with "cucumbers NOT salad" I was surprised how many things came up in my own collection - as well as stir fries (I enjoyed this Ken Hom one with pork), there are recipes for them sauteed or steamed, and lots of soups. Searching for "cucumber cream" brings up lots of things.

Really good idea using cucumbers in soups.  Maybe sub cucumbers for winter melon to make  Chinese winter melon soup.   

Or add cucumbers in any light soups such as consomme.   

#8 Posted : Friday, January 14, 2022 11:24:31 AM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: RogerP Go to Quoted Post

I also found a Jane Grigson recipe for a "cucumber ragout", a Madhur Jaffrey curry with prawns (looks like a substitute for a summer squash) and a New York Times vegetable risotto that used the juice of many cucumbers.

So intriguing! Great I might try the curry / stir fry / ragoût :)

For the soup unfortunately, it is frequently raw like cucumber based gazpacho and then I will have the same problem (this is the first thing I tried when I first could see people again and my sister came over, and I couldn't eat it)

Juice might work though, but I do not have a juicer so might be a bit cumbersome

#10 Posted : Friday, January 14, 2022 3:20:55 PM(UTC)

I can't seem to find them online, but some of my soup recipes do involve cooking the cucumbers. For example, a Frances Bissell one asks you to cook a sliced onion in a little stock, then add a chopped cucumber, more stock and herbs, then cook for 10 minutes. Put in a blender, add some dairy and chill until you serve.

#11 Posted : Friday, January 14, 2022 3:21:07 PM(UTC)

For winter melon soups, the squash are very, very soft and cooked through.  For soups I prefer veg cooked quite well and not left crisp as in gazapacho. For chilled soups, I do like crispy texture in soups. Have you tried steaming cucumbers and see if that bothers your digestion?

#13 Posted : Friday, January 14, 2022 5:03:23 PM(UTC)
The book Seductions of Rice by Alford and Duguid has a dish called spicy cucumber surprise. Basically the peeled and deseeded cukes are sautéed in oil with garlic and ginger, then tossed in a soy sauce and chili paste mixture. I don’t think I’ve ever made it myself though.
#15 Posted : Saturday, January 15, 2022 2:53:26 AM(UTC)

I think steaming would work -> I think anything cooked would work actually!

I found the spicy cucumber surprise : Jeffrey Alford & Naomi Duguid's Spicy Cucumber Salad Recipe on Food52

And I also found : Cucumber and egg soup recipe | Eat Your Books

And also : Best Cucumber Jelly Recipe - How to Make Jelly with Cucumbers (food52.com) -> cucumber jelly! 

I think I don't have enough cucumbers now :) :) :)

#12 Posted : Saturday, January 15, 2022 2:55:09 AM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: Rinshin Go to Quoted Post
For winter melon soups, the squash are very, very soft and cooked through.  For soups I prefer veg cooked quite well and not left crisp as in gazapacho. For chilled soups, I do like crispy texture in soups. Have you tried steaming cucumbers and see if that bothers your digestion?

Indeed -> thank you Rinshin! I see how cucumbers could really work here!

Chinese Winter Melon Soup Recipe (thespruceeats.com)

#16 Posted : Monday, January 17, 2022 8:03:06 AM(UTC)

I am not sure if you have access to Madhur Jaffrey's books, but she has a beautiful recipe for Olan or Cucumber Cooked with Lentils.

#14 Posted : Saturday, January 22, 2022 12:03:25 AM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: eliza Go to Quoted Post
The book Seductions of Rice by Alford and Duguid has a dish called spicy cucumber surprise. Basically the peeled and deseeded cukes are sautéed in oil with garlic and ginger, then tossed in a soy sauce and chili paste mixture. I don’t think I’ve ever made it myself though.

I was going to suggest this one as well.  It's delicious.

#17 Posted : Monday, January 24, 2022 6:31:40 AM(UTC)

I had a Hong Kong Chinese flatmate  who put half moons of peeled cucumber in stir fry dishes, I sometimes do to use up a spare cucumber

I put grated or diced cucumber, squeezed dry, into hollandaise from a jar and heat gently to make a cheat sauce for salmon or trout, I add a little dill if I have any. 

#18 Posted : Thursday, January 27, 2022 2:40:04 PM(UTC)

https://cookeatshare.com...-stuffed-with-pork-74529

I tried posting this previously, so hoping I'm not posting it twice.

Years ago in the 70's I was at a little French restaurant in Seattle where I was served a baked dish of stuffed cucumber with pork.  It was so wonderful, I've never forgotten it.

The pork 'stuffing' was running out over the edges.  The pork could be called a Stuffing, however, it could have been made up with breadcrumbs, and all sorts of herbs and onions; it could even have been a salami type stuffing, so I have added a url showing some possibilities. 

My Best.

#19 Posted : Sunday, January 30, 2022 9:46:16 PM(UTC)

Chrissy Teigen's first cookbook, Cravings, has a wonderful soup recipe from her mom.  A chicken stock with cucumbers stuffed with a spiced pork mixture.  Yum.

#20 Posted : Wednesday, February 2, 2022 2:38:08 AM(UTC)

Thank you @annmartina and @Rella and everyone :) The stuffed pork recipes sound yummy and I wish I had cucumbers left now !!! Also I need to try them again raw without seeds to see if I can stomach them now! 

And then go buy some more :) I am curious about the jelly recipe as well.. 

For the moment I tried : the baked cucumber from Julia Child, the spicy cucumber surprise, and then I made gazpacho for my sister who could stomach it. I was surprised to see that actually the cucumber retains its taste while cooked, or most of it (different for example from radishes which change their taste completely, or avocado for instance).

#21 Posted : Friday, February 11, 2022 10:34:02 AM(UTC)

Can you  juice them? Cucumbers are packed with vitamins and might help your tummy re -  adjust?

Cold pressed is best.

2 Pages12>