Forum

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Converting a mini bundt recipe for a large-size bundt pan ("Cake Simple" by Christie Matheson")   Go to last post Go to last unread
#1 Posted : Thursday, May 26, 2022 8:26:31 PM(UTC)

I want to make a large-size bundt using a recipe for mini-bundts.  The recipe I want to tinker with is "Carrot minis with maple-cream cheese icing" from Cake Simple by Christie Matheson.  I plan to double the recipe and use a 12 cup bundt.  (I'll make sure not to overfill the bundt pan.)

I've taken full-size bundt recipes and made mini bundts, but never the opposite.  I'm concerned that there might not be enough leavening in the recipe for the large amount of batter and that the very extended cooking time (probably 3-4 times longer) could be problematic.  Has anyone tried this before?  Any thoughts you'd care to share?  Thanks!  

#2 Posted : Thursday, May 26, 2022 9:15:41 PM(UTC)

I have reached out to a pastry chef friend - but for now one of these articles may help:

https://www.eatyourbooks...-recipes-for-a-bundt-pan

https://food52.com/blog/...recipe-fit-your-pan-size

#3 Posted : Friday, May 27, 2022 12:06:37 AM(UTC)

Could also try watching this video from Cakes by Lynz : click here

Beware the leavening agents.. general rule of thumb is 1 to 1+¼ teaspoon baking powder (5 to 6.25 mL) for every 1 cup (125 grams or 250 mL) of all-purpose flour.

Shirley Corriher has a good little read that may assist: click here

Enjoy the math game ;-)

#4 Posted : Friday, May 27, 2022 12:49:00 PM(UTC)

My pastry friend recommends - Rose Levy Beranbaum's The Cake Bible - she states that she has a section on converting recipes and getting the leavening agents right. 

She has an article on her website re: leavening agents.

#6 Posted : Friday, May 27, 2022 4:40:57 PM(UTC)

Thank you so much everyone for your great suggestions. I really appreciate you taking the time to respond! 

#7 Posted : Saturday, May 28, 2022 6:01:40 AM(UTC)

I am hopping on here to see if any of these suggestions help me.  I have a old Williams Sonoma bundt pan but it is shaped like none I have seen before.  I love the pattern but it is a big circle with a larger than normal bundt pan hole in the middle and only a couple inches deep, so shallower than standard.  I have not really had a recipe come out in it as good as they do in a regular bundt pan.  Williams Sonoma don't sell it anymore and I don't believe there was a recipe on the packaging. The shape actually reminds me more of a Jello mold (but then I am old and grew up when Jello molds were all the rage).

#8 Posted : Saturday, May 28, 2022 8:34:59 AM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: angrygreycat Go to Quoted Post
I am hopping on here to see if any of these suggestions help me.  I have an old Williams Sonoma  bundt pan but it is shaped like none I have seen before.  I love the pattern but it is a big circle with a larger than normal bundt pan hole in the middle and only a couple inches deep, so shallower than standard.  I have not really had a recipe come out in it as good as they do in a regular bundt pan.  Williams Sonoma don't sell it anymore and I don't believe there was a recipe on the packaging. The shape actually reminds me more of a Jello mold (but then I am old and grew up when Jello molds were all the rage).

Your description also made me think of a jello mold. If it is, it may not be a great idea to use it to bake. Otherwise I would measure the capacity by filling it with water then measuring that. I imagine you can find a source that tells you the capacity of a 'standard' bundt pan if there is such a thing.

#9 Posted : Saturday, May 28, 2022 8:29:33 PM(UTC)

Angrygreycat - sounds like a savarin tin/mold to me...

Barb_N - would you believe "standard" bundt is 10 inches, and they hold 10-12 cups? ;-) 

#10 Posted : Sunday, May 29, 2022 10:18:16 AM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: debkellie Go to Quoted Post
Angrygreycat - sounds like a savarin tin/mold to me...

Barb_N - would you believe "standard" bundt is 10 inches, and they hold 10-12 cups? ;-)

Aha, yes it does sound like savarin cake pan.  I have one too. 

#11 Posted : Sunday, July 24, 2022 2:29:49 PM(UTC)

Hi everyone.  I just wanted to "close the loop" on this one.  I decided to take a chance, and I made full-size cakes using this recipe, and they were so delicious!  I added this public note to this recipe in the book's index:  

• This is a delicious recipe for mini bundts! I've also successfully used this recipe to make a regular size bundt cake (10 cup pan) by doubling the batter, and a very large cake (18 cup tube pan) by tripling the batter. I used instructions in this article to determine, by thermometer, when the cakes were done: https://www.epicurious.c...kes-thermometer-article. The maple-cream cheese icing is great, but I've also used the book's orange-cream cheese frosting instead. Yummy!