Forum

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Fresh apricot ideas   Go to last post Go to last unread
#1 Posted : Saturday, June 11, 2022 1:27:31 PM(UTC)

We are loaded with fresh apricots.....been sharing with our 3 neighbors.  So far I've made banana bread with 1/3 less banana and about 4 cups of fresh apricots.  I still have lots of apricot jam jars from year before. 

I would really appreciate any ideas for using them besides jams, pies,  and syrups.  Been googling fresh apricot recipe ideas but more than half are using dried.  

#2 Posted : Saturday, June 11, 2022 1:56:33 PM(UTC)

Grill them! A few ideas:

1.) Very lightly brush with a neutral oil; grill until slightly charred; toss with arugula, goat cheese, pine nuts, and a white balsamic vinaigrette.

2.) Stuff with blue cheese; wrap with prosciutto; grill until prosciutto is crisp.

3.) Grill on skewers accompanied by grilled lamb kebabs and couscous.

Now I want fresh apricots too! Not going to happen in northern Vermont unfortunately.  Enjoy your bumper crop.

#3 Posted : Saturday, June 11, 2022 2:17:46 PM(UTC)

ohhhh, those are great ideas.  Definitely making them. Tonight I will pick one to make with sandwiches from Jersey Mike's. Too hot to cook much today. 

#4 Posted : Sunday, June 12, 2022 2:11:43 PM(UTC)

Apricot chicken tangine is good - there are several recipes floating around in EYB and the web.

Apricot, tomato, olive and feta salad

Grilled apricot and brie sandwiches - nice with a bit of rosemary thrown in

One might try apricot lassi ... if mango is good why not apricot?

#5 Posted : Sunday, June 12, 2022 3:53:26 PM(UTC)

Those are great ideas. Apricot and chicken tajine, I did not select that originally because all use dried apricots.  But, as part of our dinner I made chicken flavored rice pilaf earlier and towards the end, added about 2 cups quartered apricots.  Not as intense tasting as dried version, but it still came out fine.  A little different pilaf.  When fresh ones begin to break down, it adds sweet and sour taste (more sour than sweet) which I like more than using dried apricots. 

I plan to add apricots to our salad tonight along with cubed brie and tomorrow will make chicken tajine using fresh apricots by adjusting timing.  

#6 Posted : Sunday, June 12, 2022 5:12:19 PM(UTC)

This recipe from The Kitchn is fantastic, and the Onion Jam part of the recipe calls for Apricot Jam as an ingredient, but I'm sure you could use fresh and let them cook down. When I make this, I always make a big batch. It goes great with the pork, but it works as a relish with all sorts of things.

Pork tenderloin and onion jam sandwiches

#8 Posted : Monday, June 13, 2022 4:54:08 AM(UTC)

Apricot cooked with honey and a touch of lavender... To serve as a dessert, yogurt topping, tart topping...

#9 Posted : Monday, June 13, 2022 5:41:11 AM(UTC)

I haven't made it, though I've eaten it, apricot chutney is good

https://www.bbcgoodfood....s/spiced-apricot-chutney

#7 Posted : Monday, June 13, 2022 9:40:35 AM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: Fyretigger Go to Quoted Post
This recipe from The Kitchn is fantastic, and the Onion Jam part of the recipe calls for Apricot Jam as an ingredient, but I'm sure you could use fresh and let them cook down. When I make this, I always make a big batch. It goes great with the pork, but it works as a relish with all sorts of things.

Pork tenderloin and onion jam sandwiches

Thank you Fyretigger for this suggestion.  You are right, this looks fantastic.  Will certainly make it. Love the idea of onion cooked down and apricots added to provide that sweet and sour taste.  I bet similar idea would work well chicken and fish.  

We had the rice pilaf with apricots for dinner yesterday and we really liked what fresh apricots did to it.  It was slightly sweet with certain sour note.   

#10 Posted : Monday, June 13, 2022 9:52:06 AM(UTC)

Thank you Agaillard and StokeySue.  Very good suggestions. I thought about making chutney and this recipe sounds very nice.  Will make this. Do you normally use chutney as accompaniment to curries?   Although milder, Japanese love all styles of curries.  When serving their oldest version of curry which came from being introduced to British beef stews in the past,  they serve this style of curry  with pickle called fukujinzuke https://www.tasteatlas.com/fukujinzuke or rakkyo which is sweet and sour pickle made from cocktail sized pearl onions. https://japanese-product...3/rakkyo-vs-fukujinzuke/

#11 Posted : Tuesday, June 14, 2022 7:38:17 PM(UTC)

I am so jealous that you have so many apricots already.  We have to wait until early July here in Oregon.  But when they become available my all-time favorite way to use them is in ice cream, specifically the apricot ice cream from Chez Panisse Desserts.  The recipe is deceptively simple but oh so luscious!  I make quarts and quarts of it but it never lasts long.  This book also has recipes for apricot curd, apricot sherbet plus apricot tarts, pies and soufflés.  I bought my copy of this book used long ago and have loved every recipe I've made from it.

#12 Posted : Wednesday, June 15, 2022 8:57:16 AM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: hillsboroks Go to Quoted Post
I am so jealous that you have so many apricots already.  We have to wait until early July here in Oregon.  But when they become available my all-time favorite way to use them is in ice cream, specifically the apricot ice cream from Chez Panisse Desserts.  The recipe is deceptively simple but oh so luscious!  I make quarts and quarts of it but it never lasts long.  This book also has recipes for apricot curd, apricot sherbet plus apricot tarts, pies and soufflés.  I bought my copy of this book used long ago and have loved every recipe I've made from it.

Thank you so much for this info.  I have the book! Apricot ice cream and curd sounds wonderful.  When my plums were giving me abundant fruits, I used to make plum ice cream.  It was very good  and unusual so I can imagine what apricot ice cream would be like. 

#13 Posted : Wednesday, June 15, 2022 1:17:31 PM(UTC)

Creamsicles! I think they would work in these, maybe with different spices

Mango lassi popsicles

#14 Posted : Thursday, June 16, 2022 6:44:20 AM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: Fyretigger Go to Quoted Post
Creamsicles! I think they would work in these, maybe with different spices

Mango lassi popsicles

That looks wonderful and saved.  Although I would love to make this and the ice cream mentioned by hilsboroks, my freezers are too full.  I will have to make some room first.  This looks like it will work with other fruits.  Next up getting ready to harvest is plumcots.  

#15 Posted : Thursday, June 16, 2022 8:31:51 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: Rinshin Go to Quoted Post
<p>my freezers are too full. &nbsp;I will have to make some room first.</p>

Me too. I need to make stock to clear the freezer of the chicken and veggie scrap bags.