Forum

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

A big thank-you to members who post recipe images & Notes   Go to last post Go to last unread
#1 Posted : Monday, March 6, 2023 8:16:13 AM(UTC)
I've been struck in the last few days by the number and quality of images posted by members, and by how much they make me want to cook the recipes they feature.

Camera-less (no, not even on my phone), and without an Instagram account, I'm becoming ever more remote from What's Happening Today. But I very much appreciate those of you with skills & equipment using them here to share your cooking.

Member notes are among the most valuable aspects of the site, and pictures only make them better. Many thanks to all who post.
#2 Posted : Tuesday, March 7, 2023 6:13:08 PM(UTC)

Total agreement.  I am not able to cook now but can't wait to start when we return.  Notes are the best.  

#3 Posted : Thursday, March 9, 2023 1:29:12 PM(UTC)
So often when I’m trying to decide what to cook, I rely heavily on notes and photos.
#4 Posted : Thursday, March 9, 2023 1:54:11 PM(UTC)

This thread reminds me of how much I rely on members' notes but I am negligent in posting my own comments about recipes. I resolve to do better!

#5 Posted : Friday, April 21, 2023 5:40:56 PM(UTC)

Notes are really important for me: other's notes help me decide  whether or not to give a recipe a go. I'd like to be able to add notes to recipes from books I don't have: I may borrow from a library or source via a google search. I don't seem to be able to do that at present, so I created  a bookmark for myself: authors web site, and add the book to my shelf. Am I missing something in using notes? If not, then could EYB consideration be given to being able to make a note on EYB library book recipes (as opposed to my bookshelf library recipes)?

And having a spell check function in notes would be nice too ;-)

#6 Posted : Saturday, April 22, 2023 7:25:15 AM(UTC)
Notes are definitely crucial to my choosing a recipe and to its success. Photos often compensate for absence of such in the cookbook. I’m not sure if it’s what you mean by spellcheck but my ipad underlines misspelled words in red allowing me to correct them.
#7 Posted : Saturday, April 22, 2023 8:54:13 AM(UTC)

debkellie - Bookmarks are a Bookshelf function so it's not possible to add Notes to recipes not on your Bookshelf. Regarding spellcheck, check that you have spellcheck activated on your browser as that would apply to any text entry you do online.

#8 Posted : Saturday, April 22, 2023 9:02:17 AM(UTC)

EYB notes have lead me to so many recipes (in my books & from online sources) that I had passed over for some reason, don't actually remember seeing in the book or likely NEVER would have found online.  Lots of dinner plans have changed based on my morning coffee EYB read.  So for me - notes are crucial!  I also really appreciate when members note changes / subs that worked.  My confidence in adapting recipes based on local availability of ingredients (or what's in my house right now) has soared.  "I can make that work" is now a common phrase in my kitchen...and related to that, I have also noticed that authors are increasingly giving lots of ideas for "playing around/make it your own" with their recipes.

Also - spellcheck works on my laptop & ipad.  I also appreciate both the edit & delete button for notes...sometimes if my internet is slow, I end up posting a note more than once and it's very easy to delete the extras.

Sadly, my confidence level for posting photos has NOT soared but many thanks to everyone who does post them :)

#9 Posted : Saturday, April 22, 2023 10:40:45 PM(UTC)
I’ve been good about adding notes, but this posting lit a fire under me about posting my photos, and I’ve mostly cleared my backlog. I’ve recently learned to caption my photos as soon as possible — I’ll eventually find the other photos I know I have.
#10 Posted : Sunday, April 23, 2023 5:41:16 PM(UTC)
I also use Notes when I'm trying to decide whether or not to buy a cookbook. If a member says that recipes in a cookbook have inaccurate measurements, I probably won't buy the book. If a cookbook has notes that rave about the recipes, that influences me as well.
#11 Posted : Tuesday, May 9, 2023 5:36:59 PM(UTC)

Do we have any screen writers in this membership? Just saw a newly indexed book which tickled my imagination... and looking at others by the same authors I though "what a great TV series these books could make".. dark comedy & food.. potentially a riveting combo.. check out 

Being Dead Is No Excuse: The Official Southern Ladies Guide To Hosting The Perfect Funeral!

Others in the series:

Might see if I can find them online!