There are certain rules which apply to your use of the site. So, allow us to play the "Big Sister" here and explain to you what those are. If you cannot agree with anything written here, you should not join EYB. Although we don't think they're too Draconian we would be interested in hearing from you if there's anything you don't like. These terms are subject to change and will affect all information collected before and after the changes go into effect (see below).
Like any good sister or friend, EYB respects your privacy and will do its utmost to protect it. EYB will not sell any of the information you provide --either when you register or when you use the Website--to any third party. Ever. EYB also reserves the right to collect aggregate information, which will always be anonymous, to be passed on to a third party for our own marketing purposes. (See below)
What information do we collect about you?
In connection with your use of the Website, you will be required to provide certain information about yourself. We have kept to an absolute minimum the required information collected by EYB to use the Website.
- Required information by EYB to register as a Member: This is limited to username and email which are necessary for our admin purposes so we can run the site more efficiently.
- Other information provided by your ISP: includes but not restricted to country.
- Social network profile information - such as Facebook: through 3rd parties this information may also be available and used by EYB for various marketing purposes.
- Optional Information provided on your Profile page: your name (never shown on the website), your city/state, your country, your own description of yourself. Apart from your name all this information will be seen by other users when they click on your username. All can be added, deleted or changed by you.
- Other Information: You may choose to provide EYB with personal information through an email message, form, survey, registration process, etc. This information is used only to fulfill the stated purpose of your communication or participation.
- Payment Information required by Paypal: to make a subscription or gift certificate payment certain information is required by PayPal, including but not restricted to your credit card details and address. NONE of this information is held by EYB. No financial details are available to EYB - other information such as your address may be made available to EYB.
We also keep track of:
- Bookmarks you've created
- Any postings you have made in the Forum
- Ratings and comments you've made on books and recipes
EYB collects all of this information so we can learn more about you, provide you with information that is relevant to you and to make your EYB experience the best it can be.
EYB automatically collects and temporarily stores information about your visit. The information EYB collects enables us to refine and offer better services to you. EYB may share the information collected about you with EYB business partners. The types of information EYB collects include, but are not limited to:
- the date and time of your visit;
- IP addresses;
- browser type, operating system, and language;
- the pages you visited; and
- the address of the website from which you came.
What do we do with our members' personal information?
Sometimes, EYB may use members' personal information for marketing purposes such as to inform you of a cookbook event in your area. However, a member will never be identified personally and EYB will never sell/give away or loan your information to a third party, except as detailed in the section below.
We may, at times, offer special promotions or competitions and you may be asked to provide contact details. The information may be supplied to the sponsor of the competition but this will be clear at the time and you always be given the option to refuse to receive promotional mailings and emails from the sponsor.
To whom may we provide EYB members' personal information?
- Third-Party Service Providers: From time to time, we may need extra help updating our databases, running data reports, or providing customer service. When that happens, a third party service provider may be given access to member information - there will always be a confidentiality agreement in place between EYB and a 3rd party, and their use of the data would be strictly limited to the project for which they were hired.
- Law Enforcement: If legally compelled to do so, EYB would divulge EYB members' personal information.
Communications EYB will send to your email address include but are not restricted to:
- Registration confirmation: EYB will confirm your registration and send you a Welcome and Getting Started email.
- Website maintenance: If we are having any Website operational issues, or need to schedule down-time for site maintenance, we may let you know.
- Email newsletter: We will keep you informed of relevant new book releases, author appearances and anything about cookbooks that we think you'll be interested in. You can accept or refuse newsletter emails from EYB by ticking on the box on your Account page.
You can also unsubscribe by clicking on the link at the bottom of any email from EYB.
Yes (Cookies are small files that a site or its service provider transfers to your computers hard drive through your web browser (if you allow) that enables the sites or service providers systems to recognize your browser and capture and remember certain information.
- Third party vendors, including Google, show our ads on sites on the internet.
Any questions or comments - Contact Us
12/6/2010 - What information do we collect about you? changed to reflect changes made to registration system.
12/6/2010 - We also keep track of - changed to include more detailed information and to reflect changes made to bookmark system.
12/6/2010 - Communication EYB will send to your email address? changed to reflect changes made to registration system.