Forum

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Bourke Street Bakery Book - which flour   Go to last post Go to last unread
Lillibet
#1 Posted : Tuesday, October 04, 2011 4:51:32 AM(UTC)

Hi

i am based in the UK and am about to start making the white starter from this book.  My question is:

the book discusses the use of organic flour for bread as it is naturally stronger and non organic for cakes to stop toughness.  All the bread recipes call for 'flour'; rather than 'strong' or 'bread' flour.  I wondered whether it is an Australian difference in catagorisation.  I assume that in the UK I will still use organic bread flour.  I have made starters before (always using bread flour) but just wanted to check.  I know Canadian bread flour is super strong, and French bread flour always seems a little softer to me, and thought it might be similar for Australian flour?

Anyhoo - any thoughts?

robm
#2 Posted : Tuesday, October 04, 2011 8:26:37 PM(UTC)

I think you're probably safe using regular UK white flour for a starter -- the bacteria will like it and the differences between UK and Australian flour aren't so large that it will affect the bacterial action.  

pfgarden
#3 Posted : Thursday, October 06, 2011 1:09:05 AM(UTC)

Hi You are correct.  If the receipe is for bread then you will need special bread (strong) flour in all other recipes cake flour will do.  In Australia if you are making bread the recipe will assume you are using special bread flour and not plain flour which is used for cakes and pastries.  When creating the starter any organic flour will do.  Once it is established then you should feed it with bread flour.

fiona
#4 Posted : Friday, October 07, 2011 7:50:18 PM(UTC)

David at the Bourke Steet Bakery gave this response when I asked them what they used:

"The flour that we use has 13% protein content which makes it a fairly strong flour. The recipes in the book are most suited to flour of this type so we would recommend that you use a strong or bakers flour, check the protein percentage on the label."

Now we just have to try and make them look and taste like his!  Some great pics and story from David Lebovitz on his trip to BSB last week - he was impressed, which is something, given that he lives in Paris.

Lambsears
#5 Posted : Monday, October 10, 2011 7:17:05 AM(UTC)

Love the Bourke Street Bakery book, but have had no success with their sourdough starter and recipe - and neither has anyone else I know. Be warned.